Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times

Advertisements

Dude, pay up. It stinks, but it only gets worse if you try to hide and ignore it.

Many things in life work like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,774,043 times
I am a little surprised at many of the responses here. I am a landlord of several properties over the past twenty years and I have never been involved in a lease that states the tenant is responsible for NSF charges I incur due to insufficent funds. Yes there are late fees but never will it be written that the tenant is responsible for my NSF charges if I decide to write checks before the rent check clears. The returned check penalty is written in the lease not all NSFs fees the landlord gets.

You are responsible for whatever the lease states. Not what the landlord tells you. Now with that said, you may have late charges that exceed the 300 dollars. But I would be surprised if you were legally obligated to pay for all the landlords NSF fees in addition to what is documented in the lease for late charges. That is a risk landlords have to accept, which is why the late rent penalties are so high.

With that aside, if it was me I would try to find a reasonable solution to keep the relationship with your landlord healthy( assuming it is healthy). I think this is what most responders are trying to say.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,270,543 times
My leases all state that in addition to the rent still being owed, tenants have must pay my bank charges for NSF (usually $30-$40) a late fee penalty of $100, and $75/day that the rent remains unpaid, with interest accruing daily from the date rent should have been paid.

I dont run a hotel, I am not a charity. I own rental property for a profit...Period. I take good care of my tenants, and I expect to be paid timely in full every single time.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
I don't see why the OP should be responsible for paying NSF fees on checks the landlord wrote. The landlord should not be writing checks for funds that are not physically in their account. What if the OP's check didn't bounce but took an extra day or two to clear? Would it be right for the landlord to demand payment for NSF fees from the OP because the check took longer to post than expected? I absolutely agree OP should be responsible for all NSF (for the check the OP wrote) and late fees as stipulated in the lease.

Is the landlord demanding late fees in addition to the $300 of NSF fees?
It was my understanding that the $300 was the total - not the addition to all other charges. No, the landlord would not be entitled to both.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 AM

88 posts, read 123,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
...I am a landlord of several properties over the past twenty years and I have never been involved in a lease that states the tenant is responsible for NSF charges I incur due to insufficent funds. Yes there are late fees but never will it be written that the tenant is responsible for my NSF charges if I decide to write checks before the rent check clears. The returned check penalty is written in the lease not all NSFs fees the landlord gets...
This was exactly my point earlier. The landlord is not entitled to being paid NSF charges on checks the landlord wrote.

Look, I agree the OP made a huge mistake here, but why are people never willing to take responsibility for their own actions? If you write checks for funds that are not physically in your account, you take on the risk for those checks bouncing. Plain and simple. Quit trying to pass the buck, accept the consequences of the mistake you made.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I am a little surprised at many of the responses here. I am a landlord of several properties over the past twenty years and I have never been involved in a lease that states the tenant is responsible for NSF charges I incur due to insufficent funds. Yes there are late fees but never will it be written that the tenant is responsible for my NSF charges if I decide to write checks before the rent check clears. The returned check penalty is written in the lease not all NSFs fees the landlord gets.

You are responsible for whatever the lease states. Not what the landlord tells you. Now with that said, you may have late charges that exceed the 300 dollars. But I would be surprised if you were legally obligated to pay for all the landlords NSF fees in addition to what is documented in the lease for late charges. That is a risk landlords have to accept, which is why the late rent penalties are so high.

With that aside, if it was me I would try to find a reasonable solution to keep the relationship with your landlord healthy( assuming it is healthy). I think this is what most responders are trying to say.
My guess is the $300 are the charges everyone, yourself included, are talking about - and the tenant OP is confused as to what that $300 actually represents. Run a calculator on marksmu's leases and you will see that paying that $300 is something of a bargain (I bet marksmu doesn't have very many people pay rent late - which was his sensible goal).

Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM

556 posts, read 1,087,468 times
The standard TAR lease does not provide any relief to the landlord for the NSF fees.

Read your lease and see what it says.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,774,043 times
Perhaps the OP is confused but the original post says that the landlord is wanting payment for the fees incurred from the landlord authorizing payments before the rent cleared.
Either way there is definitely some late penalty due. Its not the amount that is question (since none of us know how long it was before the payment did in fact clear) but the method or wording being used by the landlord to demand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: