Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

74 posts, read 87,105 times

Advertisements

So we bought a house in The Woodlands about a month ago. Couple days ago I noticed a discoloration in the exterior stone veneer which looks - to my layman eyes - to be dampness. This is right by one of the drain pipes. Am I seeing this right or am I missing something? Is there anything I should be doing about this other than to make sure there are no drainage issues? Who should I call? A mason, gutter guy, handyman?

Hopefully the attached picture makes what I am trying to say clear. Remember this is after weeks of no rain.
Attached Thumbnails
What could be causing this?-img_4860.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM

115 posts, read 230,480 times
does look damp... and there's even black dirt\mold on the side.

may be a stretch but is the gutter clogged?

how high does the dampness go up? all the way up the house?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:44 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,786,305 times
more than likely the gutter connection is leaking and causing morning dew to run down the wall. I'd check the gutter connection.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:49 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,336,959 times
It's been doing it for a while, based on the mildew. Is your downspout clogged? It may be holding water and it's gradually leaking out.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Ok....I am suspecting the gutter as well. Will go clean that up. Its the Woodlands....so with all the pine needles, there's never a clean gutter. Other than making sure the downspout/gutter's fine...what else? How do I clean the mildew? Just a hard scrub with Lysol? Forgive me if I sound like a total clueless moron. When it comes to something like this, I really am.

As for how high it goes....all the way up the wall to the connection of the gutter and the downspout.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,336,959 times
You can get a mildew remover. Costco/HD/Lowes should have it. It's a spray on and ignore deal. It works well. Wet & Forget 0.5 gal. Moss Mold Mildew and Algae Stain Remover-800003 - The Home Depot

First fix your problem. It's probably plugged and holding water, which is seeping out the joints/seams.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,279,551 times
Check around your other gutters...its possible that your gutters were installed before your builder had a chance to acid wash the stone there....If that is the case, they would all look the same. Otherwise I agree with the other posters, to check your gutters.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Check around your other gutters...its possible that your gutters were installed before your builder had a chance to acid wash the stone there....If that is the case, they would all look the same. Otherwise I agree with the other posters, to check your gutters.
I am sure the gutters could use cleaning but this is the only place where I have seen this behavior.

mikeyyc, thanks for the mildew remover link.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM

ok.....quick update. Gutters look fine. No blocks, clutter, standing water or seepage. So it is just water splashing over. Looks like a larger downspout or some gutter re-design is called for.

I am also of the opinion that it is not this stone which is discolored as much as the rest of the wall which needs a powerwash. The water splashing over is keeping this corner clean. If I just powerwash the rest of the walls....the grout would get cleaned and the rest of the walls would look the same color as well. We'll see.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usulbaggins View Post
ok.....quick update. Gutters look fine. No blocks, clutter, standing water or seepage. So it is just water splashing over. Looks like a larger downspout or some gutter re-design is called for.

I am also of the opinion that it is not this stone which is discolored as much as the rest of the wall which needs a powerwash. The water splashing over is keeping this corner clean. If I just powerwash the rest of the walls....the grout would get cleaned and the rest of the walls would look the same color as well. We'll see.
Ok, I wanted to come back and update this thread. Larger downspout did not help. I want to run another scenario by the people on the forum. In the attached picture you can see there is no flashing on the left side above the porch. Could that be the problem? Should there be flashing there or is that a no no with stone veneer?

There is flashing on the right side (barely visible in the picture) and we have no such problems on that side.
Attached Thumbnails
What could be causing this?-img_4988.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: