Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 AM

74 posts, read 75,267 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an Atlanta native who's lived in Tampa for about ten years now and looking for a change of scenery. I've never really thought about living in Texas, however, recently I've been hearing that it is a fully diverse city much like that of my hometown of Atlanta. Therefore, I wanted to know if anyone could provide me both positive/negative feed back on the job market, cost of living, decent areas to live, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:47 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,774,988 times
With the current job market, I wouldn't even consider moving here without a job.

I'm not saying it's horrible or anything like that, but it's tight enough where I don't believe it's worth the gamble.

Five to seven years ago when the market was booming and the COL didn't start rising so much, it may have been worth the risk, but that time is gone, IMHO.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 PM

657 posts, read 745,161 times
What Pedro said. I moved away, came back and was surprised how tight the job market became.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM

7,904 posts, read 11,501,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson80 View Post
Hello,

I'm an Atlanta native who's lived in Tampa for about ten years now and looking for a change of scenery. I've never really thought about living in Texas, however, recently I've been hearing that it is a fully diverse city much like that of my hometown of Atlanta. Therefore, I wanted to know if anyone could provide me both positive/negative feed back on the job market, cost of living, decent areas to live, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Dallas is diverse and has a good job market less energy activity dependent than Houston. It's still best to have job before coming due to the size of the metroplex making living near work a must So you need to know where you work. It's risky to comewithoutajob but less sothanhouston depending on your job experience.

What is your line of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: