Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I agree with you. It looks like they're trying to do pecan grove a favor by taking it out of Lamar and put north Rosenberg and canyon gate in Lamar since that's the path of least political resistance? Unfortunately I suspect that's how some of these things go down. You can tell who is probably involved in the process and who isn't.
Valid point.

George Ranch and Foster were both self-fulfilling prophecies (and Fulshear will follow suit): build a school that will pull from existing affluent neighborhoods and areas, school performs well in its initial years, new developments come in at a price point that further perpetuates this self-fulfilling prophecy, etc. Greatwood was interesting in that it was built in LCISD but zoned to the then lesser of two schools and made Lamar equal to (and eventually superior) to Terry in the minds of residents. But it had the numbers and wealth and proximity to Sugar Land to ensure the barrier to entry in the neighborhood was above lower-middle class home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I was around for the last rezoning in Lamar. The big issue then was economic diversity. It created quite an uproar, and I think this one has the potential to be nastier than that one. There is no way they let one school have 18% economic disadvantage, and another one in the 60% range. It is going to get hairy.
It probably wouldn't have a huge impact in terms of numbers, but if you re-zoned Kendleton to one of the "affluent schools", that might balance things out a little bit. They aren't zoned to Terry, which is closer to Kendleton than Lamar, so at the present it's not a geography-based decision.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I agree with you. It looks like they're trying to do pecan grove a favor by taking it out of Lamar and put north Rosenberg and canyon gate in Lamar since that's the path of least political resistance? Unfortunately I suspect that's how some of these things go down. You can tell who is probably involved in the process and who isn't. Then again, it might not be that sinister; like you alluded to, the geography makes it tough to make it equitable. It might just be that it is what it is.
A lot of it too is where are the "power" neighborhoods zoned to - that will dictate a lot of the perception and, as a result, the home values of other smaller neighborhoods. All of those neighborhoods along FM 762 benefit from being zoned to George Ranch, but George Ranch primarily benefits from pulling Greatwood (as well as Bridlewood and Royal Lakes, but those numbers are fewer.) I understand you can only make a neighborhood drive so far when there's a high school just on the other side of the (traffic-heavy) FM road and railroad tracks, so some neighborhoods are destined to be zoned to certain schools.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:49 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,996 times
Athletically Tara helps as well as other areas right off 762 so they are competing at a high level...then you add the rural athlete in thomosons and you have a solid mix

A coach told me in the 2000s when they lost Tara and mud alley declined to nothing in Richmond he saw Lamar's struggles forthcoming

Lamar cisd is like fort bend as certain neighborhoods will be desired and the district will cater to them in so many ways to keep them happy....

Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM

61 posts, read 80,945 times
Very interesting developments with the zonings. It appears George Ranch in all three plans will not be touched virtually at all, they'll be approaching a Katy-sized high school until the new one opens up in 2020 or so. Foster looks to become the smallest of the five as years go on, but expect three new high schools, three new junior highs, and probably 10-12 new elementarys in the next eight years. The projections are mindboggling.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:45 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,996 times
why Lamar wants small schools? who knows....its a hassle when it comes to uil activities as alot of schools are outside Houston

they move up to 6A and you can group up with FBISD or even Katy somewhat overnight and save tons of gas as you can cut trips to calhoun and angleton easily...

Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM

331 posts, read 487,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
Very interesting developments with the zonings. It appears George Ranch in all three plans will not be touched virtually at all, they'll be approaching a Katy-sized high school until the new one opens up in 2020 or so. Foster looks to become the smallest of the five as years go on, but expect three new high schools, three new junior highs, and probably 10-12 new elementarys in the next eight years. The projections are mindboggling.
All of the triangle between 762, 2759 & 59 (i.e., canyon gate area) could come out of George ranch. That's a pretty good swath of land and those folks aren't gonna be happy.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:33 AM

65 posts, read 135,935 times
I'd be furious if my kid was at George Ranch and got rezoned to Terry.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:28 AM

331 posts, read 487,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScarlett07 View Post
I'd be furious if my kid was at George Ranch and got rezoned to Terry.
I think it's lamar not terry. And I also think you're grandfathered in if you're already at George ranch. There probably isn't a difference in the quality of education, just socioeconomic differences. But point taken. I think it has more to do with perceptions and property values than anything. That is mostly what I'd be concerned with. It is what it is.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:50 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
Years ago my former neighborhood was zoned out of Foster and into Lamar. The development has basically been stagnant since and so have prices. I wouldn't say it killed the neighborhood, more like a slow death or torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston