Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,691 times

Advertisements

hello all? I will be moving to houston within the next six weeks and would like to were some hot spots are to meeting single people in there 20's.I not really a drinker so i'm not into clubs. a mixed scene of people is what I am really looking for. I will be near the med center so somewhere close would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,447,420 times
Other than the usual club/bar thing, here are some off the wall suggestions that may be fun:

I know this sounds lame, and you may not be the type, but I have had more friends find their significant others through a church in Houston than I can think of. Its like a Southern date factory around here. Of course, if it would be to ONLY meet singles, it might not be the best, but the church my wife and I attend has young singles/professional classes/groups.

This also sounds funny, but a buddy of mine met a girl at a Rockets game. Just went up to her and asked for her number. I'm always surprised at the number of young, good looking people at basketball games compared to other sports.

Through my wife's work, we attend a variety of charity galas/functions. While 80% of the folks are old rich people at these things, there are always a surprising number of younger singles (either children of old/rich folks, or are there from work, etc). Many are somewhate expensive to attend, but others are pretty reasonable.

Maybe by volunteering at charity organizations you can meet people.

Make friends with people from work, good source of networking...not just for career, but for meeting new people. CAREFUL on this one.

A single friend of mine met her future husband at a bowling league for under 30s. Sounds lame, but they are a really good match.

Further your education by taking classes in something...community college, graduate studies, adult education, dance class, cooking class, etc. Aim for activities with similar age group.

If living in an apartment complex, find a newer, hipper place to live in a lively part of town (midtown/uptown) with young professionals and singles. Another friend of mine has scored dates with 2 or 3 girls from surrounding apartments by just chatting in the hall, seeing them at the pool, etc.

Hmmm...I can't think of anything else. I was trying to stay away from the obvious. Heck, if you are easy going and confident you can usually find yourself with the ability to score a date just by asking out people when they pique your interest and not being afraid.

My Dad likes to tell a story of a good friend he had in college. His friend was dorky, not particularly good looking, not rich, etc. Nice guy, but not Romeo by any means. Anyways, he apparently ALWAYS had a date on Friday or Saturday night with very attractive girls. My Dad said it was unreal. Finally married a very attractive girl and apparently they lived happily ever after. Well, my Dad was wondering how he was able to do it. He explained to my Dad that it was easy. He just asked out every pretty girl he was interested in. Most were flattered, but declined. Some laughed at him. Some just ignored him. But about 1 out of 10 would take him up on his offer. He said it was amazing how many girls that were smart, attractive, and fun sat home with their girlfriends on Friday/Saturday night because nobody was man enough to just ask them out. Got to have an easy going attitude and some thick skin, but if you go for it, you can probably end up with a date every weekend just by asking out girls (in a non creepy way) you meet around town.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 AM

619 posts, read 2,172,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Other than the usual club/bar thing, here are some off the wall suggestions that may be fun:

I know this sounds lame, and you may not be the type, but I have had more friends find their significant others through a church in Houston than I can think of. Its like a Southern date factory around here. Of course, if it would be to ONLY meet singles, it might not be the best, but the church my wife and I attend has young singles/professional classes/groups.

This also sounds funny, but a buddy of mine met a girl at a Rockets game. Just went up to her and asked for her number. I'm always surprised at the number of young, good looking people at basketball games compared to other sports.

Through my wife's work, we attend a variety of charity galas/functions. While 80% of the folks are old rich people at these things, there are always a surprising number of younger singles (either children of old/rich folks, or are there from work, etc). Many are somewhate expensive to attend, but others are pretty reasonable.

Maybe by volunteering at charity organizations you can meet people.

Make friends with people from work, good source of networking...not just for career, but for meeting new people. CAREFUL on this one.

A single friend of mine met her future husband at a bowling league for under 30s. Sounds lame, but they are a really good match.

Further your education by taking classes in something...community college, graduate studies, adult education, dance class, cooking class, etc. Aim for activities with similar age group.

If living in an apartment complex, find a newer, hipper place to live in a lively part of town (midtown/uptown) with young professionals and singles. Another friend of mine has scored dates with 2 or 3 girls from surrounding apartments by just chatting in the hall, seeing them at the pool, etc.

Hmmm...I can't think of anything else. I was trying to stay away from the obvious. Heck, if you are easy going and confident you can usually find yourself with the ability to score a date just by asking out people when they pique your interest and not being afraid.

My Dad likes to tell a story of a good friend he had in college. His friend was dorky, not particularly good looking, not rich, etc. Nice guy, but not Romeo by any means. Anyways, he apparently ALWAYS had a date on Friday or Saturday night with very attractive girls. My Dad said it was unreal. Finally married a very attractive girl and apparently they lived happily ever after. Well, my Dad was wondering how he was able to do it. He explained to my Dad that it was easy. He just asked out every pretty girl he was interested in. Most were flattered, but declined. Some laughed at him. Some just ignored him. But about 1 out of 10 would take him up on his offer. He said it was amazing how many girls that were smart, attractive, and fun sat home with their girlfriends on Friday/Saturday night because nobody was man enough to just ask them out. Got to have an easy going attitude and some thick skin, but if you go for it, you can probably end up with a date every weekend just by asking out girls (in a non creepy way) you meet around town.

Wow...i`m married now but...i liked the last part....it`s like the lottery...just keep on playing...!!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM

151 posts, read 642,186 times
Yah!! And, um, what church do you attend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Wow...i`m married now but...i liked the last part....it`s like the lottery...just keep on playing...!!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 AM

619 posts, read 2,172,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka709 View Post
Yah!! And, um, what church do you attend?
Ericka....wanna go out? j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: