Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,116 posts, read 14,943,253 times

Advertisements

Kind of a man bites dog story. Neighborhoods are suing because MTA is NOT building rail.

Lawsuit seeks to halt Post Oak bus project - Houston Chronicle

A homeowner's association is suing Metro over its involvement in plans to run bus lanes along Post Oak Boulevard, saying the project puts the agency at odds with a 2003 referendum that included adding a rail line along the corridor.
The project stalled last year when Metro sought an opinion from then Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. In order to secure state funds for the project, Metro sought to clarify whether an agreement with TxDOT, which specified the bus project "will not support a rail component," put the agency in conflict with its 2003 referendum in which voters approved adding a light rail along the Post Oak corridor. TxDOT made clear it was not interested in getting in the middle of a light rail debate.
But the opinion became a non-issue when federal lawmakers passed the fiscal 2015 spending plan, including language inserted by Rep. John Culberson, R-Houston, that forbid any federal money from going to rail projects along Post Oak north of Richmond, and Richmond west of Shepherd. In January, TxDOT said it was no longer concerned.
According to the lawsuit filed by attorney Andy Taylor, Metro pulled down its request for an opinion from the AG's office. Taylor is representing the Cosmopolitan Condominium Association, which sits along Post Oak, and Jim Scarborough, a vocal opponent of the project.
Taylor said that voters have only consented to light rail along the corridor, and Metro's involvement in the Post Oak bus project breaches its contract with voters.
"Metro should immediately announce its abandonment of the Project, admit that it violates Metro's contract with the voters, and, should it desire to pursue light rail, then, in accordance with its recent agreement with Congressman John Culberson, go back to the electorate with a new referendum on whether light rail should be approved on Post Oak Boulevard," Taylor said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,524,426 times
A rail line would have been less distructive to Post Oak imho,and connected to other rail lines in the city at some point. There are places along Post Oak that have zero space for widening except to plow the POST OAK trees, and I don't know what they will do about keeping the sidewalks. This problem is right next to the Cosmopolitan.Other spots have nice green barriers between the roads and buildings. They will be encroached upon.

Those express bus lanes will widen Post Oak only for those buses, plow trees, engulf green space and no one who lives in the area will use them anyway, nor the suburbanites coming in to shop/work/dine,so no real traffic relief. There's already Metro service on Post Oak, and it already serves the people wanting to get in and out of the area on a bus.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-15-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,963,419 times
I agree that the bus idea is terrible. A rail line from Post oak/galleria to IAH would be the right thing.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:13 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,780,592 times
Smh...

Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,407,062 times
That area has terrible traffic, and a dedicated bus line won't decrease traffic. I don't see how they can accomplish it and have it look nice.

I don't see packed buses right now. They are virtually empty.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,293,490 times
Default And...

And, the dedicated bus lanes will create a barrier much like the light rail on Main did.

I hate to bash my own country/city, but I have to here for a minute... I've been to many places in Europe that have light rail/trolleys, and those of you who have been know what I'm talking about. Why are we so 'stupid' that we have to create barriers, and yet accidents still happen, when in Europe, there are no barriers, and though accidents happen, they are a rare occurrence given how many exist, and run in any particular city. It would be great if people here learned how to pay attention, and the city did not have to muck up Main street with the barriers, and no left turn intersections. If they were able to do this in the Galleria area, that would be great... but I know I am dreaming.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM

657 posts, read 741,488 times
Purpose of making Main st a non left turn street? Freaking idiot whoever decided that.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,227,577 times
I rode the rail the other day from mlk to museum district....I like it and makes sense but it takes 40 minutes to get from 3rd ward to museum district....an east west line is needed badly to cut the trip down

Old 06-16-2015, 01:47 AM

657 posts, read 741,488 times
Why did they build it on MLK? Out of all the places...

Old 06-16-2015, 09:06 AM

5,639 posts, read 4,968,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Why did they build it on MLK? Out of all the places...
It was originally proposed on Scott but the residents had METRO move it to MLK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston