Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,220 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Houston in early September for work and I am looking for advice on which areas would be ideal to buy a house in. Here's the scoop....I am not too worried about commute/traffic as I work odd hours - 5a-2p. I'm single, active and like to have fun but I also like to have a quiet home life. I have two boxer dogs that are a priority. I don't need a huge yard as they get walked, but that wouldn't hurt. I'm hoping to spend around $350K if I end up in Sugar Land or Pear Land but I'd be willing to go as high as $450K if I find something I like in the Heights or somewhere near the city. Yes - I know that there is a VAST difference between living in the city and what you can get in a suburb but I've heard the Heights is the way to go, especially if you're about to afford it. I have heard that I'll be bored out of my mind living in Sugar Land/Pear Land as a single girl but I like master planned communities. I've lived in Summerlin in Las Vegas for the past 10 years and love the beauty of MPC's.
Most important to me is location, location, location. I just want to buy in a place where the property value will hold (ideally increase), and where the is a bit of a pulse within a couple miles. I don't want to have to drive 10 miles for any kind of decent meal. Also, I'll be working near West University area.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here's where I'm considering: Heights, Aliana, Southern Trails, Shadow Creek Ranch, New Territory, Riverstone, Grand Mission Estates. Any of those you'd strongly advise FOR or AGAINST? Anything you'd suggest that I'm missing? I'm visiting Houston for the first time next week to check out the neighborhoods, but would love some advice from you all so I can map out a plan of attack in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 AM

122 posts, read 223,696 times
1) Rent first for 6 months to a year to get to know the city. You don't want to make a $350k to $450k mistake.
2) The oil and gas industry in not looking good...I predict there'll will be a significant correction in real estate prices
3) Get established in your new job. Make sure your employer likes you and wants to keep you. Same for you, make sure you like your new job.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,770,821 times
Check into Rice Military as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,308,241 times
Oak Forest and Timbergrove

Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM

42 posts, read 78,748 times
My advice to you is similar to above. Find an apartment or house to rent for 6 months to a year and get to know Houston before thinking about buying a house. You may want to contact an apartment/house locator or realtor to find a safe neighborhood close to dog parks and walking trails. You will have plenty of time then to make a great decision for your future. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:03 PM

581 posts, read 617,716 times
Another vote for Oak Forest/Garden Oaks/Timbergrove. Big lots, friendly quiet neighborhood that's closer to town than the burbs. And you can find a small, nicely updated original home for ~400k.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:08 PM

345 posts, read 814,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Another vote for Oak Forest/Garden Oaks/Timbergrove. Big lots, friendly quiet neighborhood that's closer to town than the burbs. And you can find a small, nicely updated original home for ~400k.
wouldn't that area be a ***** to commute using 610? it's my only concern of getting a place there.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 PM

581 posts, read 617,716 times
my wife drives into downtown from TC jester and 610 everyday around 8am and has little issue. 45 gets backed up but still moves pretty well...her commute is less than 30min most days unless there is a wreck or something...

I work in the energy corridor and my commute is about 15-20min on avg.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM

345 posts, read 814,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
my wife drives into downtown from TC jester and 610 everyday around 8am and has little issue. 45 gets backed up but still moves pretty well...her commute is less than 30min most days unless there is a wreck or something...

I work in the energy corridor and my commute is about 15-20min on avg.
i guess but i was more referring to 610 between 45 and 59 which yall conveniently don't work near

Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM

635 posts, read 1,707,483 times
I agree, Oak Forest, Lazybrook and Timbergrove...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston