Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,118 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

It is likely that I will be transferred to Houston in the next (3-4 months. I was lucky enough to find this forum along with har.com for real estate.

Here's what I know so far:

*My job will be downtown at One Houston Center on McKinney St.

*I don't want a commute longer than 30-40 min.

*I see that property taxes are quite high, so we'll have to scale down our price range-----likely $150,000 to $175,000.

*There's just (2) of us---empty nesters. Need 3 bdr., garage, pool would be nice.

*We are 8 yrs. from retirement and will move then, so resale is a consideration.

I've looked at homes in Kingwood and Spring so far, and found severla that would suit our needs. but would like some suggestions for areas closer to my work in safe neighborhoods. ANy help you can give us is much appreciated. Did I leave out some more info. you would need?? Let me know.

Many thanks
Grampy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,613 times
Try Pearland. Commute is not as long as some of the other areas. Fall Creek/Atascocita is also another area you should look at. Short commuter times (they are located in NE Houston). Resale won't be a problem in any of those areas.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,754,298 times
Perhaps the commute is not as long in distance, but 288 is underdeveloped and notoriously slow, downtown all the way to FM 518. That's gonna be 30-40 minutes in the morning maybe, but not in the afternoon. Also remember Pearland extends about 10 miles of slow city streets to the east of 288. 518/288 (Silverlake area) has its share of petty crime nonsense, too, due to the easy getaway route.

59 Eastex is likely better from all the things I've heard, but I can't speak for it because the south half of the metro area is all I really know and have dealt with on a daily basis for the past 30 yrs.

Sounds like your commute budget needs to be closer to 1 hour each way. That will open up lots more options in your price range.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,118 times
Thank you, folks. Actually, we are able to find homes in our price range 30-40 min. away, but it's really hard to tell what the neighborhoods are like from a few home pictures online.

I appreciate the responses, and welcome more input on neighborhoods in this range.

Grampy

Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM

764 posts, read 1,425,337 times
If you are looking at Spring, depending on your schedule, plan for an hour or so for your commute to downtown even if the Mapquest/Yahoo map estimates tell you otherwise (if not a little more if there is an accident or something). I wouldn't go any further north than FM 2920 and I-45 in your search for housing or your commute is going to get rather long (again, this if you have your heart set on Spring) - and even that is really pushing it.

I agree with the poster who suggested Atascocita/Fall Creek or maybe Kingwood.

Best wishes to you and welcome to Houston!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,613 times
It doesn't take an hour.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
Thank you, folks. Actually, we are able to find homes in our price range 30-40 min. away, but it's really hard to tell what the neighborhoods are like from a few home pictures online.

I appreciate the responses, and welcome more input on neighborhoods in this range.

Grampy
I just re-read your post - may I make a suggestion? Would you consider the possibility of renting for 6 months or so while you get to know the area? It would give you time to look around more, drive through the neighborhoods/areas you are considering, actually see what the commute is like, etc.

As far as neighborhood input, do you have any specific links to the houses you were looking at? I know sometimes the pictures online can be deceiving and it's difficult to get a feel of the neighborhood by the pictures alone.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
It doesn't take an hour.
It doesn't anymore? I stand corrected then! It used to when I made the commute a few years ago.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,849,640 times
I lived in Spring for 5 years and yes, if you are commuting at peak hours plan on an hour. Kingwood has the freeway reworked which helps, but it would be similar. Definitely an hour if you live farther back in the development.

If you do decide to go to that area then be aware that for resale value the homes in Spring ISD are not doing as well as those in Klein, and within Klein, the areas zoned to Klein Forest High apparently are not as popular.

I would strongly suggest you go closer in since you don't have kids, plus I think closer in areas hold more promise (no guarantees) of better appreciation potential.

North/Northwest
Oak Forest - off the north loop, but try to stay east of White Oak Bayou (flanked by T.C. Jester Blvd). The larger homes are more to the north of the subdivision. These are mostly homes from the 50's in a wide variety of condition, but they would be smaller. North of Oak Forest you might also find something in Candlelight Estates or Ella Lee Forest. These would be larger, more 60's era homes and you could get a little more space for your money.

Southwest
I don't think you will find anything due west, as this covers Houston's tony neighborhoods like Memorial, Tanglewood & Briargrove. At the SW corner of 610 you might comb Westbury & Parkwest, generally the areas north and east within that subdivision are better, Westbury sections 1 & 2, and Parkwest east of Hillcroft. South of about Ludington it gets sketchy. The homes zoned to Parker elementary will have better resale than the ones zoned to Anderson. East of Post Oak, south of the loop try Post Oak Manor, Willowbend and Willowbrook and see if there is anything. Again these are all 50's era ranch type homes.

East
East is still a bit more of an urban frontier, although it isn't what a lot of people assume it to be. Idylwood would be the exception to the transitional nature. It has always been nice and is encapsulated by a convent, a golf course and a cemetery that keeps it in its own little oasis. That price range would be a fixer upper in there though.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,754,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
It doesn't anymore? I stand corrected then! It used to when I made the commute a few years ago.

You won't be spending 1 hr on the freeway but door to door can easily take this long. Even to Pearland. People forget that it sometimes takes 5-10 minutes to ride the elevators down after quittin' time, 15-20 minutes just to get on the freeway from the parking lots, and another 10-15 to get home after the last exit is made. Though in my own commute I don't use elevator wait times as part of the ride home.

The naysayer isn't even old enough to legally buy Playboys yet, therefore a 5 o'clock commute from a big downtown building's parking area has most likely never been a part of his own personal, day to day life.

(Though to his credit, I will say he is quite knowledgable otherwise.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston