Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,285,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Its only going to get worse until houston tackles public transport
It's already worse than ever..."Houston, We've Had a Problem" for much too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,303,613 times
Default Another feather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston takes off
Located on the eastern coast of Texas, the US’s second most populous state, Houston, has risen up the ranking to third place. Placing second in the Business Friendliness category for major cities, Houston is home to 14 companies on the FT Global 500 list and boasts business start up times of less than six days. There were 48 expansion projects in Houston in the five years to December 2014, showing the city’s enduring credibility with investors.
The US ranks highly in the strength of investor protection, corruption perception and economic freedom indices, adding to Houston’s allure. An accessible city for investors, its local George Bush International airport provides global connections to 67 locations and it boasts seven ports connecting to shipping routes in the Gulf of Mexico – helping it rank third in the Connectivity category for major cities.

American Cities of the Future 2015/16 Winners - Locations - fDiIntelligence.com
Thanks for sharing. Now, was the article written before the dire predictions regarding drought? Maybe Houston becomes second in the coming years?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 PM

58 posts, read 93,280 times
When relocating to Houston in 2011; I was aware of the traffic issue, but Good gracious Houston's city planning department should be lined up and shot; all of them dating back to beginning of time.

I just don't get it; up to 2hrs of traffic to get home from work (26miles) and that was me paying to be in traffic for 2hrs using the tolls. Had to put a stop to that; still takes me 2hrs to get home, but at least I'm not getting screwed twice.

Sadly, there simply isn't a fix for Houston's traffic problem....

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,807,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Its only going to get worse until houston tackles public transport
Ha...nearly every major city without draconian disincentives to car use (ie London congestion charge) has terrible traffic, no matter how excellent the public transport. Come to think of it...even London has terrible traffic.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,528,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherofTwinGirls View Post
When relocating to Houston in 2011; I was aware of the traffic issue, but Good gracious Houston's city planning department should be lined up and shot; all of them dating back to beginning of time.

I just don't get it; up to 2hrs of traffic to get home from work (26miles) and that was me paying to be in traffic for 2hrs using the tolls. Had to put a stop to that; still takes me 2hrs to get home, but at least I'm not getting screwed twice.

Problem with blaming the City of Houston is that traffic is a regional problem. People make the choices to live in the suburbs and commute into the city by themselves. They want a comprehensive mass transit system, that other tax payers will pay for, so that those other people will use it and leave the roadways to them...... If not me then who ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Ha...nearly every major city without draconian disincentives to car use (ie London congestion charge) has terrible traffic, no matter how excellent the public transport. Come to think of it...even London has terrible traffic.
see post above ^^^^^^

Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,254,330 times
Quote:

2 hrs for a 26 mile commute?? What is your specific commute? How bad is your morning commute?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM

18,151 posts, read 25,365,661 times
Quote:

I'm gonna make a wild guess... you live in The Woodlands

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 PM

6,491 posts, read 4,102,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm gonna make a wild guess... you live in The Woodlands
That isn't even wild Only someone in The Woodlands would have that commute. Come on guys at least it's not Africa, where I was born and raised on the way to America we missed our plain even though the city of Port Harcourt is geographically the size of Sugar Land and it's surrounding neighborhoods and cities.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/4.98...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0
It took 5 hours to get from the area mapped out to the Airport. We missed our flight, b ut we were lucky the pilots who were supposed to fly the plane arrived slightly less than an hour before us as they were stuck in traffic also take it mind we left 3 hours early for a normal as the map say half and hour to 1 hour journey.
Port Harcourt only has 1.2-1.5 million in the city proper and probably up to 5-20 million uses this as their "International airport" as their are no other large airports that fly internationally within 100 miles of that one. but only about 1 million to half a million can afford to buy an international ticket and only 50-100,000 would need to buy an international ticket. Yet somehow in a third world country the sheer number of cars in the rural area where the airport is located had the road backed up all the way into the city. The funny thing is my Dad know has a 1 hour 30 minute commute from Katy to the Woodlands because he got moved from the Energy Corridor and he doesn't even talk about it because he knows what real traffic is.
Not trying to paint Nigeria or Africa as a terrible place but my mom knows several people who have died in traffic because they suffered complications in their car and couldn't go to the hospital, had a heat stroke when the car was to hot and died. The worst one is when traffic is so slow that People sell food to you in the middle of the Highway (they do that when traffic is fast also), Or you get robbed on the Highway by armed robbers going car to car cause traffic is at a stand still. My mom's friend even had to abandon her car in traffic and puick it up the next day and she was driving less than a mile down the road to get gas at the store traffic was backed up unto her own residential street.
So me I am happy for Houston although I agree our rail system gets it's butt handed to by Montpellier France a metro area of a half million people???
Sorry for the rant, and the truth is all these stories are sadly true.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM

1,136 posts, read 927,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Word.

BTW I was leaving the medical center at 5:30 pm yesterday and saw the south bound light rail half empty. And a bus passed by completely empty going in the same direction. We are going to need a whole lot more toy trains and a whole lot more participation to reduce congestion. Truth is the city is FUBAR.
What part of the medical center were you leaving? Most of the rail's traffic is between preston station downtown and the medical center transit center at fannin and main. Also every other train is a double train . They don't fill up as fast while the single ones can have you packed like a sardine. I have seen the rail so packed people had to wait for another.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 PM

1,136 posts, read 927,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
So you are saying traffic problems should never be tackled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston