Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 03:16 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,826,811 times

Advertisements

By the way, Houston321, how do you feel in terms of crime/safety versus Boston? Apples and oranges I know: Boston is puny compared to Houston. I'm just trying to take the comments here on citydata with a grain of salt.

I know there is more crime here for sure, but I don't notice it unless I watch the "news"...there is usually at least one murder every night on the news, which is different than Boston. Get an alarm system on your home and car, and just be smart and you will be fine. It is worth it to spend a little bit more to get in a good neighborhood if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Strictly out of curiosity, and not to derail the thread, but why Johnston? My kids are young, with the oldest being in Pre-K, so I'm not going to dwell on MS yet; but from my understanding getting them into Pin Oak is considered desirable.
Pin Oak is a great school. My kid is into orchestra and the Johnston orchestra is better. Plus he'd like to play baseball and the baseball team at Pin Oak has gotten too competitive for any mortal children to play on it. He can probably play baseball at Johnston. From what I hear of the Vanguard program, the academics are comparable.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,405,346 times
Quote:
Strictly out of curiosity, and not to derail the thread, but why Johnston? My kids are young, with the oldest being in Pre-K, so I'm not going to dwell on MS yet; but from my understanding getting them into Pin Oak is considered desirable.
The people I know who actively chose Johnston, had kids interested in the arts. One third of Johnston's graduates end up at HSPVA. That's a huge percentage!

Also, Lanier and TH Rogers are intensely competitive academically. If your child is gifted, but not disciplined Johnston might be a better fit.

It really depends on your child.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:29 AM

960 posts, read 2,752,987 times
Quote:
Two of our children go to Johnston MS and it has been a good fit for the popular teen. Being athletic, smart, and funny helped him reach to the top. But the other teenager is book smart and naturally doesn't like any school because "kids are stupid". Pin Oak MS is a language magnet school and our children aren't interested in that. Back then, they weren't gifted either. So, that just left Pershing and Johnston as their next best choice with the fine arts magnet.

Based on the last HISD The Voice survey for 2013-2014, more parents and students prefer Johnston than Pershing MS. This is interesting because Pershing has a new campus in a luxury neighborhood but also share with low-income apartments, too. But in the end, it doesn't matter because middle school are the shortest, meaningless years unless you want your children to become athletic stars. I think elementary and high school choice are far more important.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtucketpatriot View Post
Thanks everyone. Very helpful comments

Houston321: yup, Boston area. I knew about the taxes. I'd like to say the lack of income taxes make up for it, but not quite.

I appreciate the other comments as well. My kids are more likely to be on the math team than football team, so a smaller environment will probably work better.

And yeah, I've spent years fighting Boston (and 128) traffic, but I always have the T option, which I won't in Houston. I think I understand why the prices are so high in Bellaire, West U, etc. (typical nice Boston suburb prices, though). I think avoiding the aggravation is worth a premium. We don't need a huge house.

By the way, Houston321, how do you feel in terms of crime/safety versus Boston? Apples and oranges I know: Boston is puny compared to Houston. I'm just trying to take the comments here on citydata with a grain of salt.

We'll probably rent at first unless prices crash in the next few months due to the oil situation (fat chance, I know), but I'd like to at least target the general area.

Thanks again
Prices in West U and Bellaire are high, in large part, for the schools. About 5 years back there seemed to be about a 50k premium for being zoned to West U elementary. Not sure what it is now, although some of the surrounding schools have gotten better.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Quick update: it's only been a week, so time will tell, but I have to say my kid has never come home from school happier than he has this week at Johnston. He LOVES it. And he is not a kid who loves school. He loves the teachers most of all.

Every kid is different. Don't believe everything you hear about schools-- visit, bring your kid, check out the vibe, see if it's a good fit.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,405,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Quick update: it's only been a week, so time will tell, but I have to say my kid has never come home from school happier than he has this week at Johnston. He LOVES it. And he is not a kid who loves school. He loves the teachers most of all.

Every kid is different. Don't believe everything you hear about schools-- visit, bring your kid, check out the vibe, see if it's a good fit.
Thanks for the update! Keep it coming.

I know Pershing keeps the same kids together for their four core classes. What does Johnston do? Just curious.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Thanks for the update! Keep it coming.

I know Pershing keeps the same kids together for their four core classes. What does Johnston do? Just curious.
There's a different mix of kids in each class. Because they each have two magnet areas, the schedules are complex; it's unlikely too many kids are going to have the same combination of classes.

Oh-- and given that this is a private vs. public thread, I will add that we put my fourth grader in private, and that is also working out really well. Totally different kind of school (small, Montessori).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: