Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 AM

70 posts, read 100,979 times

Advertisements

So we go to Galveston every year this time of year. We just booked our trip again. We have a normal routine but I like to make sure we aren't missing anything.

Hotel - We typically stay at the Galvez. Love the historic feel of the hotel. Pool is really nice and rarely crowded. Location is right on the seawall.

Activities - Pool, Beach, Bike ride around historic Galveston. Shop at the beach shop across from Galvez. Walk and shop on the strand. Get some candy at La King's Confectionery. Seek out some antique shops to maybe grab something unique.

Food - Love the food in Galveston.
1. The Spot - Burgers are delicious. Great Location. Relaxing up on their porch.
2. Mesquito Cafe - Love the breakfast
3. Sunflower Bakery - again breakfast is delicious. Love the cinnamon rolls.
4. Shrimp and Stuff - cool patio. pretty good seafood

Been meaning to try but haven't yet:
- Eat Cetera
- Farley Girls Cafe

Tell me what I am missing out on. Keep in mind it will be me, my wife, and my 2 year old daughter so any bars are out the window for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonyuhas View Post
So we go to Galveston every year this time of year. We just booked our trip again. We have a normal routine but I like to make sure we aren't missing anything.

Hotel - We typically stay at the Galvez. Love the historic feel of the hotel. Pool is really nice and rarely crowded. Location is right on the seawall.

Activities - Pool, Beach, Bike ride around historic Galveston. Shop at the beach shop across from Galvez. Walk and shop on the strand. Get some candy at La King's Confectionery. Seek out some antique shops to maybe grab something unique.

Food - Love the food in Galveston.
1. The Spot - Burgers are delicious. Great Location. Relaxing up on their porch.
2. Mesquito Cafe - Love the breakfast
3. Sunflower Bakery - again breakfast is delicious. Love the cinnamon rolls.
4. Shrimp and Stuff - cool patio. pretty good seafood

Been meaning to try but haven't yet:
- Eat Cetera
- Farley Girls Cafe

Tell me what I am missing out on. Keep in mind it will be me, my wife, and my 2 year old daughter so any bars are out the window for us.
The obvious would be the Pleasure Pier and Moody Gardens not to mention the tours of the mansions on Broadway (Bishops Palace & Aston Villa)...

Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,863,673 times
Have you tried the blackened mahi-mahi sandwich at The Spot? I think it's the best thing on their menu. BTW, don't try their margaritas, yuk.

Since you already know of Mosquito Cafe and Shrimp and Stuff, well, nothing to add there.

Please let us know about Farley Girls Cafe. I've been meaning to try it, but have just not made it.

Where are you coming from and what route are you taking? Depending upon where you start, I might recommend you taking 330 to 146 to 45 close to Texas City. Obviously, that would be a terrible route for some. The only real issue with that route is the two stop lights on 146 just north of the bridge at Kemah. They get backed up, but that is really the only choke point. Lot's of good places to eat taking that route as well.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,010,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonyuhas View Post
I see all the resturants and I might try some of them. But can this activity really last 3 days in Galveston?

I have a pool and my neighborhood pool is quite big with slides and whole 9 yards, so i won't care for that. I don't ride bikes so that is out of the question. What else will you be doing?

I really want to do this next month myself after getting inspired by Pedro's post.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:50 AM

280 posts, read 388,659 times
I would book a bay fishing guide for one morning, take the ferry to Boliver just to say I did it.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,469,531 times
The Railroad Museum and The Flight museum are worth a visit. The duck tour is fun, as is the various kayak tours.

We used to go crabbing all the time as kids. Just get a washer, string, and attach some bacon. You do need a license now. We didn't 30 years ago. About Crabbing in Galveston County

Also, taking a plastic clear jar and checking seaweed for little creatures is fun. There wasn't any the last time I went, but if you see fresh seaweed on the beach, shake it and tons of sea creatures fall out. Pipefish, small fish, crabs, etc... Really cool.

Carriage rides are fun too.

Try Seawolf park. I haven't been in years, but there was a destroyer there and a submarine to tour. I am assuming it's still there.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,335,552 times
I like to sit on the deck at Olympia's and watch the cruise ships come and go. Great Greek food!
I have heard great things about the dolphin tour.
Seawolf park has a submarine to tour. There is a Great Storm museum too

Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 100,979 times
Thanks everyone!

- I've been to the pleasure pier and while I like it, it's pretty expensive for what it is. We stayed at Moody Gardens the first year we went to Galveston like 5 or 6 years ago. I really didn't like how the property was in its own corner of Galveston. I may head out there one day to go to the aquarium. Now that I have a little one she would love that. Do you know how long the tours of the mansion are? I'd live to go but have a 2 year old to entertain and that may be tough to get out of there without her breaking something, ha ha.

- I have not tried the Blackened - Mahi-Mahi. I love their burgers but we usually hit up the spot at least 2 or 3 times on our trip so I'll try it one time. I need something healthier anyway. I'm coming from Dallas. We usually stay a night in Houston and then go on to Galveston. Not that we couldn't do the drive in one day. Just like to get a quick Houston visit in. We have some friends in Medical School down there with kids the same age as ours. Also, I have to get a quick indian pizza at Bombay pizza company while I am in town. I'll let you know about Farley Girls Cafe. I've heard good things but every trip it gets skipped for other alternatives.

- Most of Galveston we just spend chilling. Enjoying the breeze, wandering around, just getting out of the hustle of Dallas feels good. We always somehow manage to fill up all of our time and never get to everything.

- Bay fishing would be out with the kid. One year me and some friends are going to go to do some serious fishing off the coast.

- I have taken the ferry over to Bolivar a few years ago. It was fun but it took up a lot of time. There's not a ton over there. We did find an awesome local bar with decent bar food and some excellent local Karaoke. I think it was called Sharkey's if memory serves right.

- Crabbing is a good idea. I haven't did that since I was a kid and we used to go to Destin. The seaweed is a good idea too.

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by Ansonyuhas; 05-05-2015 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2015, 05:17 PM

8,899 posts, read 20,153,780 times
Farley girls was just okay in my book; however they had a big crowd so I'm guessing people must love it. Could just be my personal taste - I'd go for it. Breakfast is a big hit there.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 PM

150 posts, read 220,439 times
The little one would also enjoy the playground at 28th & seawall plus the mini children's museum on the bottom floor of the Moody Mansion.
But really with only a few days the beach & pool will be plenty.
The new Galveston Island Brewery also has a playground & food trucks/music on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston