Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

So Im back for more opinions!

Which of the areas are:

Safer?
More Quiet?
Less prone to flooding?
Likely to retain value?

My wife is not really adopting the idea of living in a condo or townehome though thats the route I wanted to go because we could live closer to my work in Greenway. These seem to be the two areas inside 610 that are in budget and have single story homes.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
HCFCD flood maps will guide you as to flooding, they both have problem areas. They are both probably just as likely to retain/increase value as both as highly desirable neighborhoods, and land prices have shot up in recent years as teardown activity has increased. Both should be equally as quiet if you are on a side street, equally as loud if you are on a collector street.

I think it will really come down to which neighborhood feels best to you, and which nearby amenities you value more. I prefer Braeswood Place, but it's neighborhoods are substantially more expensive, unless you are referring to a less expensive adjacent neighborhood like Knollwood Village? I like its proximity to Rice Village as well, though Timbergrove is close to great Heights spots, so maybe that's a wash. I guess to me, that part of the inner loop just feels more upscale than Timbergrove.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
By far, I prefer Braeswood Place over Timbergrove. Like Travelguy said comparing price wise, you might be looking at Linkwood, Woodside, and Knollwood. The reason is because you only have 2 routes from Timbergrove to Greenway Plaza around Memorial Park. But from Knollwood Village, you have many ways to get to work and other convenience including better retail stores.

If you are looking at Knollwood, then you might like Willow Meadows. You can still see the Inner Loop from you backyard.

Quiter? I don't know but just don't complain about loud motorcycle racing at 150 MPH on the Loop every week. We've heard it over and over and it gets old. No one can do anything about it except wish for them to smash into a concrete pillar.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 PM

Thank you guys for the feedback. I didnt think about having to get through Memorial Park and Shepard is an absolute mess right now.

How do you think Braeswood Place will fare in terms of property values?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
I think Braeswood Place will continue to climb because of its location

Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thank you guys for the feedback. I didnt think about having to get through Memorial Park and Shepard is an absolute mess right now.

As long as the medical center exists, Braeswood Place will be in demand. The question is whether you are looking at an original home or new construction. I assume the former, which is a little trickier. If you are focusing on neighborhoods with strong teardown activity, and you buy an original house to live in, investing in the home itself won't necessarily bring you a return (it's all in the land). However, if teardown activity is minimal and people are upgrading the original homes, then you are in a better position to do the same, if that makes sense. In Meyerland, where we are, there is some teardown activity, but the existing homes are mostly in great condition, so living and investing in them makes sense. Contrast that with Bellaire, where the original homes are basic and generally people don't buy them to live in them for an extended period...they want the land to eventually build on.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 AM

98 posts, read 99,267 times
Quote:

Values in Braeswood Place has soared the last few years, will likely continue to go up due to its proximity to the Medical Center, downtown, etc.

Note Braeswood Place technically includes a few streets south of Braeswood. Those streets are not zoned to Mark Twain elementary. Twain is one of the more desirable elementary schools inside the loop, and it drives values upwards. So the properties south of Braeswood are cheaper, and may not go up as quickly because the elementary school for that area is not as desirable as Twain.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM

32 posts, read 51,273 times
I used to live near Braeswood Place, and that area is pretty nice. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM

How is Willow Meadows? Still pretty good outlook?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

98 posts, read 99,267 times
Quote:
How is Willow Meadows? Still pretty good outlook?
I doubt you'd lose value in Willow Meadows. If you plan to be there several years, you'll be fine. I would believe that the area north of 610 will hold its value moreso than the area south of 610. Again, most realtors will tell you that the public schools drive the relative housing demand in neighborhoods, and I don't think the public schools zoned to Willow Meadows are in demand; that said, the area is close in and convenient for a lot of restaurants, employment locations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: