Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,228 times

Advertisements

I'm a single woman that is planning on moving to Houston in early October. I have a 3 year old. I'm planning to rent an apartment of townhome. I have been to Houston several times and am familiar with a few areas, galleria, westheimer, and the woodlands. Can someone recommend an apartment complex that's nice, clean and safe that's it the city. I'd also consider moving to the suburbs and have researched sugar land, pearl and and the woodlands, but I'm open to other areas. I prefer an area that's has great shopping, groceries, parks. Not really a water person so that's not too important for me,. Also, please give me the areas to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,755,289 times
Budget for Rent?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:16 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,920,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Budget for Rent?
(awaits for one of the following typical responses:
1. "Under $1000"
2. "Reasonable"
3. "$800, but I could stretch it to $1000 for a 3 BR / 2 Bath in the Heights area")

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,023 times
Where will you be working? That is your number one concern, commute time to your job, especially if there is daycare involved.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,228 times
My budget is $1200 for a two bedroom. I will be working from home when I first arrive. The company that I currently work for is letting me work for them until January 1st.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM

872 posts, read 829,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyTiara View Post
My budget is $1200 for a two bedroom. I will be working from home when I first arrive. The company that I currently work for is letting me work for them until January 1st.

You are moving here without a job lined up after Jan 1st??

Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,755,289 times
6 months is a decent amount of time to find a job.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,825,658 times
Quote:
This price range for a two bedroom will put you in a far flung suburb in a more remote area or in a less desirable part of town closer in. You're not going to be able to live in or near the galleria, downtown, or the nice parts in between for that price range typically. You can probably make it work if you up your budget to $1500-$1600, but the apartment itself and its' amenities will be outdated. (Avalon Square off of Westheimer is a good example of what I'm talking about, and their smallest 2 bedroom starts at $1600). For instance, I live in Montrose in a relatively new apartment complex in an 800 sq ft 1 bedroom/1 bath and I pay $1400/month.

Do you know where in relation you would be spending your time here primarily? What line of work would you be going into? Are there any family members or friends that you'll be seeing often, and if so, what part of town do they live in? Do you have a car that you can use frequently?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:56 PM

219 posts, read 300,388 times
Quote:
I'm a single woman that is planning on moving to Houston in early October. I have a 3 year old. I'm planning to rent an apartment of townhome. I have been to Houston several times and am familiar with a few areas, galleria, westheimer, and the woodlands. Can someone recommend an apartment complex that's nice, clean and safe that's it the city. I'd also consider moving to the suburbs and have researched sugar land, pearl and and the woodlands, but I'm open to other areas. I prefer an area that's has great shopping, groceries, parks. Not really a water person so that's not too important for me,. Also, please give me the areas to avoid.

"Nice, safe, clean" in my opinion eliminates everything except far out suburbs (Katy, Sugarland, far Cypress near the outlet mall, The Woodlands). You are going to get crime in the inner city Houston even if you were living in a $10MM house in River Oaks. It just comes with living in the city. Your idea of "Safe" and mine might be two different things.

The city area really does not have good parks. Biggest park the city folks go to is Memorial Park. But it's smoggy and creepers and weirdos around. I'm a guy and the creeps still followed me around. I never liked it.

Just my opinion, but the city is not very family friendly. To each their own though. Some love it, some hate it.

Houston is a big city and different areas all have their own good shopping.

Areas to avoid.......75% of Houston. It's easier to name places to look.

City to look at: Only place I would look is inside the loop, west of downtown (River Oaks, Memorial, Washington Ave, Galleria area).

Suburbs to look at: Sugarland, Katy (around the Katy mall namely Cinco Ranch neighborhoods) The Woodlands, Cypress (far out near Mason Rd.).

Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,825,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
The city area really does not have good parks. Biggest park the city folks go to is Memorial Park. But it's smoggy and creepers and weirdos around. I'm a guy and the creeps still followed me around. I never liked it.
Although Houston ranks really high in terms of total square footage, most of it is consumed by 2-3 big parks. It ranks quite low out of big U.S. cities in terms of average distance from a home to the nearest park around it. I agree with everything else you've said, and as a slight Cypress booster would like to add that out of all the far out suburbs you mentioned, Cypress still slightly has the best bang for your buck, (with admittedly slightly less retail options than its' counterparts. It's not really hard or time consuming to get to really good retail with 99 open now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston