Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,184,175 times

Advertisements

Really it shouldn't be that hard to find a house for you. You need to narrow down the area you want to be in first and foremost. Once you have done that, find a realtor who is willing to show you around. Take a trip down for a weekend or a week and house hunt.

I had a client come in from out of state knowing they wanted the Atascocita area - but wasn't sure on neighborhoods. So I showed them around 3-4 neighborhoods and we looked at about 20 houses in a 2 day period. They found one they loved on the first day, and still was their favorite on the second day, so they put in an offer.

Spent a week with clients relocating here from out of state a couple of weeks ago. They knew they would be working in Texas City, but had no idea about neighborhoods, or even which area they wanted to live in. Showed them Clear Lake, League City, Seabrook, Dickinson, and Friendswood. They settled on League City. They actually found 3 houses they like and had offers on all 3 at one point. They finally chose a new build inventory home.

Spent this past weekend with another client from out of state (working with the same people above) - again, she had NO idea where she wanted to live. I narrowed down the areas for her and she's in the process of choosing a house after looking at about 20 houses in a 2 day period.

My point is - it's important to narrow down the area you want to be in. Once you have that decided - the house hunting gets a lot easier.

The closing laws are changing to 60 days beginning in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 AM

986 posts, read 1,287,073 times
I saw your other post and wanted to add one more thing, since you mentioned that your primary concern is money. Depending on the age of your home, you also run the risk of something breaking/needing repairs the longer you hold onto it. And, of course, owning the home once you live in Houston is a real pain. Our realtor was excellent and basically maintained our home for us -- went so far as to meet scheduled repairmen, etc, but he was exceptional. And even with help from him and a neighbor, we still had a gas line issue that had to be repaired, to the tune of about $1200. Just one more potential expense to consider if you pass on the current offer.

And I realize I'm giving a whole lot of conflicting info -- I don't have the answer for you, but since I just did the exact thing you are doing, I am trying to share some experiences that may help you.

Best of luck.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 PM

960 posts, read 2,764,562 times
I'd ditch the house and move. Quit messing around with it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 7,718,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
I saw your other post and wanted to add one more thing, since you mentioned that your primary concern is money. Depending on the age of your home, you also run the risk of something breaking/needing repairs the longer you hold onto it. And, of course, owning the home once you live in Houston is a real pain. Our realtor was excellent and basically maintained our home for us -- went so far as to meet scheduled repairmen, etc, but he was exceptional. And even with help from him and a neighbor, we still had a gas line issue that had to be repaired, to the tune of about $1200. Just one more potential expense to consider if you pass on the current offer.

And I realize I'm giving a whole lot of conflicting info -- I don't have the answer for you, but since I just did the exact thing you are doing, I am trying to share some experiences that may help you.

Best of luck.
You make a very good point. I'm selling an old home in a "quaint" neighborhood, so it is possible that something could break or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston