Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:30 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Many of those moves were due to my husband's career training.

We would never make moves where the cost is not 100% paid for us. In each case, the moves were either required (while training) or for career advancement. The size and other things we look for in a home are not available as rentals.

But, I definitely agree that from a financial perspective, it mitigates the risk to rent. Our past history would indicate that it is not outside the likelihood that we would move again, so that lends another good argument for renting. We've never made money on a home before, but we are putting our house on the market here in Denver next week, and will absolutely make money this time around.

For us, it all boils down to being willing to accept the financial risk of owning a home (with its variable value) versus the hassle factor of moving a very large household. Others choose differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 03:46 PM

87 posts, read 149,040 times
My partner and I just bought a house to build out in the burbs. His parents have told us their horror story of buying a home near Willowbrook in the 1980s, and then a few months later, the oil bust occurred and real estate market crashed. They weren't able to break even for about a decade, but ended up being just fine raising 2 kids in that house. They did move in the early 2000s.

Moral of that story for me: don't be too worried. If something happens, then we'll just be in place for a few years longer than expected, which is fine by me. :-)

Old 04-26-2015, 04:04 PM

465 posts, read 613,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmccoy View Post
My partner and I just bought a house to build out in the burbs. His parents have told us their horror story of buying a home near Willowbrook in the 1980s, and then a few months later, the oil bust occurred and real estate market crashed. They weren't able to break even for about a decade, but ended up being just fine raising 2 kids in that house. They did move in the early 2000s.

Moral of that story for me: don't be too worried. If something happens, then we'll just be in place for a few years longer than expected, which is fine by me. :-)
Very true. Our other home we have been renting out for 8 years. We will be happy just to break even when we sell it. Which won't be for a probably another few years. Luckily rental market is strong in that area.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
cheryljohns? cheryljohns, you there?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
cheryljohns? cheryljohns, you there?
Yes.

Depends. If you are in town for 2.5 years or less and buy in one of the lesser demand areas, buy re-sale over new, no matter how much you want new.

Sugar Land - buy. If prices cool a little - it will just make it aggressive, rather than insane.

Three years plus - buy what you want. Except Alief and a few other areas.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 04-26-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Yes.

Depends. If you are in town for 2.5 years or less and buy in one of the lesser demand areas, buy re-sale over new, no matter how much you want new.

Sugar Land - buy. If prices cool a little - it will just make it aggressive, rather than insane.

Three years plus - buy what you want. Except Alief and a few other areas.
@Chery, what about Telfair I'm Sugar Land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston