Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:01 PM

960 posts, read 2,753,297 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely be happy to replace Pierce Elevated into a parkway. It's an ugly barrier between downtown and Midtown. I also suggest that TXDOT connect SP 527 to I-10 but Midtown and Montrose won't be too pleased to hear that. But if we put that below surface level, will that be acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,293,490 times
Default It was proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
I'd definitely be happy to replace Pierce Elevated into a parkway. It's an ugly barrier between downtown and Midtown. I also suggest that TXDOT connect SP 527 to I-10 but Midtown and Montrose won't be too pleased to hear that. But if we put that below surface level, will that be acceptable?
It was not that too long ago that the idea to turn Houston Avenue into an elevated freeway to handle I45 traffic. I think I posted about it in CD a while back.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,963,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It was not that too long ago that the idea to turn Houston Avenue into an elevated freeway to handle I45 traffic. I think I posted about it in CD a while back.
The recent gentrification of the area would make for a tough sell.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,605,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
They REALLY ought to end all freeways into 610 and loop them around in a massive one way circle. Didn't they discuss that back in the 90's? They could shrink the inner loop freeways and turn them into large boulevards. 610 isn't THAT huge of a loop and it would keep the through traffic out of the loop.
610 could have local and express lanes like some other cities do. This would go a long way to reuniting the inner loop neighborhoods and probably speed up the demand for urban rail and land values.

But I'm sure most Houstonians would oppose this. My family definitely would.
I think HtownLove said this a couple years back and everybody shot that poster down. If it happened, it would transform the inner loop in a big way. In fact, it's kind of like what DC does now though they have 295 running on the eastern side of the city. But it will never happen. I also agree with Westhou and that they should trench all freeways inside the loop. Like that part on Southwest Freeway between Downtown and the Galleria. Anyway, segment three is the most interesting to me. That would have the the pierce demolished and 69/45 trenched under a park. Basically 10/45 will be the only interstate above ground for a short couple miles. Downtown would extend South and East if that happened.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,605,086 times
Looking at that segment three picture again, would that not make the area around the GRB the center of Downtown? I can potentially see a major entertainment area as you know they will build that area up. You have Minute Maid as you see in that rendering but also the Dynamo Stadium not to far from there. This could really be a game changer for downtown and perhaps the city.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 AM

657 posts, read 741,488 times
Lets do it

Old 04-23-2015, 05:35 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,029,155 times
Unelevating anything will just make it a colossal pain to get to work or home on days when we have torrential rain. It will just become lake 45 for hours and we will get to see news reports of people with jet skis and canoes on it until it drains.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,999,861 times
I must be the only one but I had no idea it was called the "Pierce Elevated"

I just call it the rickety road area in the middle of St Joseph. I know when I go visit my grandmother in Clear Lake I know which way I'm going coming from the North because St. Joseph with the big cross is to my right and I need to keep left left left.

The roller coaster up and down roadway is horrible on that stretch.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,293,490 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I must be the only one but I had no idea it was called the "Pierce Elevated"

I just call it the rickety road area in the middle of St Joseph. I know when I go visit my grandmother in Clear Lake I know which way I'm going coming from the North because St. Joseph with the big cross is to my right and I need to keep left left left.

The roller coaster up and down roadway is horrible on that stretch.
Re rollercoaster... were you here before they "improved" it? It was so bad, if you had a hard suspension vehicle, you could hit your head on the roof of your car. It cracked me up (laughter) every time I rode over it in my truck, it became a perverted game to us, you had to move at the right speed and tape the brake at the right moment to get the maximum bounce.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,029,155 times
What is rickety about it? Nothing feels unstable or that it is about to break apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston