Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,832,440 times

Advertisements

Private is the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 04:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
I couldn't really tell you what the difference is between apartheid and the HISD school zoning system based on a lot of these posts.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,279,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I couldn't really tell you what the difference is between apartheid and the HISD school zoning system based on a lot of these posts.
Pretty simple really - Most of the people moving into the Heights are affluent and can choose to put their children into good schools when the ones they are zoned to are awful. Everyone wants the best for their children....regardless of race.

While you may want to make this about race its not. You are just overly sensitive or a troll out to start something....The problems in the schools (love included) that get failing grades are the disparate levels of income and the different cultures at these family homes. People with more money have more resources and tend to place a much higher value on education.(regardless of race). People with less income, tend to have less resources and as a result place a lower value on education.

There are families in all demographics who will buck this generalization, but the generalization is true and is color blind. There are plenty of poor black, white, hispanic, fill-in-the blank families who do not care whether their children succeed in school or not.

If you are willing to put your kid through the crummy school to make a statement or b/c its what you think is best for them - then do it - but your judgment of those who choose to do what they believe is best for their children is rejected outright.

I for one am 100% sick and tired of people being called racist or bigoted b/c they do what is best for their child. You live your life, and stop worrying about how others live theirs. It is not racist to take your child out of a crappy school. It's not racist when a black family moves to a better school, its not better when a hispanic family moves, and it darn sure isnt racist when a white family does it. Get over your sensitivities and try to not live your life looking to cry racism or blame someone else for your, or your kids constant short comings.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Pretty simple really - Most of the people moving into the Heights are affluent and can choose to put their children into good schools when the ones they are zoned to are awful. Everyone wants the best for their children....regardless of race.

While you may want to make this about race its not. You are just overly sensitive or a troll out to start something....The problems in the schools (love included) that get failing grades are the disparate levels of income and the different cultures at these family homes. People with more money have more resources and tend to place a much higher value on education.(regardless of race). People with less income, tend to have less resources and as a result place a lower value on education.

There are families in all demographics who will buck this generalization, but the generalization is true and is color blind. There are plenty of poor black, white, hispanic, fill-in-the blank families who do not care whether their children succeed in school or not.

If you are willing to put your kid through the crummy school to make a statement or b/c its what you think is best for them - then do it - but your judgment of those who choose to do what they believe is best for their children is rejected outright.

I for one am 100% sick and tired of people being called racist or bigoted b/c they do what is best for their child. You live your life, and stop worrying about how others live theirs. It is not racist to take your child out of a crappy school. It's not racist when a black family moves to a better school, its not better when a hispanic family moves, and it darn sure isnt racist when a white family does it. Get over your sensitivities and try to not live your life looking to cry racism or blame someone else for your, or your kids constant short comings.
I was just pointing out something that seemed true. It does't make one a racist in the vein of the KKK to want the best for their kids. Nor is apartheid limited at this point to the logic of racism--it is the logic of apart-ness. I checked this in the dictionary. Historically, apartheid has been racial in South Africa but it has also been class-based there. I don't mean to say that because you send your kid to a "good" school that you are racist. I'm just saying that when all the wealthy/highly educated people in an area send their kids to one kind of school or move because that is simply "what one does," that is by definition a form of apartheid. I notice in your long ramble that you did not deny that to be the case. I stand by my remark and I don't think it can be disproved.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,145,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I was just pointing out something that seemed true. It does't make one a racist in the vein of the KKK to want the best for their kids. Nor is apartheid limited at this point to the logic of racism--it is the logic of apart-ness. I checked this in the dictionary. Historically, apartheid has been racial in South Africa but it has also been class-based there. I don't mean to say that because you send your kid to a "good" school that you are racist. I'm just saying that when all the wealthy/highly educated people in an area send their kids to one kind of school or move because that is simply "what one does," that is by definition a form of apartheid. I notice in your long ramble that you did not deny that to be the case. I stand by my remark and I don't think it can be disproved.
Actually, apartheid is an Afrikaans word, so the use of it in any other context is IMO inflammatory at best.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM

Here is what the OED has to say:

"Noun [mass noun] historical (in South Africa) a policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race."
Also, "segregation on grounds other than race: sexual apartheid"

And yes, in origin it is in Afrikaans "separateness" adapted from the dutch "apart 'separate' + -heid (equivalent of -hood).

I have no idea what kind of linguistic principle you can be referring to that would only qualify a word as sensible in the original language it was produced in (which is incidentally Dutch). By this logic, the Afrikaans use of the word would be false since they got it from the Dutch. We can call it whatever we want or not call it that just as easily, if an alien came down from Mars and was given the definition of apartheid and then shown the demographics of HISD, they'd be hard pressed not to see some apartheid happening.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:43 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,145,418 times
A lot of words come with baggage not reflected in a clinical definition. I dont believe its appropriate here.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 PM

15,626 posts, read 7,659,245 times
There's nothing wrong with Love. The teachers are good, and the principal, Mr. Chavarria, is an ardent supporter of good education. If your child qualifies, there is a neighborhood Vanguard program. I haven't seen the numbers lately, but a couple of years ago, about 50% of the students at Love transferred there from their zoned school because they think it's a good school.

The key to any Elementary school is parental involvement. If you stay involved, your child will do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: