Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 17,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Crime in Houston may be random as you say, but its not random in the Heights. It is CONSTANT. You can not park on the street for more than a few days without getting your car broken into. You just can not do it. Its outrageous how bad the petty crime in the Heights is, and how the police do NOTHING to stop it.

With that said, its 99% petty crime....there are a few bad crimes every now and then that are actually random - but petty crime in the Heights is prolific. You literally can not leave a single thing in your car of any value or it will get stolen. Its not if, its when, and its not a matter of months, its a matter of days. You can't have a package delivered to your door when you are not home, and patio furniture/plants are constantly stolen...

I love the Heights, we just moved from the Heights (not b/c of the petty crime), but the petty crime is worse there than anywhere I have ever been in my entire life. I had my car broken into 4 times, my garage broken into once, and I parked in a fully fenced driveway and my garage had an alarm, that went off, and still did not really deter the folks.

I don't know about apartment crime, if its in a parking garage, but parking on the street over night is a sure fire way to guarantee a break in.
Do you mind me asking where you moved to & if its safer than the Heights? So they even break into your garage?! WTH! I sure do not plan on renting a place where i'll have to park on the streets. Sad because i shop online a lot mostly amazon & UPS/Fedex has always left my packages at my front door & never in all those years have they ever been stolen. Must be some pretty desperate thieves-even stealing patio furniture & plants, crazy!!!

Thanks for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorialite View Post
I would consider something tucked into an upscale residential neighborhood if you are most concerned about safety. 11711 memorial dr in Hudson oaks, 12707 boheme drive- plus these would give you a super short commute!
Thank you very much for the recommendations; I will check them out for sure!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I was going to say Hudson Oaks as well. It will even have a little patio and quick access to green space for the dog. Might not be a hip 30 something neighborhood, but very very safe. You can always go ITL for socializing. But honestly for 30 something's, CityCentre is pretty popular and two miles away from that complex. I don't know what rents are in City Centre anymore, but that's an option too.
Thanks! Will check that out. I did check City Centre before; i believe most of the complaints were about parking not being enough.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
You are from St. Louis and the only thing in the Heights that concerns you are the petty crimes. Interesting.

Good luck in your search.
Yes am from St. Louis; How interesting is it? I have lived here for many years and the area i live in is very nice; never have i ever had to deal with car beak-ins or any kind of break-ins for that matter and don't want to ever experience it. I want to live in a place where i feel safe, just like where i live now as i have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get ready for work.

Thank you for your well wishes/reply.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorialite View Post
I would consider something tucked into an upscale residential neighborhood if you are most concerned about safety. 11711 memorial dr in Hudson oaks, 12707 boheme drive- plus these would give you a super short commute!
Thanks for the recommendation, will check them out for sure!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd2015 View Post
Do you mind me asking where you moved to & if its safer than the Heights? So they even break into your garage?! WTH! I sure do not plan on renting a place where i'll have to park on the streets. Sad because i shop online a lot mostly amazon & UPS/Fedex has always left my packages at my front door & never in all those years have they ever been stolen. Must be some pretty desperate thieves-even stealing patio furniture & plants, crazy!!!

Thanks for your reply!
I lived in the Heights and never experienced this. I know many others that never experience anything like this.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:12 PM

24,013 posts, read 15,110,703 times
I have family in the Heights. They have never experienced those petty crimes at their home. And one parks on the street much of the time. She is home alone many weeks of the year.

Last year they were at a park on the bayou down by the police station. All their stuff was in the trunk with the car alarm on. Somebody broke into car, got both laptops and all the cameras without the tripping the alarm. The computer was later found at a pawn shop. There are talented crooks who can get into cars without tripping alarms.

Many of my neighbors have started putting cameras on the houses.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Sorry but no complex is 100% break in free. If only women were locking them in the trunk - they leave them right in the seat in plain view. Even in their home driveways, crimes of opportunity happen and the women are still shocked when someone takes them.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
I lived in the Heights and never experienced this. I know many others that never experience anything like this.
Good to know this. Did you live in an apartment complex or owned a house? From the reviews i have read it seems this petty crimes seems to be mostly in the big apartments complexes.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:58 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,661 times
I owned a house. My friends parked on the street and never had issues. Don't leave anything in view and chances are your car won't be messed with. marksman must have had gold bars in plane view.

I have heard of break ins on garages. It happens, but not the norm. Neighbors tend to look out for one another.

Sounds like marksmu is trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: