Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 16,686 times

Advertisements

Ok I'll try to make it brief. We are hoping to move our family from Orange County, NY to TX this year. We've pretty much run out of reasons to stay in NY and we basically hate everything here socially, economically, politically,laws, WEATHER, prices, etc. The only good thing I can say about our area is that it's nice and rural. lots of hills,mountains, valleys, lakes, farms, the hudson river, Really it is a beautiful area with a lot of culture.
I'm not looking to recreate the same experience in TX, but I'm wondering if there is a pretty rural area that is in close proximity to Houston? We are looking to join a Church community in (6646 Addicks Satsuma Rd, Houston, TX 77084) NW Houston. I would like to have an active life at the parish, so I don't want to be too far away. Maybe within a half hour if possible? Are there rural areas in close proximity to this area?
We will be looking to rent at first, and then eventually move into a home if we can afford it and end up liking the area. Starting out we would need to have a 2 bedroom for about $1000 or so a month. Is it possible to find a nice rural home to rent for this price near Houston? I'm assuming that the job market would be ok in the area? I hope! Basically I just want to narrow our search down so that my husband can look for jobs in a specific area.

Can't wait to hear your responses! I have SO many questions! My husband is ready to jump the gun and just pack up and move, but I need to research everything beforehand!

Thanks for all of your input ! It is so hard to figure out if you like an area that is a million miles away!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,787,169 times
don't move here without a job.

Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com <- search 77084 for rental property.

Hill country is a few hours away. Not exactly mountainous but it's hilly.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 AM

40 posts, read 58,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMAM View Post
Ok I'll try to make it brief. We are hoping to move our family from Orange County, NY to TX this year. We've pretty much run out of reasons to stay in NY and we basically hate everything here socially, economically, politically,laws, WEATHER, prices, etc. The only good thing I can say about our area is that it's nice and rural. lots of hills,mountains, valleys, lakes, farms, the hudson river, Really it is a beautiful area with a lot of culture.
I'm not looking to recreate the same experience in TX, but I'm wondering if there is a pretty rural area that is in close proximity to Houston? We are looking to join a Church community in (6646 Addicks Satsuma Rd, Houston, TX 77084) NW Houston. I would like to have an active life at the parish, so I don't want to be too far away. Maybe within a half hour if possible? Are there rural areas in close proximity to this area?
We will be looking to rent at first, and then eventually move into a home if we can afford it and end up liking the area. Starting out we would need to have a 2 bedroom for about $1000 or so a month. Is it possible to find a nice rural home to rent for this price near Houston? I'm assuming that the job market would be ok in the area? I hope! Basically I just want to narrow our search down so that my husband can look for jobs in a specific area.

Can't wait to hear your responses! I have SO many questions! My husband is ready to jump the gun and just pack up and move, but I need to research everything beforehand!

Thanks for all of your input ! It is so hard to figure out if you like an area that is a million miles away!!!
Im right there with you, i'm from Queens, NY and I am planning to move in the coming months to Houston, TX. Im also moving for many of the same reasons as you. I just basically need get out of this city. NY is getting more expensive and crowded every single year that passes by.

The only good thing I can say about my community in Queens, NY is nothing lol.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 16,686 times
lol ! It's such a daunting task to move across country to a place I've never even seen...but when things are this bad in NY... anything else is looking better and better. I feel for you. I hate Queens too lol. I spent a few years traveling to and from Queens for a Sculpture workshop in Astoria. Gross area. It smelled so bad and there was garbage everywhere. A lot of my friends have moved to TX so I am hopeful.

Can someone give me an average monthly electric bill in one of the hottest months in TX? Are there areas where it is cooler? What is the shore like down below houston?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 AM

122 posts, read 223,662 times
What does our husband do for a living? It'll help provide reasonabla adivice.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM

872 posts, read 830,787 times
Quote:
lol ! It's such a daunting task to move across country to a place I've never even seen...but when things are this bad in NY... anything else is looking better and better. I feel for you. I hate Queens too lol. I spent a few years traveling to and from Queens for a Sculpture workshop in Astoria. Gross area. It smelled so bad and there was garbage everywhere. A lot of my friends have moved to TX so I am hopeful.

Can someone give me an average monthly electric bill in one of the hottest months in TX? Are there areas where it is cooler? What is the shore like down below houston?
In the hottest months in the summer your light bill will be high. Depending on the size of your house. Ours has been as high as $400.00 a month.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Queens is horrific compared anyplace else. i dont live in Astoria, however i am very familiar with that area. as bad as it smells, can you believe that its one of the very wealthy and expensive areas in queens.

i agree with you regarding the move being daunting, but at least we have the internet for researching. personally i did a lot of homework for a while on various forums and websites. im not sure if you're going to be living in an apartment complex, but i found a very helpful website was Houston Apartments for Rent - Houston Apartments Reviews and Ratings . You could just look for an apartment with decent reviews and just call up the main office.

The one thing i notice about the Houston rental market opposed to the NYC market was that, anybody will rent to you. As long as you have money in the bank. If not that, its very common for 3 month leases. You could always pay up front. And as far a security deposit, its only around $150 instead of the 1 month or 1.5 month security deposits. You will have no problem finding a place. Unlike NYC, places to live in Houston, TX are abundant. ( the ball is in the renters court ).

As far as the previous comment about not moving without a job, you can try and apply from NY, however many recruiters and employers will throw your resume out the window when they see that your halfway across the country. A recruiter once said to me, "Why would an employer consider you when there are qualified candidates locally." The recruiter had advised that I move down first then start looking. My only suggestion for you would be to just have enough saved up so that you can get by.

Good luck !

Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
In the hottest months in the summer your light bill will be high. Depending on the size of your house. Ours has been as high as $400.00 a month.
well, i'm pretty sure thats not as bad as NY. since we have extreme winters and summer, we have a considerable bill all year round. my apartment here is about 700 square ft and my last energy bill was $350, and im rarely home.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM

60 posts, read 105,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couimet1 View Post
well, i'm pretty sure thats not as bad as NY. since we have extreme winters and summer, we have a considerable bill all year round. my apartment here is about 700 square ft and my last energy bill was $350, and im rarely home.
Not to get off topic, but something is wrong with you HVAC. Building maintenance needs to service that ASAP!! My home is 3500 sq. ft. built 1980 and our utility bill is $230-ish during the summer. My wife is SAHM, so the HVAC is constantly cooling/heating during the day.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

872 posts, read 830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couimet1 View Post

I know people who have light bills in the summertime of $800.00.

We have large houses here...typically 3000 sq ft. So you would want to times your light bill X 4....if you are going to live in a typical size house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston