Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times

Advertisements

Maybe ban the idiots owning those cars. I think that's a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yes, we should just ban all cars now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I think you're clueless and grossly inconsiderate of your neighborhood. Same goes for everyone doing this practice for whatever lame reasons. I find it insulting as a matter of fact. There is always a simple solution to everything if there is a will and some decent level of maturity. As for the people walking around your stupid cars, that is a sign they have no choice and some of them I am sure don't even like it. Have you asked them? Not many of them are gonna challenge you idiots about it, is not worth it since you can't think for yourselves.

In my previous house I had a similar situation and every time I took my kids for a walk I had to get on the damn street to go around it. Until another idiot zoomed through the street doing 65 miles an hour and almost clipped one of my neighbor kids doing the same thing, getting around the idiot truck. Inconvenience is one thing but creating unsafe / hostlyle environment is something else and it must be addressed.

Put it this way, you can fix things the nice way or the hard way. He picked the hard way. Someone I know went KGB on his arse and after that I never seen his truck parked again in the same place. My Russian neigboor always had an interesting and yet practical way around things and we need more of those individuals. As for the truck I think it got very expensive for him and he was always parking in the garage from that point on.

And BS, a Forester will fit in just fine in any size house, 2 car garage. Just a freaking SUV. You just need to try harder. But why would you do that when is so much easier to inconvenience the others. Problem solved for you.
A loud, but refreshingly objective and level perspective, marred only by the typo (bolded) that sounds like a drag queen's stage name.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 AM

366 posts, read 797,379 times
What I find interesting is that people who own large cars or trucks that complain about having to park on the street or driveway because their vehicle doesn't fit in the garage. Why didn't you think about that when you bought the car or house? I have thought about buying a large SUV, but I'm worried about garage space or having to park it outside leaving it prone to theft. So guess what, I may not buy it. Doesn't anyone think these things through???

Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
What I find interesting is that people who own large cars or trucks that complain about having to park on the street or driveway because their vehicle doesn't fit in the garage. Why didn't you think about that when you bought the car or house? I have thought about buying a large SUV, but I'm worried about garage space or having to park it outside leaving it prone to theft. So guess what, I may not buy it. Doesn't anyone think these things through???
Most trucks don't fit in most garages. That's just a fact of life. Most other vehicles will though, so long as the homeowner hasn't allowed their garage to become a catch-all storage space - instead of its intended purpose of storing two moderate sized vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
He is not "on his own property". That is public property. There's nothing the HOA can do about it other than call the police. It is a ticket-able offense to park like that, but I doubt any cop would take such a complaint very seriously.
I know it varies by municipality, but the city of Houston does have on the books, and recently has enforced such an ordinance: People upset over $40 driveway tickets.

Most HOA's I've dealt with prohibit parking in the street. I've seen none that prohibit blocking sidewalks. What I don't get is how people will run to a forum like this to complain instead of just taking action. Call your HOA and then call your local government. It's not that hard. Get your priorities in order: take action, then come here to complain.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Most HOA's I've dealt with prohibit parking in the street.
Really? Haven't encountered this in my neighborhood, my brother's, or in the 'hoods of any of my friends in Houston. Some neighborhoods have small no-parking zones near blind corners or on very narrow streets or certain through streets, or permit parking (what a joke - absolutely not needed in a city where nearly all homes have their own off-street parking), but I haven't run across any that ban on-street parking altogether. That would sure be a pain when everyone's relatives are over for Christmas.

Surprised by all of these cries of "you shouldn't have bought vehicle XX if you didn't have somewhere to park it". People's circumstances change all the time - perhaps a family member has fallen on hard times and moved in, an elderly parent has moved in with his/her children and brought a car, etc. Maybe these situations are relatively short-term, and don't justify moving. Unless storing the extra vehicle(s) involves blocking a sidewalk on a busy street with fast-moving traffic, and with actual foot traffic, the best solution is just a bit of consideration and understanding from the neighbors.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
HOA's have the right to restrict parking in the street and there is a subsection that is supposed to prevent parking on or blocking sidewalk access or passing where one would have to 'divert from the path intended for walking' to go around an object or vehicle.

I am all for enforcing the ban on parking on the street completely. I think garages and driveways are big enough that everything should fit.

One major problem is that people don't use their garages anymore for cars. Even that is in the HOA bylaws that in a 2 car garage at least 1 car space should be available for vehicle parking. I wish they'd enforce that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: