Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,349 times

Advertisements

I see they are building a Trader Joes at LaCenterra which is more convenient for me than Aldi's on Mason. What is the difference between these two stores? The thing I don't like about Aldi's is no credit cards, only cash or a debit card. Will TJ's be the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Owned by the same company. Think of Trader Joes like a Whole Foods compared to Aldi's Kroger.

TJ uses predominantly in-house brands but is more up-market than Aldi which focuses on basics and lowest possible price.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
Is this a serious question?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM

872 posts, read 827,639 times
Aldi's to me is the same as the dollar store. Lots of things I would not buy from the dollar store - produce and meat being one of them.

Trader Joe's is similar to Sprouts/ whole foods.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,065 times
Trader Joe's also takes credit cards. I still wish we had one in Sugar Land.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Aldiss shouldn't be compare to Kroger. I agree it's like the dollar general of grocery stores. Mostly generic, non branded items.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,238,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Trader Joe's also takes credit cards. I still wish we had one in Sugar Land.
Yes, I really don't get why there's neither a Sprouts or TJ planned for Sugar Land while Katy will have both.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Aldi's to me is the same as the dollar store. Lots of things I would not buy from the dollar store - produce and meat being one of them.

Trader Joe's is similar to Sprouts/ whole foods.
+1 to that.

I visited Aldis only once and that was my first and last visit there.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:57 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
I don't carr for generic stuff but for those who don't care, I've heard it can be a big savings.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 129,851 times
I love trader joes and Aldi's. First, they are owned separately by 2 German brothers. They are operated separately but do share logistics (trucking and warehouse distribution). Trader Joes is awesome for odd and unique items but for me, it's not a weekly shopping destination. Aldi's on the other hand offer basic items that are high frequency moving items at traditional grocers. They do not carry name brands and private label their stuff with a cheesy name. But the products are made by the major name brands. We like Aldi's for cereals, snack items (granola bars, breakfast bars, chips, nuts, etc.), dairy (cheap milk, butter, real cheese, and eggs), baking goods (sugar and flour are cheap), and some frozen goods. When you buy butter and sugar, are you that hung up on brand names? We're not and find it to be a bargain place. We avoid meats there but have generally had good luck with some vegetables. Plus canned items like cream of mushroom, rotel, tomato paste, etc. When we are at the traditional grocery store, we buy store brand of these same items. Who doesn't buy kroger brand or hill country fair or SAMs choice on occasion? Plus I find the generic quality to be better than generic at the major grocery locations. The big rub with a lot of folks is with the cash/debit policy. We shop here once a week and rarely spend more than $50 so that isn't enough to mess up my cash flow or ruin any credit card point collections. Then you have to use your own bags and use a quarter to unlock a shopping cart. I also love the fact that you can park near the front door, easy in and out, and efficient. Glad Aldi's is in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston