Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 AM

7 posts, read 7,413 times

Advertisements

Dear Fellow Houstanians,

We are both flying in from Europe on a 3 year contract at the end of next week! My spouse is being relocated to Houston on a L1 visa meaning I could get an EAD to work after quitting my job here. She will be working at zip code 77002.

We are not confident living off wifey's 65k nett/annum salary. So, I will most likely to find a job or to start an online business with a trading partner back at home. We have no plan for kids for the nearest 2 years.

Our budget:

$1200 all in if possible for 2-3 br house rental with a sizeable yard for a large dog.

So far, her colleagues from Houston's office have suggested areas from Spring Shadow, Spring Branch, Meyerland, Tanglewilde or somewhere around City Centre.

Any advices on the location would be much appreciated. We would get our license and buy a used car (autotrader, craiglist, edmund and carmax) for daily commute. We heard that the traffic is pretty bad during the rush hour and we are used to taking the subway at home.

Thanks again, Houstanians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,816,982 times
What do you mean by "$1200 all in"? If you mean including all utilities like water, electricity and gas then you're not going to find a 2 - 3 bedroom house anywhere but in the very worst and run down parts of town.

You will be able to find a $1200/month excluding utilities in Sharpstown. Use Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,524,426 times
Maybe an older townhouse with a patio?

House with a sizeable yard and 2-3 bedrooms in that range is either 1. An hour commute or 2. Somehwere you don't want to live.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 AM

370 posts, read 613,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopking10 View Post
Dear Fellow Houstanians,

We are both flying in from Europe on a 3 year contract at the end of next week! My spouse is being relocated to Houston on a L1 visa meaning I could get an EAD to work after quitting my job here. She will be working at zip code 77002.

We are not confident living off wifey's 65k nett/annum salary. So, I will most likely to find a job or to start an online business with a trading partner back at home. We have no plan for kids for the nearest 2 years.

Our budget:

$1200 all in if possible for 2-3 br house rental with a sizeable yard for a large dog.

So far, her colleagues from Houston's office have suggested areas from Spring Shadow, Spring Branch, Meyerland, Tanglewilde or somewhere around City Centre.

Any advices on the location would be much appreciated. We would get our license and buy a used car (autotrader, craiglist, edmund and carmax) for daily commute. We heard that the traffic is pretty bad during the rush hour and we are used to taking the subway at home.

Thanks again, Houstanians.
First of all, Welcome to Houston, Texas USA.

You're going to love it here. Unfortunately the pup will probably have to stay back. Rent a nice 650 - 750 sq ft apartment for you and the wife inside the loop. That's probably your most realistic option. (And best option on that budget)

what kind of online business are you trying to start and what country are you from?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,029,155 times
Try pearland, older friendswoid - maybe the Annalea neighborhood. Pasadena only in the fairmont/space center area, deer park, clear lake in the camino south neighborhood. Go to har.com and search for rentals in those areas and you might find a home to rent in a price range that works. Older areas but decent, safe and about a 50 minute commute in rush hour. As an example Here is one in meadowgreen in clear lake. 926 Halewood Dr in har search for mls 18389820.

Last edited by texas7; 11-19-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM

Thank you everyone. We are coming in from Moscow, Russia.

Maybe we are asking too much with a budget of $1,200. If not possible we could live with a 1-2 bedroom house with small yard will do too. As with most Europeans, Moscow residents are also living in a small apartment or studio. Hence, we really do prefer the house as I grew up in a house.

As for my job prospect, I am interested in online business for clothings. If all would fail, I will just go back to the workforce. To be honest, I do not like quitting a job after 3 years in Houston. This is bad deal for my career and the employer.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Thank you everyone. We are coming in from Moscow, Russia.

Maybe we are asking too much with a budget of $1,200. If not possible we could live with a 1-2 bedroom house with small yard will do too. As with most Europeans, Moscow residents are also living in a small apartment or studio. Hence, we really do prefer the house as I grew up in a house.

As for my job prospect, I am interested in online business for clothings. If all would fail, I will just go back to the workforce. To be honest, I do not like quitting a job after 3 years in Houston. This is bad deal for my career and the employer.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,753,312 times
In the US it is very common for people to change employers every 3-5 years so I wouldn't worry about that to much. 77002 I believe is north part of downtown so you might look at a small older house in a Kingwood if you can up budget to $1500 for rent and don't mind 45 minute commute.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,753,312 times
Something like this is what you can get in Kingwood near your budget: 2915 Maple Knoll Dr, Houston, TX 77339 - HAR.com

Old 11-19-2014, 01:29 PM

77 posts, read 96,122 times
You can probably find a older, clean 2 bedroom house in your budget inside Loop 610 (but electricity and water bills are usually not included in the rent price). Look in northwest corner inside this loop (also known as Heights area). This area is easier to live in without having to drive around so much. The website Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com that another poster linked is a good search tool.

For a larger, 3 bedroom home, you will have more options further from downtown, but expect to pay extra for electricity and water with those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston