Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:41 PM

28 posts, read 39,584 times

Advertisements

I purchased ny home in April 2013. I had issues getting everything (ie drivers license and vehicle title) switched over to this address originally. Is there anyway for me to have homestead exemption applied to my current 2014 year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 04:33 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,611,159 times
I believe they will still allow you to do it. Worst case I think is that you have to pay the higher taxes if they are due before hcad makes the adjustments and then possibly get money back. On second thought I just saw you bought in April of 2013 since your purchase was more than a year prior to the deadline I'd say you should call and ask hcad as there really isn't an excuse to not get your txdl and car title changed in a year.

Quote:
Application Deadlines

You should file your regular residential homestead exemption application between January 1 and April 30. Early applications will not be accepted. If your application is postmarked by April 30, this will allow the district time to process it before your tax statement comes out in the fall. If you miss the April 30th deadline you can still apply:

For a general exemption: up to one year after the date taxes became delinquent for the year (usually February 1 of the year following the tax year).

For an over-65 or disabled person: if you turn 65, become totally disabled, or acquire a property during the year, you can apply and have the over-65 or disability exemption activated for that year. The deadline to apply for an over-65 or disabled person’s exemption for the year in which you qualify is the first anniversary of the date you qualify. In other words, you have one year from the date you qualify to apply. For example:

If you are already qualified and you purchase a different home, you have one year from the date you occupy the new home to apply.
If you turn 65 during the year, you have until your 66th birthday to apply for the year in which you turn 65.
If you become disabled during the year, you have one year from the date you became disabled to apply.
Otherwise, the deadline for applying for the over-65 or disability exemption is the same as the deadline given above.
HCAD: Property Tax Exemptions for Homeowners

Old 10-25-2014, 05:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Yes, get info in to them now. Follow up with a call. They actually are very helpful.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:50 PM

28 posts, read 39,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I believe they will still allow you to do it. Worst case I think is that you have to pay the higher taxes if they are due before hcad makes the adjustments and then possibly get money back. On second thought I just saw you bought in April of 2013 since your purchase was more than a year prior to the deadline I'd say you should call and ask hcad as there really isn't an excuse to not get your txdl and car title changed in a year.

HCAD: Property Tax Exemptions for Homeowners
No, you're right there was plenty of time. A lot of it was me finding other things to do with that time and then it snuck up on me. I've accepted I might not be able to but now that life has calmed down I'm hoping to get things back on track.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,876,500 times
Even if they can't get it processed for THIS year end's taxes, since they have already started processing the tax bills, you can file for it retroactively for one year (file it by Feb 1, 2015) and you will get a refund of the overpayments during next year. We did this on my grandfather's house since we had issues getting the exemption set up under a trust as owner of the property. They finally approved it in like August, and we got checks back from the school, Harris County and the MUD district the next year.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,454,444 times
If we just closed on a home can we send the homestead exemption now or do we have to wait until Jan 1st?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM

556 posts, read 1,087,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
If we just closed on a home can we send the homestead exemption now or do we have to wait until Jan 1st?
wait until Jan. 1. In the meantime, get your DL and registration changed over to the new address.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
wait until Jan. 1. In the meantime, get your DL and registration changed over to the new address.
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Just a reminder to all those that purchased a home during the last year, send in your homestead exemption forms NOW! And don't forget to attach a copy of your DL's which must match the property that you are claiming a homestead exemption for.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,022,587 times
And contrary to what the form says, HCAD does NOT require a copy of the vehicle registration anymore. Just the DL. I verified this directly with HCAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston