Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 38,164 times

Advertisements

Hello!
First time home buyer questions: what is your experience with escrow? We're wondering whether we should take it or not... We are putting down more than 20% downpayment, so we have the option of opting out. We are also very good with savings and money management, and good with paying bills on time.

For now it seems the pros are: convenience of transactions (not having to follow, calculate and schedule up to 4 different taxes and interests), smoothed out payment process, bank is liable for late payments instead of us. Cons come mostly from websites we've read: money lost from the interest we could be getting, paying large sums at the end of the year can be painful (especially adding to the holidays, to the hassle of keeping track of everything, and one of us is on a less stable work position than the other), bank can forget to pay all the necessary taxes and bills will be sent for us with interest and late fees.

It will be so helpful to hear about your experience with escrow account - do you recommend it? Do you have problems with it? Any information will be welcome!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,212,826 times
The escrow process works smoothly. I haven't heard of any cases where the lender forgot to pay and fines or late fees got added. The convenience usually outweighs the minuscule amount of interest you would make.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,454,955 times
I am also good with keeping track of my finances/expenses and I decided to opt out of escrow and have never regretted it. I guess its to whatever you feel like doing.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:31 PM

63 posts, read 109,124 times
I opted out of escrow and i am first time home buyer as well. I just want to be in full control of my money.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,778,083 times
I would rather have that money doing something or making money for me all year long verses making the bank money just sitting there.

If you are bad with finances then you should escrow. If you are good at managing your money then it might be best to handle your affairs on your own.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:42 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,631,821 times
My mortgage payment is 400.00 something a month. I send 1600.00 a month to citbank to a savings account named "housing" and that's where we pay taxes and insurance. It's not difficult and I'd rather earn the extra interest even if it's only 1%

Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 PM

682 posts, read 1,943,665 times
I use escrow and have had no issues. The first year they over estimated the taxes so I got a nice check at the beginning of the next year for the overage and they adjusted the payment according. Less things to have to worry about. By saving it and paying it on my own from a regular savings account I might make a few cents in interest...not really worth it.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
I use escrow and have had no issues. The first year they over estimated the taxes so I got a nice check at the beginning of the next year for the overage and they adjusted the payment according. Less things to have to worry about. By saving it and paying it on my own from a regular savings account I might make a few cents in interest...not really worth it.

I make roughly 90.00 handling on my own but it's more be able to access the money if needed or not allow the mortgage company to build a cushion that's not needed like wellsfargo did to me with a 3k cushion on a 125k house

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM

682 posts, read 1,943,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I make roughly 90.00 handling on my own but it's more be able to access the money if needed or not allow the mortgage company to build a cushion that's not needed like wellsfargo did to me with a 3k cushion on a 125k house
Having access to the money is what gets some people into trouble though. I don't think I'd have any problem, but to me is just convenient to let the bank handle it. A 3k cushion seems rather excessive. My bank requires 16.6% of the total of the escrow expenses...which is nowhere near 3k.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
Having access to the money is what gets some people into trouble though. I don't think I'd have any problem, but to me is just convenient to let the bank handle it. A 3k cushion seems rather excessive. My bank requires 16.6% of the total of the escrow expenses...which is nowhere near 3k.

Well it depends on what you would call getting in trouble. If people would tap the savings for a vacation, new tv or something silly I understand that's not what I was referring when I talk about access to the funds if needed. I don't like loaning money to the govt during the year only to get a check back in April from them. In both cases I'd rather keep as much of my money as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston