Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,340 times

Advertisements

I have a second job interview with Aldine ISD to be a High School math teacher and was wondering what you guys think about the district and the area it surrounds. Im a single male and will be moving there alone. If you could please help me with nice areas that I could move to and also any other tips that you might have for me. The current openings are at MacArthur Senior High School, Wilson Intermediate School,Nimitz High School and Hambrick Middle School. Not exactly sure what school they are leaning towards for me if I get the position. Any feedback would be AWESOME!!! By the way I'm 24 and hoping the move won't be so bad. Coming from El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Uhmmm...

Never live near your students, rule #1. Besides, you are young, you will want to be with people near your age, so look for something cheap in the Midtown/Montrose areas of town.

I've never attend schools in the Houston area, so no input there. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM

71 posts, read 101,289 times
I agree with ^ on never living near your students.

I actually completed school in AISD, and personally I would not allow my kids to attend school there. The district serves many lower income areas, and I felt that education really wasn't a top priority for many students and the coursework was not very stimulating for me. What I liked about the district was the GT (Gifted & Talented) Program. From middle to high school, my classes had the same students in them and we learned more advanced work then students outside of the program. Many of us went to college together. I went to UT and so did many of my classmates. Other's went to Texas A & M, MIT, etc.. really good schools. I would only allow my child to attend AISD if they were in all dual credit/GT Program.

I hope it doesn't sound harsh as I grew up in the area as well.

As far as the area, I would not live there. Many Aldine teachers live in Humble or northern suburbs vs. the immediate area. I grew up and went to school in the area, so I can help you if you have any more questions...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 AM

42 posts, read 71,662 times
I have a cousin who teaches Jr. High.

Does not enjoy it as only 1 of her classes 'tries' and the rest are little bad @sses.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
Aldine abuses its teachers. It is not a good place
To work.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_boy View Post
I agree with ^ on never living near your students.
It's sad that such a thing is being discouraged, but in today's world it has to be.

Yesterday's world: What's Wrong With Wheatley? - Page 3 | Houston Press

Quote:
Wheatley's new white teachers lacked experience teaching inner city black children, and, of course, they didn't live in the community with the children they taught.
- The very idea was that teachers grew up near you and could snitch on you to your parents if you misbehaved. Now...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Aldine abuses its teachers. It is not a good place
To work.
Completely agree! When I finished U of H, I was recruited by them and Alief. I did not like what I saw and heard from other Aldine teachers (I asked everyone I knew if they knew any and they put me in touch). From the strict teacher dress code to the lack of support, I got to find out what I didn't want. One Aldine HS teacher I talked to told me of her car being severely vandalized and the administrator telling her, "Well you're not very well liked." There was no investigation even though they supposedly had security cameras on the teacher lot.

Another teacher claimed she was told by her admin, upon hearing that she wanted to seek out another district, "I will not recommend you if anyone calls." This was after, she claims, having great student test scores and taking on a lot of after school tutorials. She said her admin didn't want to lose her so she was trapped.

Those are both hearsay incidents, of course, since I don't actually know them to be true. It was enough to turn me off. I'm glad I did Alief for 7 years and then moved on.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattywagon915 View Post
I have a second job interview with Aldine ISD to be a High School math teacher and was wondering what you guys think about the district and the area it surrounds. Im a single male and will be moving there alone. If you could please help me with nice areas that I could move to and also any other tips that you might have for me. The current openings are at MacArthur Senior High School, Wilson Intermediate School,Nimitz High School and Hambrick Middle School. Not exactly sure what school they are leaning towards for me if I get the position. Any feedback would be AWESOME!!! By the way I'm 24 and hoping the move won't be so bad. Coming from El Paso.
If you have a pulse, a certificate, and no criminal record, you will get the job. IF you actually have a teaching certificate in math, you do realize that you will have your pick of school districts? Seriously!! Please don't settle without investigating where you want to go.

I work in the LA area and even out here they are dying for math and science teachers with the credentials to work.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:59 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
I'd teach in HISD before I went to Aldine and HISD is bad too. There's usually no openings at the good school all 4 of them.

I like watching Dangerous Minds. I'd never want to live it. I agree with Tim. If you want to teach Math you have top pickings.

Klein, Spring, Cyfair, Tomball, Humble there's openings at every district. Aldine is not the only one available.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,340 times
Thanks for all the feedback guys I will definitely apply at other districts before saying yes to Aldine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston