Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM

137 posts, read 257,119 times

Advertisements

Do y'all recommend doing the final inspection before or the day of the last walk through?I know typically it's before, and I can see the advantages of doing it before as all the issues can be fixed. I'm worried that we may overlook something on the last walk through if we're without someone with experience.

Would it be too much to do an inspection before AND also have the inspector present on the last walk through? Is it worth the money?

We are first time home buyers, thanks =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
The protocol would be to have your inspector come out one week prior to your scheduled first walk with the builder. Then have the inspector email the builder the report immediately after. This way your builder can address your inspectors list at the first walkthrough. You will then have a re-walk with your builder right before closing.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 PM

200 posts, read 297,230 times
if you can, schedule the last walk through the day of closing as in do it that morning then go do your closing. that way you don't show up after closing and find your front door is missing or something else has happened.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
You can do it self, or hire INDEPENDENT (not recommended by the seller) Home Inspector - and I would recommend doing that.
Search the internet and call a reputable inspector to perform the walk through your house. Be present, and walk with him. You can learn a lot. You should do it BEFORE taking over the house.
Because of the importance of a proper house inspection, you should make the purchase of the home contingent on your approval of a home inspector's report. The cost of such inspection is around $300-500, but that it is some of the best money you'll ever spend!!!
Even if an inspector doesn't find a thing wrong, at least you will have the piece of mind you are doing the right thing.

A home is likely the single largest investment you will make in your lifetime, and once you have bought it, you’re responsible for it. That’s why inspecting the home thoroughly is a vital part of the home purchase process.

Here are some tips:
New Home Walk-Through Inspection Tips
http://www.totalhomeinspection.com/t...nchecklist.pdf <<< what to look for checklist
Cool Things to Remember: New Home Walk-Through Checklist
Tips, Secrets & Home Inspection Checklist | A-Pro Home Inspection Trenton NJ

Good luck with your new home!

Check for info about home inspectors in Houston, and recommendations from City-Data members:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...inspector.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...rth-waste.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...checklist.html

Last edited by elnina; 10-13-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 PM

now the above is a thorough answer!

I assumed his agent would have informed him of that much at least. and a list of inspector choices along with informing him he doesn't have to choose off the list. and provided him the first time home buyers state website, especially if it was possible he qualified for assistance.

if you are buying without an agent then read everything elnina just posted for you!

as for two inspections, I think it's overkill but that is your choice and it wouldn't hurt. if your inspector during your option period is competent then you should have the information you need from that initial inspection to opt out or ask for repairs or allowances for repairs.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichael View Post

I assumed his agent would have informed him of that much at least. and a list of inspector choices along with informing him he doesn't have to choose off the list. and provided him the first time home buyers state website, especially if it was possible he qualified for assistance.

if you are buying without an agent then read everything elnina just posted for you!
You would think so, but sadly, I met some agents that were not very informative at all, or had a load of sales, and close in a hurry. Some just simply don't care. Many new home-buyers don't know the difference, and what to expect from their agent.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 PM

I know, I know! I used the assume word!

just the way his post read my original thought was he had an agent but then again, why would he be asking here right? if he had an agent to ask.

and I've heard that about commission cutting agents. attract the clients and then rush through them since they need more clients to make up the difference for the discount their offering. (back to the getting what you pay for saying)

Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
The protocol would be to have your inspector come out one week prior to your scheduled first walk with the builder. Then have the inspector email the builder the report immediately after. This way your builder can address your inspectors list at the first walkthrough. You will then have a re-walk with your builder right before closing.
Quote:
if you can, schedule the last walk through the day of closing as in do it that morning then go do your closing. that way you don't show up after closing and find your front door is missing or something else has happened.
Thank you, that was very helpful. I did speak with my independent inspector and they also recommended a week out. I'll try to do it as close to Closing as possible.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 PM

97 posts, read 162,649 times
We had our inspection, then first walk thru, and will have our final walk a few days before closing.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I know, I know! I used the assume word!

just the way his post read my original thought was he had an agent but then again, why would he be asking here right? if he had an agent to ask.

and I've heard that about commission cutting agents. attract the clients and then rush through them since they need more clients to make up the difference for the discount their offering. (back to the getting what you pay for saying)
No, I do have an Agent and he recommended just a 2 phase. I'm just trying to get more opinions, nothing wrong with that

Also, I just re-read my post and what I meant with "before" just like you suggested a week or so before the last walk through not the day before lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can do it self, or hire INDEPENDENT (not recommended by the seller) Home Inspector - and I would recommend doing that.
Search the internet and call a reputable inspector to perform the walk through your house. Be present, and walk with him. You can learn a lot. You should do it BEFORE taking over the house.
Because of the importance of a proper house inspection, you should make the purchase of the home contingent on your approval of a home inspector's report. The cost of such inspection is around $300-500, but that it is some of the best money you'll ever spend!!!
Even if an inspector doesn't find a thing wrong, at least you will have the piece of mind you are doing the right thing.

A home is likely the single largest investment you will make in your lifetime, and once you have bought it, you’re responsible for it. That’s why inspecting the home thoroughly is a vital part of the home purchase process.

Here are some tips:
New Home Walk-Through Inspection Tips
http://www.totalhomeinspection.com/t...nchecklist.pdf <<< what to look for checklist
Cool Things to Remember: New Home Walk-Through Checklist
Tips, Secrets & Home Inspection Checklist | A-Pro Home Inspection Trenton NJ

Good luck with your new home!

Check for info about home inspectors in Houston, and recommendations from City-Data members:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...inspector.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...rth-waste.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...checklist.html
Of course! My inspector is independent. I found him online Brad Leland and then I saw some recommendations on here for him too. My friend also used him so I feel good.

Thank you for the checklist, very very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: