Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM

40 posts, read 73,077 times

Advertisements

So now we're kind of exploring the NE suburbs of Houston. Advice or opinions of Kingwood vs Atascocita. We have kids so schools are important and will probably rent a year before we buy. Input would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Oh and I'm flexible where I can work as a nurse and my husband will be working in the chemical plants along the ship channel. We also are very outdoorsy people. Love hanging at lakes, camp, hike, and bike.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
With Kids, I'd go with Kingwood due to all the greenbelts/trails/paths/parks. I hear their schools are a bit better as long as you are in the "right" part of Kingwood.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM

200 posts, read 297,106 times
I'd pick Kingwood also. things may have changed but I didn't think the two were comparable or did not used to be.

that will be a heck of a haul to the ship channel though.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,589 times
Kingwood.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:07 PM

Well I know they go to Humble ISD and there's certain pockets to avoid but just wondered overall as far as commuting, proximity to retail and grocery stores, etc. Any other suggestions staying along the NE to SE side with good schools too?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM

that's two different areas. NE and SE.

of course I love the SE and think once you live here it's easy to get around but I am sure Kingwood is the exact same way.

if you ever might want to visit the beach go with SE. personally, I also think the SE will be the easier commute to the ship channel for your husband. (Clear Lake area - Houston now, Nassau Bay, League City - a bit too far SE maybe, Friendswood - on the side close to I-45, some areas of Pasadena are nice and close to Beltway 8 - a toll road for getting to the ship channel, Deer Park, and so on)

Old 09-24-2014, 02:35 PM

We are really looking at Friendswood too so between Friendswood and Kingwood which one would be more affordable when it comes time to buy a home?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM

I have been to Kingwood a bit as I have friends who grew up there but I have not really checked it out lately for homes per say. I know the back part of Kingwood used to be the more affordable part.

now this is an opinion of course but personally I would say they are comparable depending on which part of each you choose to live. both have more affordable and more expensive housing. Friendswood I believe is spread out more than Kingwood however. again, for myself I go back to thinking Friendswood (if you get a place close to I-45 for freeway access) will have the better commute to the ship channel for your husband.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM

71 posts, read 101,275 times
I would say it depends on what part of Atascocita when comparing the two. I have family that lives in Atascocita, the parts along W Lake Houston Parkway are pretty much comparable to Kingwood.

Atascocita has a better commute and is thriving, patricularly along W Lake Houston Parkway! Summerwood, Eaglesprings etc, they all have trails and are good for kids, especially Eagle Springs. I do not know much about Kingwood.

In regards to schools, Kingwood does typically rank higher but I wouldn't be surprised if schools in Humble ISD (Atascocita High, Atascocita Middle, ETC, but not Humble High...) catch up or exceed due to the demographics that are moving to Atascocita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston