Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM

345 posts, read 1,081,321 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A month or so ago, I made the big decision to cut the cable cord in an attempt cut my monthly expenses. When I called to cancel, the rep on the phone was sweet as pie. She made many attempts to convince me to stay, but I stuck to my guns. When she found out that I wasn't budging, her entire demeanor changed. I kept my cool and hung on the 45 minutes it took for her to cancel my UVerse TV service.

I kept my wireless internet. I just looked at my bill… AT&T is still charging me for TV! I checked, and it is not for a previous month. My account states that I currently have Uverse TV. I haven't watched TV since mid-July (nor was it available).

So I'm done with AT&T. I contacted Comcast but they said they my neighborhood doesn't get service. I live in Spring, 77373. Any advice or recommendations? I'm only looking for internet.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,504,941 times
No suggestions but your ATT story sounds all too familiar with me. I believe they intentionally do things like that. When you call to correct the error, they will pass you from one dept to another, it will take about an hour. I always get erroneous bills for stuff I never signed up for, and correcting it often means hours on the phone with them, and then the bill will then be with some new service snuck in there.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:52 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,033,764 times
Unfortunately I think it's a one or the other situation. Someone has to be a cable provider in your area if its not Comcast. Who are your neighbors using?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 AM

86 posts, read 106,592 times
The only people at Uverse that can help you is the retention department. Get their agent id#. And have them enter notes in your account for future reference. Oh and take notes. I've had Uverse put in charges on my bill that weren't supposed to be there (equipment / installation). I call the cancelation department and they usually end up fixing the charges and sometimes I've also gotten credit on bill for the inconvenience. I've been happy with Uverse. Just hope I didn't jinx it

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,998,241 times
Should be grateful your area offer ATT. It should be illegal what comcast charge people here.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM

112 posts, read 147,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Should be grateful your area offer ATT. It should be illegal what comcast charge people here.
No kidding. I have cable+internet and a few premium channels and my bill is $180/mo. Only Comcast-owned equipment I use are 2 cablecards. What a ripoff.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,785,524 times
My comcast internet only bill is about 90 dollars now. Seems high to me but honestly it has been rock solid with no issues so I won't gripe too much.

I am a longtime Directv subscriber mainly for the sports packages. I switched from Comcast years ago since I am originally from Chicago and still love my teams. Sunday ticket guarantees me all the Bears games and NHL Center Ice gets me the Hawks. The HD quality is good and weather is less impactful to the reception than it used to be. Hopefully AT&T doesn't screw up the customer service as it has always been great in my opinion and experiences.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,075,076 times
We cancelled AT&T tv, too, and only kept the internet. We've had no problems. Hopefully you can get the billing straightened out and just keep it simple by keeping your current internet?

BTW people-- our $20 antenna from Amazon picks up about 75 HD channels. Got a roku for under $100. With Amazon prime and netflix, the kids didn't even notice we cancelled cable. I will say that my husband had to do some work to get an ESPN login, and we ponied up for MLB.com, but now everybody is happy and I'm saving over $100/month.

(Can someone have me over to watch RHONY?)

Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM

676 posts, read 939,264 times
See if Charter or Suddenlink are the cable company in your area. I know they serve some areas up there.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 AM

345 posts, read 1,081,321 times
Thanks to all for advice. I ended up calling AT&T four times, 3 times for over an hour and once for 45 minutes all while on my vacation in Chicago and Nashville. (NOT a fun idea for a vacation TO DO list!). Anywhoo, when I arrived home last week AT&T, despite their promises to do nothing until the whole mess was straightened out, had cut off my service! Boy was I hot! I managed to keep my cool, called them for the FIFTH time and told them I was DONE. I was on the phone for over an hour and talked to three people (the first was horribly rude) but they managed to fix my problem.

In the end, they credited my account $207 dollars for services I didn't sign up for and never received. To make up for the horrible experience, I'm getting internet for $37 a month taxes and fees included. I have Amazon Prime (love the free shipping) and just signed up for Netflix. The boys and I don't miss cable AT ALL.

That said, now that football season is here my decision to cut the cord may hurt a little more. My only consolation is that we are Bears fans and didn't get to see many of their games down here anyway.

Thanks for all the great advice. Reps to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston