Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM

50 posts, read 203,409 times

Advertisements

With the real estate bust in mind (which is only a slowdown in Houston so far), what close-in Houston neighborhoods are likely to continue to appreciate? I'm looking for "up and coming" neighborhoods undergoing gentrification, not overpriced neighborhoods ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 02:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
I think the Westbury area, the Timbergrove area and likely some of the Briar<insert name here> neighborhoods other than Briargrove and Briargrove Forest that have already hit the pricier side of the spectrum.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Spring Oaks on the North side of I-10. There are some big lots in there.

With the moderate to mid-range homes, the arrival of CityCentre and the strengthing Energy Corrider will cause Wilchester and Nottingham Forest to start to becoming the tear down mecca for the western fringes, like Briargrove did five years ago. Two homes that sold for the high 300s, are set to be built for 1.2 and 1.3 million. Yorkshire is undergoing some pretty big remodels also.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,571,653 times
Mr Football took the 2 I was going to say. Also my neighborhood is having some $600k $800K homes being built right now Willow Medows North of 610 south of brasewood. Meyerland has some $800k $1mill homes being built now north of brasewood all the way to chimney rock.

Last edited by DJboutit; 12-17-2007 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,345 times
In the up & coming, not yet overpriced category, which I will translate to mean not yet near their full potential:

To me Eastwood tops the list of the most obvious up & coming category. The handwriting is already on the wall. For example, the listing for $650,000 on McKinney has an offer pending on it already. Didn't take long either. Get the bargains while you can!

The east end is the last close in area left that hasn't gone sky high already. You have architecturally interesting housing stock & a close in location. Those are the ingredients that usually attract creative class urban types that spark/build a gentrification wave.

I expect you will hear more about the neighborhoods between already popular Idylwood and Eastwood. The brick bungalows in neighborhoods like Broadmoor, Lawndale, Jackson Court, Houston Country Club Place, and Simms Woods will continue to attract (in growing numbers) those priced out of places like the Heights and sixth ward.

I agree that Westbury & Parkwest will continue to prosper. There is too big of a Gay presence there for it not to. Any neighborhood that is heavily adopted by that demographic always gets gentrified and trendy. The Houston Press voted it "best hidden neighborhood" in 2007 and referred to it as "the new Montrose."

Shepherd Forest on the north side is another I predict to gain a lot of ground. It is sandwiched between Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, and across 610 from Shady Acres, all booming areas. I'm surprised it is not already more expensive than it is.

Lindale Park on the north side has already moved up quite a bit, but with the upcoming addition of the Metro rail line down Fulton connecting it to both downtown and the redeveloping Northline Mall/Center, that has got to boost the appeal.

It's no secret I put my money on Glenbrook Valley. Nearby Meadowcreek Village is also picking up. It is still a narrow audience since most people suffer from "southeast side vertigo" where they consider it "way over there" when in fact it is closer to downtown than most of Westbury or Oak Forest. The draw, besides being right at the loop, is you can still get a good size home and a decent size lot. Not everybody that wants to live close in can or wants to fit into a 2 bedroom bungalow. This pocket area fills the niche of those wanting something bigger, but not at Bellaire McMansion prices. Being in the middle of it, I really see the changes happening. We got a group of Glenbrook/Meadowcreek people together the other night to go to one of the local restaurants. We had Financial Planners, an Art Gallery Director, Attorney from Haynes & Boone, A person who is basically a Rocket Scientist, Houston Chronicle columnist Lisa Gray, another writer who gets published in the NY times, business owners and other professional people. You would be surprised who is already slapping up over there. I don't think we could have gotten a group like that together a couple of years ago though. These are mostly move ins from the last couple of years.

So if any of these take off soon, remember you heard it here first!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,806 times
west end/rice military

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
From an article in the Chronicle this week...

>>>"Inside the Loop, homes are moving well," said [Steve] Anton, of Hallmark Properties. "Any neighborhood that's 10 minutes to downtown or the Medical Center is immune."<<<

full article here (broken link)

Old 12-20-2007, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 33,326 times
Thumbs up I think Richmond and Rosenberg are great to live in

I am currently trying to sell my home in Rosenberg. The subdivsion is called Town Center. I am not here just to sell my house but I recommend the area. The property tax is low. But mainly the most important is that I lived in a very family oriented neighborhood. At night once in awhile the kids and the adult come out and mingle. The adults share the beers and the kids play sport on the cud-de-sac. Everyone knows each other names and we keep in eye out for each other safety. We are for sure no strangers in our neighborhood. I'm glad that I choose this place as my first homebuyers because I enjoy every moment. Plus the area is growing but the neighborhood is away from all the traffic but close enough to get shopping done or any other errands and commidities in everyday life. Unfortunely, due to a divorce I am going through I have to sell my home. I would like all first homebuyers to check this area first.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 33,326 times
What I think about the area of housing in Houston.
I think living inside the loop is more expansive then any other surrounding areas. Of course everything is there so, it cost to live. The Woodland, Humble, Heights, and other upper Houston areas that contains alot tree landscape is very pricey because of their trees. jk They try to make that area more like a higher end area but it's nice and quiet. Everything around the Medical Center is high on tax but the houses varies in areas but traffic is horrible. Like Pearland can't they space out the area down south a little more because Pearland is becoming Fearland trying to get throgh 518. Just like 1960 in Spring. Don't go on 1960 unless you are ready to cuss somebody out. I think Sugarland and the city down south of the area is nice but when are they going to finish the highway. Southweat Houston is interesting because you get a mix of food to try and there is late at night diner but it don't have to be IHOP or Denny. Of course night owls is not a place for pleasant family to live. South Houston is nice if you live in Clear Lake. Galveston the island itself is harsh if you like the Gulf. Humm, am I forgetting one? Pick and choose. The area is very different. The more you live in Houston you realize that it is a huge city and commute time is long tooo. It took me a 1hr to get to work.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,203 times
Richmond and Rosenberg are the EXACT OPPOSITE of being "close-in neighborhoods," as are Pearland, Humble, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, and many others you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston