Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,431 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I got a $1400 traffic ticket while passing through Giddings, TX because I did not stop for a school bus, but I was on the other side of the road going in the opposite direction at the posted speed limit. I think its total bs. Does anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,011,291 times
TxDPS -October 17, 2013 Obey the Law: Don’t Pass Stopped School Buses

Quote:
According to Texas statute, a driver – traveling in either direction – must stop when approaching a school bus that is stopped and operating a visual signal. The driver may not proceed until one of the following occurs: the school bus resumes motion; the operator is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or the visual signal is no longer activated.

If a road is divided only by a left-turning lane, drivers on both sides of the roadway must stop for school buses with alternating red flashing lights activated.
When the bus is stopped, children will be exiting the bus and may be crossing the road, so cars must stop.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,032,510 times
Doesn't apply on a clearly divided highway, but I don't believe Giddings has any of those on 290 through town.

Texas transportation Code 545.066

Quote:
Sec. 545.066. PASSING A SCHOOL BUS; OFFENSE. (a) An operator on a highway, when approaching from either direction a school bus stopped on the highway to receive or discharge a student:
(1) shall stop before reaching the school bus when the bus is operating a visual signal as required by Section 547.701; and
(2) may not proceed until:
(A) the school bus resumes motion;
(B) the operator is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or
(C) the visual signal is no longer actuated.
(b) An operator on a highway having separate roadways is not required to stop:
(1) for a school bus that is on a different roadway; or
(2) if on a controlled-access highway, for a school bus that is stopped:
(A) in a loading zone that is a part of or adjacent to the highway; and
(B) where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.

(c) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $500 or more than $1,250, except that the offense is:
(1) a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1,000 or more than $2,000 if the person is convicted of a second or subsequent offense under this section committed within five years of the date on which the most recent preceding offense was committed;

(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the person causes serious bodily injury to another; or
(3) a state jail felony if the person has been previously convicted under Subdivision (2).
(d) The court may order that the driver's license of a person convicted of a second or subsequent offense under this section be suspended for not longer than six months beginning on the date of conviction. In this subsection, "driver's license" has the meaning assigned by Chapter 521.
(e) If a person does not pay the previously assessed fine or costs on a conviction under this section, or is determined by the court to have insufficient resources or income to pay a fine or costs on a conviction under this section, the court may order the person to perform community service. The court shall set the number of hours of service under this subsection.
(f) For the purposes of this section:
(1) a highway is considered to have separate roadways only if the highway has roadways separated by an intervening space on which operation of vehicles is not permitted, a physical barrier, or a clearly indicated dividing section constructed to impede vehicular traffic; and
(2) a highway is not considered to have separate roadways if the highway has roadways separated only by a left turn lane.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1438, Sec. 9, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1325, Sec. 19.06(a), eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 661 (H.B. 1174), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,911,645 times
You need to watch the rapid speed limit changes in that town, and the police waiting to pounce. That said, you don't mess with school buses...

Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,429,439 times
I don't know if I spelled it correctly but there's an actual street a little north of Giddings near Sommerville lake named "Quityourbitchin".

Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,272,871 times
I'm familiar with 290 thru Giddings. There is no median or divider. The law is very clear on this, unless there is a physical median, you MUST stop for a school bus on either side of the road. I'm surprised you don't know this, unless you aren't from this country. This is the law in almost every state (maybe every?).

Pay the fine, consider it a lesson learned. We may drive like maniacs on our roads, but we don't mess with kids or school buses.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,996,999 times
Get a lawyer to reduce it.

Giddings been known to be a speed trap for many many years.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,117,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Get a lawyer to reduce it.

Giddings been known to be a speed trap for many many years.
Did you not read the OP? This is not a speeding ticket! It's a "failure to stop for school bus" ticket.

Don't waste your money on a lawyer! Just pay the fine.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:23 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,996,999 times
For 1,400 I would get at least some legal consul or consult. A call doesn't cost anything or very little.

I happen to know someone that DID receive over 2k in traffic violations there. He never told me the final result but he did say the lawyer reduce it substantially.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,431 times
Thanks for the help guys. But there were other vehicles on 290 at that time and none of them stopped (the reason I thought it was okay to go through). Guess it was just bad timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston