Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 AM

29 posts, read 107,981 times

Advertisements

Ok, before anyone bashes me...I have lived in Houston all of my 35 years. My roots are here, my family is here, I have a great job, we experience relatively low cost of living, etc. etc.

I just have to vent to somebody that I am absolutely disgusted with our weather. I know if I don't like it "wait a minute" or "leave" but while a lot of the country is getting more than their fair share of winter weather, it looks like we're on a trend for a sunny, warm (low 70's) Christmas day. I can't think of anything more disgusting. Our weather sucks anyway, well beyond sucks but this is just so sad. It doesn't "feel" like Christmas, no matter how many Christmas songs Sunny 99.1 plays or how many Christmas trees I see. I just want to know, does anyone else feel like I do? Does anyone else wish that we could have more of a "winter"? Houston has 2 seasons, hot and hotter.

The true reason for it to feel like Christmas is the birth of Christ and I haven't forgotten that, but Christmas is a time for warm fuzzies with your family created by gathering around the fireplace, it's not supposed to give you the warm fuzzies because it's 75 and 90% humid outside. I want to enjoy hot chocolate, and wearing my beautiful sweaters and my flannel pj's, but unless I crank the a/c down to 50, I just won't get to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 AM
MxL

92 posts, read 510,941 times
Of all things to complain about, you pick a low 70s Christmas and winter. Do you even know what you're saying? How would you like to be in 15 degrees with 1/2 inch thick ice sheets on your roads? An accident on every other corner. This is what I'm living in right now. I'm visiting Houston this weekend and I can't wait! If you like snow during Christmas (and I can understand that), take a Christmas vacation with the fam and experience it. Go to Colorado or something. Enjoy that you get to live in such a great winter climate. This is the best time of the year for Houston residents -- you have an advantage over so much of the country who are experiencing dangerous and painfully cold conditions.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,816,141 times
I personally enjoy wearing shorts, t-shirts and going barefoot all year round. It's not going to change anytime soon, so may as well make the best of it. Here's a little map that should help you find what you're looking for. At the same time, be careful what you wish for......

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 107,981 times
I guess I knew I'd get these reponses. I understand that snow and ice are dangerous conditions, again, I am just sad that we don't get to experience the true "feeling" of Christmas (snow, sleigh rides, skating on the frozen pond, etc). I have been to Cloudcroft for a fam vacation and it was incredible. I can't even imagine having that each year - what a dream come true. {sigh}

Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,728,953 times
Move to the Panhandle. They seem to be having that lovely winter weather you're dreaming of.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5370697.html (broken link)

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
MxL

92 posts, read 510,941 times
Why did you move to Houston if you hate the weather and holidays there so much?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,816,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
Why did you move to Houston if you hate the weather and holidays there so much?
Uh, she said she's a lifelong native.

Maybe I can do a dance, gyrate and snap my fingers for the hope of some kind of snow. Failing that, we'll just have to deal with what we have, and she'll just have to work a few more hours to take more Xmas vacations.

Besides, it's 48 degrees now, and this weekend nights are supposed to be in the mid 30s. That's cold enough for me!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,605,910 times
Solution. Go skiing for Christmas. Unless you want to pull the polar ice caps down here, that's the best you are going to get.
But remember, we did have snow on Christmas Eve 2 years ago, and a lot of it, and it stuck.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,277,449 times
Actually, Christmas is still a little far out to forecast with any certainty; however, models show that a strong front will be coming in either just before or on Christmas that will drop the temps. One model says that we may have 60's in the AM dropping down to mid-40's by lunch. Right now models are still in LaLa land and anything within reason is possible but I would not put bets down on the 70's. Though I would personally prefer sunny and 65-70 myself.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,144,810 times
i stopped thinking about stuff like this when i got stuck trying to explain to myself why everyone has a fireplace

i'm missing doing donuts and drifting and doing some slides in some empty parking lot. must be fun if we got snow in texas sized parking lots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston