Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 14,233 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to Katy from NYC and are trying to decide which elementary school to choose for my 2 girls (5 and 7). All Katy schools appear to have good ratings on greatschools.

I'm trying to find a school which has good activity programs (sports/arts) etc besides just the education. Greatschool ratings appear to be related to test scores only.

Can someone recommend elementary school in Katy ISD which has good programs and teachers?

BTW, Barbara Bush Elementary appears to be highly rated but rental homes are very few and overpriced. Is it really better than all Katy ISD schools?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Barbara Bush is a great school I have had a few friends teach there. It is comparable to many Katy schools. I taught in Katy for years and most schools south of I 10 are fantastic. The absolute best schools in the entire Houston area in my opinion are in Spring Branch ISD south of I 10 along Memorial. I have observed there and have visited many campuses as a professional.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,756 times
Barbara Bush is located in the energy corridor so thats why the rentals are so expensive. Honestly, a lot (if not all) of elementary schools in KatyISD are great.

Here are the rankings Houston wide: http://childrenatrisk.org/wp-content...l-Rankings.pdf

Specifically KatyISD (notice all of these are south of I-10):

Bonnie Holland
Odessa Kilpatrick
Roosevelt Alexander
Shafer
Stanley
Tom Wilson
Griffen
Wolman
Creech
Rylander

I can go on...these are all excellent elementary schools. We have personal experience with Rylander elementary and could not have asked for a better experience. Teachers and Principal were top notch. Any elementary in Cinco Ranch and surrounding neighborhoods are a safe bet. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 PM

243 posts, read 799,862 times
stay away from any katy elementry schools that are title one.

Title I and Learning Assistance Program

we recently moved to a better neighborhood which happended to go to a school that isn't title one. in title one schools, there is hardly any homework. they only cover the most basic of lessons. it really does a disservice and your kids will suffer tremendously if you move into an area with a title one school.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM

30 posts, read 51,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post

we recently moved to a better neighborhood which happended to go to a school that isn't title one. in title one schools, there is hardly any homework. they only cover the most basic of lessons. it really does a disservice and your kids will suffer tremendously if you move into an area with a title one school.
May be a stupid question - how can we see which schools are title1 and which are not?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post

This is blatantly untrue. The title one schools can give a great education. The only caveat is that there will be a lower socio economic status at the school. All title one means is that enough students are poor enough to need extra programs. They get federal and state funding.

If you stay south of I10 most schools are not title one.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
if poor means staying a 3-bedroom starter home (the dominant home in North Katy) then society is in trouble

poor is living in the slums...

Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,233 times
We decided to go with home zoned in kilpatrick. That was one of the very few homes in cinco ranch available for bus pickup/dropoff. Hopefully the school should be good.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 18,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary75 View Post
We decided to go with home zoned in kilpatrick. That was one of the very few homes in cinco ranch available for bus pickup/dropoff. Hopefully the school should be good.
I am looking for a home zoned to kilpatrick. Can you tell me a little more about that school? Right now we are at Hamilton el at cyfair isd and my child is in gifted program . Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston