Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,904,935 times

Advertisements

As I recall, if you are going to plant a Pear (and they do grow very fast), it is important to prune early-on to keep a solid central trunk. When you don't, they are very susceptible to splitting as they catch strong winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,727 times
Thanks for the suggestions and tips. I wanted to ask here since there are many homeowners who have probably experienced the aftermath of planting and watching their trees grow or perish.

Local nurseries aren't much help - I know more than they do (and that's not saying much) but I will say that I enjoyed my outing to Enchanted Garden and found them to be very informative.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,643 times
maas in seabrook has a good selection and is an informative nursery as well

last year planted a mexican plum which is recommended for the area and is drought tolerant and loves being eaten up by the sun. pretty flowers. i have some fruits on the tree late last year when planted. some dropped most seemed to be eaten by birds. the fruits can also be made into jams and consumed by people. if it fruits well again i will try this out

my area there are lots texas redbuds. again they have pretty flowers coming out of winter. i didnt see those mentioned either

Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,401,621 times
Small ornamental trees like vitex, loquat, redbud do very well in Houston.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
Nguyen- if you are not able to buy anything and expect to get special attention from someone that makes a living in sales, think again.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,929,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
We are ready to start setting roots down (hah) at our house and would like to start planting trees that will eventually provide shade in our backyard.

There are tons of lists out there supposedly specific to Houston but rather than research every tree, I was wondering if you could share what trees you have planted and that have done well over the years.

Would like to avoid oaks (we have enough of those in our front yard) and trees that drop berries.

Also, has anyone actually had luck with planting jacaranda trees? I saw it on a Houston specific list but am dubious that it would survive our winters.

Thanks!
Jacarandas are hardy to USDA zone (down to 20F range temps), and thus should do well in Houston, at least for decent amounts of time. This is especially the case if you are planting around the coastal areas, closer to Galveston; those areas of Houston can go years without dropping below 30F.

Queen palms are planted a lot in Houston, and have the same hardiness as the Jacaranda. Same goes for Bougainvillea flowers.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 10-26-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 AM

60 posts, read 71,339 times
If you want a fast growing, EVERGREEN (i.e. no raking leaves), low maintenance, beautiful tree that won't harm your foundation, you simply cannot beat a Japanese Blueberry. I am a landscape architect and have been using these for the last 10 years. All of my clients love theirs.

If you don't mind raking leaves, then there is no better bang for the buck than a Sycamore. The new variety called "Silverado Sycamore" has silver leaves. And perhaps the FASTEST growing tree you can get is a Eucalyptus. Some of the varieties with long strappy leaves grow TEN feet per YEAR!!

Old 10-29-2015, 01:19 PM

391 posts, read 425,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCenturyMania View Post
If you want a fast growing, EVERGREEN (i.e. no raking leaves), low maintenance, beautiful tree that won't harm your foundation, you simply cannot beat a Japanese Blueberry. I am a landscape architect and have been using these for the last 10 years. All of my clients love theirs.

If you don't mind raking leaves, then there is no better bang for the buck than a Sycamore. The new variety called "Silverado Sycamore" has silver leaves. And perhaps the FASTEST growing tree you can get is a Eucalyptus. Some of the varieties with long strappy leaves grow TEN feet per YEAR!!
Good info, thanks! Do you have a website?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:15 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,401,621 times
Water oaks are great too. Fairly fast growing and they stay evergreen except for one leaf shed in spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston