Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 AM

56 posts, read 112,417 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion on the strength of the curriculum at Presbyterian School (Elementary program in particular)? I'm debating between this school and an Alvin ISD public school, Wilder Elementary (our zoned school). Does anyone know any kids that have gone through the elementary program at Presbyterian? How did they feel about the academics? What about Wilder? Any parents of Wilder have an opinion on the academics there?

I need to decide if Presbyterian is worth the $17K tuition. I have no problem paying if the academics are strong. But, I'm having a hard time finding out if the academics are indeed strong or if it is, instead, light on curriculum.

If Presbyterian isn't that strong in academics we may send the kids to Wilder and just put them in Kumon as a supplement???

Any insight is appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,233 times
My college roommates' daughter and son both attended Presbyterian all the way through. Her son went on to Strake for high school where he was a National Merit Scholar and is now at UT in Computer Science. Her daughter is now at St. Agnes doing very well academically. I have another friend whose daughter went to Presbyterian and was an average student. She went to Episcopal High School. Presbyterian is not as strong as St. John's, Kinkaid, or ROBS but places their graduates into many good private and public high schools. Ask the admissions office about their high school acceptances and their ERB achievement testing scores in various grades. I don't know anything about Wilder so can't help you there.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 AM

Thanks KatieKennedy. That's about what I thought in regards to its "placing" academically among the other schools.

It also sounds like if I really want them to be strong students academically I would need to supplement (which I do anyway but maybe even more so) at Presbyterian as well as if I sent them to our neighborhood public school (Wilder).

Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,233 times
There are some very smart kids at Presbyterian. They place some kids into St. John's for middle and high school each year too.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM

280 posts, read 383,632 times
Presbyterian places kids to all the privates in Houston, including the Holy Grail of St. Johns. They have plenty of kids who have gone on to superior academic colleges, etc.

There will be no comparison between Presbyterian and an Alvin ISD school.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Presbyterian School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
Presbyterian places kids to all the privates in Houston, including the Holy Grail of St. Johns. They have plenty of kids who have gone on to superior academic colleges, etc.

There will be no comparison between Presbyterian and an Alvin ISD school.

This is my issue. Am I necessarily giving my kids a better education sending them to Presbyterian vs. our neighborhood school? That's my main concern and I'm only concerned because of Presbyterian not being as strong academically as I had hoped.

They are strong in other areas, however. It seems to me, and I'm no expert, that Presbyterian is the equivalent to a good liberal arts college (and I mean that in a positive way). Academics may not be their top priority, producing well-rounded, "cultured" (fairly artsy school), yet somewhat academically challenged kids may take precedence. Does that make sense?

But I get that it may still be superior to Wilder Elementary since the academic standards of AISD is fairly low, it seems. I just know that at least at the public school all students have to meet certain standards before moving on to the next grade level. Just how high those standards are is the question.

I want to be sure I don't just assume Presbyterian is a better school simply because it's private. If it is indeed "better" (academically), great. It would just be nice to know for sure.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 AM

both my kids went there. I think they were both well prepared for high school - one now in college.

I don't really understand why you state "I'm only concerned because of Presbyterian not being as strong academically as I had hoped".. Why do you think its not as strong academically? Because one person on this thread stated it was not as strong as St. Johns, Kinkaid and ROBS? I would tend to agree with them about the first two, but I think Pres is basically identical to ROBS in academics.
Go to the school - see a list of where their kids went to high school. The list will be identical to that of ROBS and AOS. All three are good. They are all better than an Alvin ISD school.

Pres is is not a liberal arts school....not that's there anything wrong with that.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
both my kids went there. I think they were both well prepared for high school - one now in college.

I don't really understand why you state "I'm only concerned because of Presbyterian not being as strong academically as I had hoped".. Why do you think its not as strong academically? Because one person on this thread stated it was not as strong as St. Johns, Kinkaid and ROBS? I would tend to agree with them about the first two, but I think Pres is basically identical to ROBS in academics.
Go to the school - see a list of where their kids went to high school. The list will be identical to that of ROBS and AOS. All three are good. They are all better than an Alvin ISD school.

Pres is is not a liberal arts school....not that's there anything wrong with that.

Oh no, not because of KatieKennedy's comment. I actually already had that perception with the exception of ROBS, as you mentioned. I actually mention the academics being "light" based on the Early Childhood program (before Kindergarten). It seemed to be VERY social (not really academic) which OK I get it. They're only 2-5, what do I expect?? Fair enough. But that's my only view of the school (friend's kid is in PreK).

It's possible that the academics become stronger once the kids hit Kindergarten but I've heard it does not. If it does, great! That's what I'm looking for. I just wanted to get some other opinions on the school in regards to the academics (Elementary and Middle School) since my view is limited.

It's great to hear from a parent.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM

I have no idea on early childhood or elementary. My kids joined in Middle School. They were very behind in Spanish, but most other subjects they were ok when they joined. They went to WEST U Elementary which is very good.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
ROBS and Presbie are pretty much the same. Both have top families that send them to both. Many go on to the top privates. We are on the westsidde so we used St. Francis and Kinkaid. Ours stayed or went on to Kinkaid from SFEds,and one went on to EHS.

Hildebrands sent their kids to ROBS, they went on to EHS
Heards sent their kids to Presbie, they went on to EHS.

I think private school students recieve better enrichment courses,not to mention PE. the smaller classrooms allow for more focused learning, and makes it easier for teachers to identify any issues with learning weaknesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: