Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,005,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I've already owned you on this debate in another thread. It appears you need schooling again. Please look up the donors of HMNS. You will see both those supermajor oil companies listed as top donors. Please look into which charities these companies support. Check out which Texas universities supermajors support. And for the fun of it, why don't you look into what sorts of health initiatives these oil giants support. Here is a hint: It is not hard to find on the internet.

Mattress Mac's 2.4 million is small potatoes compared to what oil companies contribute to philanthropic endeavors, health initiatives and educational institutions all over the world. You're showing your ignorance by posting this statement.

You school me by telling me how they contribute for the marathon? A little sign at Minute Maid park? Are you really serious?

Exxon made 30 Billion last year. How much is the contribution to the marathon? Would that even count to .000000001 of their profit?

Yeah you school me all right.

The Arnolds donate over 100M but i don't believe any of it went to Houston.

Where is the Duncan money? I see one of the sisters in the pictures all the time for social meet but I don't see any huge donations in this city.

Last edited by ipuck; 03-25-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,611,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I believe a fiscally conservative atheist already has a party name - libertarian.
Well, I don't agree with some of the libertarian takes on some modern,social issues, thus the one tick to the right socially. So, I can't pigeonhole myself.

Anyway, a private citizen can donate money to whatever he/she wants.For pities sake, they ARE sharing funds they earned and paid taxes on. Just because they didn't give to what you wanted, or didn't give enough..because its just not fair that they're rich and you're not...is ridiculous.

If and when the Obamas start forking over big bucks to social issues they are concerned about, I won't poo-poo them.

Nobody HAS to give anything. Give credit to those that do, no matter your personal feelings or political phuchtardness..

As to Exxon, I like the grants they give to science teachers and the funds they contribute to math and science education.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 03-25-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
You would probably be shocked to find out that oil companies are some of the most generous companies in existence, despite the fact that they have some of the smallest profit margins of any industry. The difference is that 1) they dont feel the need to brag about every little donation b/c they make so many (BP sponsors the Houston marathon every year) 2) The news media and lefty folks will always hate oil companies, so the just donate to those causes they care about themselves, and not necessarily those that the lefties care about.

Oil companies make more donations to land preservation and wildlife than probably all other donors combined.
Central Park in Manhattan is all paid for by private corporations and citizens. The new High Line park which is now a MUST see destination is all paid for by private corporations and citizens.

Imagine if some of that get channel here. We obviously have the wealth here.

I am thinking selfish for this city.

Last edited by ipuck; 03-25-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,801,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I voted republican my whole life. Voted republican even when i lived in both coasts.

My suggestion is a selfish one for this city.

Give people a reason to visit. An art collection that is must see. A museum that people would fly here to see.

An architectural piece that people in all over the world go WOW when they see it. Kind of like when Astrodome was built when this city was booming with the oil money.

The oil money this time around is probably 10x greater than the last boom. Where is the wow?
Doesn't seem that way from the way you post, the things you want, and the way you think 'those' should pay.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Doesn't seem that way from the way you post, the things you want, and the way you think 'those' should pay.
I don't agree with your Wal-mart protest. That's right wing republican free enterprise model right?

I only ask because the ridiculous amount of money they have made with the help of this city. Help the city back by making it world class. I am not asking them to build 100 public schools or feed the homeless. I am asking make this city WOW.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with your Wal-mart protest. That's right wing republican free enterprise model right?

I only ask because the ridiculous amount of money they have made with the help of this city. Help the city back by making it world class. I am not asking them to build 100 public schools or feed the homeless. I am asking make this city WOW.
I don't disagree with them building a walmart. I disagree with them building a walmart in a certain location. Reason - there are 3 others within 5-10 miles from the location this one is supposed to be built.

Well hopefully you can get others that care about making the city wow to help you in your crusade.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,683,100 times
Shell and Exxon have provided lots of financial backing to two top universities my husband and I have attended...funding the education and research of many students along the way.

My husband's current O&G company gives days off of doing actual company work to do community service projects around town. Tell me they don't care about Houston.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Shell and Exxon have provided lots of financial backing to two top universities my husband and I have attended...funding the education and research of many students along the way.

My husband's current O&G company gives days off of doing actual company work to do community service projects around town. Tell me they don't care about Houston.
Problem is he thinks they don't care because they are not doing what he wants.

Some people just can't see the big picture.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,821,211 times
O just grow up and get your data right. When you figure that out come back with a more quantitative argument rather than pulling stuff outta your ar*se.

Quote:
Now considering the O&G probably make 10x what those guys all made, this really is disappointing. Also, don't tell me they help fund the Marathon and other little events. Those items probably don't even come close to .000001 of their profit.

Where is the Exxon wing in the Museum?

Where is Shell School of engineering at UH?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM

693 posts, read 1,115,276 times
These other posters know how O&G gives back. ipuck really is out of the loop on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Problem is he thinks they don't care because they are not doing what he wants.

Some people just can't see the big picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
O just grow up and get your data right. When you figure that out come back with a more quantitative argument rather than pulling stuff outta your ar*se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: