Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraps1960 View Post
I made the move 2 years ago and I am so very sorry I left Washington. Now I am stuck here!

1) You cannot make it here without a car. This state is big and very unorganized compared to Washington or any other state I have lived in. The metroplex is twice as bad. Public transporation is pretty much nothing compared to Washington. In some cities in the DFW area public transportation doesn't exist at all.
2) Good jobs are rare. The competition is rough. Employers in Texas do not like to pay even the minium wage which is $7.25 compared to Washington $10.00. Does that tell you anything? The quality of life here is pretty low from the politics to the bible thumpers. Up north people and politics work for a better way of life for the community as a whole. Texans work to survive and nothing more. It's a very sad place to live in and the heat makes it worse. Read the paper and see for yourself.
3) Rent is a little less but so is the quality of housing.
4) Utilities are a little higher prices. Food prices are about the same. Gas is a lower. Medical care is far behind times (the good doctors don't stay here either). Auto insurance twice as much.
5) There is no such thing as "Southern Hospitality" unless its smiling and lying. Don't fall for that "Southern Hospitality" stuff, it's just a marketing approach to get people into the state.

Do yourself a favor and stay up north in civilization, try Oregon or California or Colorado. Texas is "hell in a basket". I am trying to work myself back to Washington.

That is my opinion about Texas.
Moved here from Ann Arbor, MI and I can't tell you how much this speaks to me and how much I regret this decision, especially considering that I actually thought about moving to Western WA before moving here but was turned off by the whole misleading "it's astronomically expensive and you'll never, ever, ever get a job" hyperbole. I've actually looked into it objectively with my more adult mind and found while it is more expensive in some ways, it's not California bad and IMHOP far more worth it for what you get. Also turns out there's plenty of job offerings that actually pay better for someone of my qualifications. Which of course, is why I'm moving there.

I know this is a few years old but take it from me, that whole "Texas is booming" rhetoric is a sham. If you're the kind that wants to buy some tacky looking McMansion in a sea of other McMansions on a grotty looking landscape, speed in your oversize pick up truck to look like hot **** going to Walmart, and think a blazing hot sun with 100+ temperatures (literally) and partial humidity all summer is "great weather" than suburban Texas is the place for you. But otherwise, realize there is a pretty obvious trade off to places where their main selling point is being "cheap" on the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston