Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,131 times

Advertisements

Do you foresee Houston annexing any large part of its ETJs within the foreseeable future? I know following Kingwood in the '90s the city hasn't utilized full annexation as aggressively, but rather an eager application of limited purpose annexation to benefit from taxing commercial areas. With the recent trend of re-urbanization/ infill / gentrification / reverse white-flight or whatever other buzzword you may be partial to within the CoH, I wonder if the city is less interested in the far-out burbs than it was during times of heightened white flight and expansion.

I'm probably over-romanticizing the idea of Houston releasing some of its outlying ETJ to its neighboring cities of closer proximity - chances are these areas will remain outside of any active city jurisdiction for quite some time to come. It's just a thought I have every time I look at a map of Houston and/or Fort Bend County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
No

Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
No
Quite succinct. Care to elaborate?

(If the answer is "no", fair enough - thanks for the bump).

Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Seems like after the Kingwood fiasco the legislature passed a law making it more difficult to do annexations like that.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times
That's a good question. The city website has a nice little slideshow about the history of Houston's annexations, and it's quite interesting: Annexation Plan

Their annexation plan for 2013-2015 mentions the annexation of two industrial districts on the east side outside of Beltway 8 along the ship channel, which makes sense. They don't seem to have any other plans outside of that.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the city de-annexed several jurisdictions since it always seems like city services are spread too thin. I don't know if Clear Lake would ever be released because of NASA, or Kingwood because of the water supply in Lake Houston. Most of the undeveloped jurisdictions on the east side will probably need to stay with the city for for the foreseeable future, but it would be nice if the city could shrink down to inside the loop so it could concentrate on developing the core while the suburbs and exurbs do their own thing.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
Houston has limited purpose annexation agreements with almost every community out there within its ETJ. In a general purpose annexation (what you usually think about when hearing the word annexation) the city has to provide services to the annexed area. In a limited purpose annexation, Houston can collect tax from a small area within a particular district (sales tax in retail pockets of a neighborhood) without having to provide municipal services to the area.

Here is a good explanation of the difference between general and limited purpose annexations and why Houston won't exercise its right to general purpose annexation....

muds-and-houston-profit-from-annexation-system - Community Impact Newspaper

Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
I really wish Houston would release some of its ETJ in the Sugar Land and Richmond areas. Seriously, that's obviously too far out for Houston to manage properly (case in point, Cullinan Park), and the residents want out of "no man's land" and into one of these smaller cities. Houston needs to concentrate on more central areas and let go of the far westward sprawl.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
The CoH entered into limited purpose annexation agreements with most of the water districts that had any sign of retail. They have what they want, the tax revenue with no responsibility to provide any kind service. They split the tax revenue with the water district.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I really wish Houston would release some of its ETJ in the Sugar Land and Richmond areas. Seriously, that's obviously too far out for Houston to manage properly (case in point, Cullinan Park), and the residents want out of "no man's land" and into one of these smaller cities. Houston needs to concentrate on more central areas and let go of the far westward sprawl.
Sugar Land apparently hates that park. Someone who used to work for the city of SL told me that due to its remoteness from Houston, there is a lot of gay cruising that occurs and that there is a "confirmed gloryhole" there.

However, this could simply be a case of Sugar Land trying to badmouth Houston. I asked how Sugar Land went about "confirming" these claims but I didn't get a good answer and I didn't have any interest in confirming for myself.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
I don't think there are any annexation plans right now. I think those days are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston