Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I've had family from both places (not Japan) come to Houston and they love the city. My mom's friend has family from New York City who just moved here after just two visits to Houston.
we moved here without seeing houston once. we had assumptions - *it cant be THAT bad*. I have family here so its not too hard to make that decision but mainly because its MY move. I am not so careless with other's time and money (and property)

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Your criteria for upscale is very low I would say. Upscale shopping atmosphere is not created from just product pricing. The renovations are ok to keep it updated, but I still would like to see some glitz and glamor, because we don't have much natural attractions here, so we definitely need to put extras into our man-made ones.

agreed.

making a place beautiful and exciting for rich people is one way to make a tourist destination because tourists are just people just trying to experience other peoples lives.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
No need to ask permission for what you want to post.

And its good you do feel upscale, but for visitors sake, it shouldn't feel just like another mall. Your criteria for upscale is very low I would say. Upscale shopping atmosphere is not created from just product pricing. The renovations are ok to keep it updated, but I still would like to see some glitz and glamor, because we don't have much natural attractions here, so we definitely need to put extras into our man-made ones.
But it doesn't feel like just some other mall, so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Do you know how many people visit the Galleria yearly? And yes, there aren't many natural attractions over in the Galleria area. You have to go to the Coastal Prairie and Bay for that.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:43 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,563,158 times
Quote:
But it doesn't feel like just some other mall, so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Do you know how many people visit the Galleria yearly? And yes, there aren't many natural attractions over in the Galleria area. You have to go to the Coastal Prairie and Bay for that.

As stated, I have visited many shopping places, and folks visiting me have seen much much better. Not worth the time and effort as a trip on its own. Good enough as a side trip from business trip or medical center visit.
As for where I am getting that from, I am a buyer, merchandiser. I attend lots of tradeshows and scouted/visited/stocked lots of shopping places here and overseas, and Galleria is very average in the realm of upscale shopping places. It is no longer enough to keep on adding space, stores, lights and hope for a great shopping experience.

Do you know many of those galleria visitors are from a side business visit and regional only? I did bring my international visitors there, cause there's not much else, its good like many other malls, but its just not wow enough.

And I hope you are not suggesting our beaches, they are even worse, at least our mall has some kind of standard. Plus you have to drive far and through lots of crap scenery to get there. Or are you suggesting 10 hours down to

Last edited by person; 12-06-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,278,932 times
I don't know how anyone can say that the Galleria doesn't have that glitz factor. What do you mean by glitz? If you don't think it should have flashy lights like Vegas then what else could you mean? The Galleria area is probably one of the most colorful areas in the city day and night.

Also if the Galleria isn't good enough to attract visitors? Why does it attract over 20,000 visitors each year? Something is obviously being done right.

EDIT: Also check out the galleria area in the next few years after the Uptown line and BLVD place is built. That will add a more urban and interesting setting. Highland Village is already right around the corner, not to mention the upcoming additions of High Street and West AVE nearby. Houston is definitely on the right track.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,563,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I don't know how anyone can say that the Galleria doesn't have that glitz factor. What do you mean by glitz? If you don't think it should have flashy lights like Vegas then what else could you mean? The Galleria area is probably one of the most colorful areas in the city day and night.

Also if the Galleria isn't good enough to attract visitors? Why does it attract over 20,000 visitors each year? Something is obviously being done right.

EDIT: Also check out the galleria area in the next few years after the Uptown line and BLVD place is built. That will add a more urban and interesting setting. Highland Village is already right around the corner, not to mention the upcoming additions of High Street and West AVE nearby. Houston is definitely on the right track.

Reposted for your convenience,
Quote:
I really wish Galleria would have that sort of glitzy factor like the ones in Vegas. Not the gambling neon lights kind of stuff, but the glamor and opulence wow factor.

Quote:
Good enough as a side trip from business trip or medical center visit.
Do you know many of those galleria visitors are from a side business visit and regional only?

And its actually much much more visitors than that, but you are talking about quality as if it is measured by quantity. Again, it is good, but not that good where it will be worth it to spent vacation money on, unless its a regional trip from Mexico, which is where the bulk of international visitors are from.

And yes, it will get better in many years with rail and other stuff, that's what I keep telling myself. But now it is a pain to show ppl around. And others cities will continue improving too, who knows what happens to them when Houston catches up.

Last edited by person; 12-06-2007 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM

36 posts, read 124,654 times
it's funny you bring this up!

In my 10+ years living in Houston, I still have the same description of when I first moved here. Houston is an UGLY city with beautiful neighborhoods. I personally welcome the contrast, it seems to be in line with most major cities block by block, urban decay, urban wealth. To me, that is what makes a city, all classes of urbanity rubbing shoulders and cohabitating in a urban setting.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,584,752 times
Quote:
No its not. That is one of the most closed-minded statements I have ever read. The Galleria is on par with every upscale mall in America. There is more money around the Galleria than South Coast Plaza in Orange County.
Money does not equal upscale, nor does it equal class. It is the Mall of America, minus the rides.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Money does not equal upscale, nor does it equal class. It is the Mall of America, minus the rides.
No it isn't. I can't believe people are actually saying some crap like that about the Galleria. It is one of the nicest malls in America:

Galleria skyline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

Your visitor numbers are off by a couple million .

And this is my 2000th post! Defending Houston against haters as always .

Last edited by Guerilla; 12-06-2007 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: 2000th post!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,584,752 times
I'm not a Houston hater. I love Houston. I am, however, a Galleria hater. It ain't all that and a bucket of chicken wings. Not even from Church's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston