Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times

Advertisements

Funny to see how some folks try to justify MUDs. Having served on a MUD board, I'll be the first to say it's a racket. The OP comes from a region(DFW) where they've been able to build superior communities/infrastructures mostly without MUDs and high water bills I understand the frustrations. That being said, there's really no way around it with all of the unincorporated counties throughout the Houston metro. No excuse for having a MUD within city limits.....greed and cash cow plain & simple. That's where I think the local Realtors tend to drop the ball down here....in DFW they(realtors) would recommend you not to buy into a MUD (within city limits). The reason why you don't see developers pushing for MUDs up there is because they (city leaders/developers) know it will just sit stagnant.

Last edited by usc619; 01-10-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yes; as a matter of fact, not just homeowners with their own system. I am a director on a MUD board; we used surplus capital funds to buy a generator too.
Well of course you're pro MUD, considering the little perks you're getting off the district tax payers dime lol

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Well of course you're pro MUD, considering the little perks you're getting off the district tax payers dime lol
My MUD provides a nice lunch for our meetings and a per diem payment that compensates me (at a discounted rate) for my time away from my office where I could make my company, and myself, money. Those are my "perks." The MUD will pay for someone to attend the Association of Water Board Directors conference which happens twice a year. I will attend the upcoming conference, but it's because I'm doing a presentation. No one else has ever attended.

Your statements that Collin and Denton counties have superior suburbs are false, no basis in fact. Do you work for the Chronicle?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,593 times
As long as we're off topic, I'd like to comment that a MUD can help the communities that are within its boundaries. Note that 'can' does not mean 'will'. It does take interaction between the residents and a MUD board to make this happen. For example, two of my neighbors were elected to our local MUD board, and now they are able to channel surplus MUD funds back into our subdivision for improvement projects (coordinating with our HOA). Sure, I don't like paying the MUD tax each year either, but at least my subdivision gets some benefit from it.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
As long as we're off topic, I'd like to comment that a MUD can help the communities that are within its boundaries. Note that 'can' does not mean 'will'. It does take interaction between the residents and a MUD board to make this happen. For example, two of my neighbors were elected to our local MUD board, and now they are able to channel surplus MUD funds back into our subdivision for improvement projects (coordinating with our HOA). Sure, I don't like paying the MUD tax each year either, but at least my subdivision gets some benefit from it.
So why have these political entities in the first place? The last thing any of us need is another taxing authority re-distributing funds in a discretionary manner.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM

To answer the OP's question....

DFW home buyers - "why in the world would I want to buy into a community and take on extra taxes when I don't have to?"

Houston home buyers - " it's really not that bad since mostly everyone around here is paying into a MUD"

...it's all in the sheepish mindset out here.

Disclaimer: this only applies to Cities, not unincorporated counties.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
If you don't like what they're doing, show up to the meetings and volunteer to get on the board yourself. It's the same thing with HOAs. Everyone complains but of course they're going to do what they want if nobody is watching.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,681 times
Our MUD in 77084 is outstanding, they have contributed many 1000s towards the installation of ~15 outdoor exercise equipment around our greenbelt, and even fixed a main line plumbing blockage for free that was within our back yard.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
To some degree, this happens everywhere. They are going to get you one way or another to pay for development, utilities and their upkeep, amenities etc. I think in highly desirable neighborhood, most people are going to tolerate them if the areas have good public schools, amenities and good location. It's a tradeoff, as all things are.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-11-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM

331 posts, read 487,690 times
MUDs are not necessarily good or bad. It's just another way of financing the infrastructure in a development. Generally the developer is not a charity. Their costs are going to get passed on to you whether it's in your mortgage or in the form of a MUD tax, etc. In creating MUDs, they are following the rules of the State. If people don't like it, that's the level at which it should probably be changed. Finally, it is a choice to be in a MUD. If you don't want to be in one I would not do it. I believe there are forms you have to sign notifying you in advance. There are plenty of areas not in active MUDs. Yes most newer areas in this region seem to be in MUDs. The advantages to other regions not having MUDs are probably less beneficial to homeowners than they are to cities of being able to control the location of development/sprawl.

These things have been going on for 30+ years and only more recently is it that hot of a topic. I think that is probably more a reflection of the times than MUDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston