Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM
MxL MxL started this thread

92 posts, read 510,230 times

Advertisements

Which one would you opt for if given the choice (and you wouldn't have to commute to work from either), and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 03:29 PM

344 posts, read 1,251,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
Which one would you opt for if given the choice (and you wouldn't have to commute to work from either), and why?
single-Uptown
married-Woodlands

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,018,488 times
Kids - woodlands
single or married and no kids and like to be out and about - Uptown

Old 11-25-2007, 05:29 PM

178 posts, read 510,448 times
id choose uptown regardless of where you are in life. contrary to what some may believe, it is entirely possibly to raise a child, or 2...or 3, whatever, in an urban setting.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,691,989 times
No, no, no! You, like many posters, are approaching this all wrong! Who are you? What do you like to do? Where will you be working? Will you be renting or are you looking to buy a home? Tell us about yourself and we'll tell you where you should live!

To answer your question though, I would choose Uptown because I would never willingly choose to live out in the 'burbs. Too far away from everything about this city I know and love - and I hate driving.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM

197 posts, read 262,037 times
Easy: Uptown. It's better because it's closer to the most fun!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM

832 posts, read 3,855,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
The Wooldands in a heartbeat.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,257,587 times
Uptown regardless of marital status, kids or no kids. Everything is at your feet or close by. The best shopping, nightlife, culture, parks, downtown, by far the best restaurants. This is a no brainer. Masterplanned communities are about the worst imo. I just don't find them attractive and seem so fake. And on top of that its 30+ miles outside of the city which makes it even worse.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,721,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
Easy: Uptown. It's better because it's closer to the most fun!
Maybe I'm odd, but during my 20s I never enjoyed living in a sketchy area's close-quartered complex where I could hear others' home theaters, emotional outbursts, and headboards rhythmically banging the other side of my bedroom wall on Tuesdays @ 1:30am. (I couldn't fathom rearing kids in this environment.) I found I could pay less per month to live 15-20 miles away on a large lot with 2-3x the home space. Being a native, driving to "the most fun" never bothered me because I drove comfortable cars making rare delays manageable. The savings in housing & the cost of extra gasoline are at worst a wash if you know how to car shop wisely. That's what I prefer, and made the move as soon as I could afford it. And now I may never have to deal with the annoyances of moving again. Again though, maybe I'm odd. It's all in what you personally prefer.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM

197 posts, read 262,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe I'm odd, but during my 20s I never enjoyed living in a sketchy area's close-quartered complex where I could hear others' home theaters, emotional outbursts, and headboards rhythmically banging the other side of my bedroom wall on Tuesdays @ 1:30am. (I couldn't fathom rearing kids in this environment.) I found I could pay less per month to live 15-20 miles away on a large lot with 2-3x the home space. Being a native, driving to "the most fun" never bothered me because I drove comfortable cars making rare delays manageable. The savings in housing & the cost of extra gasoline are at worst a wash if you know how to car shop wisely. That's what I prefer, and made the move as soon as I could afford it. And now I may never have to deal with the annoyances of moving again. Again though, maybe I'm odd. It's all in what you personally prefer.
Depends on how long ago your 20's was. No offense, but I have a feeling it was a long time ago. Uptowns beats the woodlands by a long shot. Uptown is NOT sketchy. If you live in the Woodlands, chances are you're going to end up going to Uptown anyways. There is just more to do there. I admit The Woodlands is more family friendly but I would definitely see any single being easily bored in The Woodlands.

I would say you're pretty odd, but it's your experience that shapes your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston