Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times

Advertisements

Yes, they are around. They are being displaced with all of the new subdivisions being built.

As others have mentioned, they are pretty small and don't really bother anyone. You may hear them howl sometimes at night. Unless you have chickens or small pets you keep outside, I wouldn't be concerned right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 PM

24,020 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
The Sheriffs patrol in our subdivision (Huntwick, Champions) saw 3 a few months ago in the middle of the night. We are close to Cypress Creek so good cover for them I would think and apparently Coyotes have a range of about 15 miles. A friends next door neighbour in Raveneaux found her poor cat literally torn apart. What else would do that...
We thought a Coyote had gotten a friends very large cat in Brandonwood. Vet said it was a big bird. The cat did not come back in after being let out at 5AM. It was in a fenced yard, about an acre. We have seen deer, fox and all the other mammals that roam around at night.

As I walked out around dusk with my little dog, a huge bird came down from a tall pine. Almost got the 12 pound dog. The minute i stepped out from the covered porch, the 4 foot wing span bird went straight up. It was so close, deaf me could hear the feathers move.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,558,422 times
There are a couple of Bald Eagles that come back to nest at 1960/Northgate area. I have seen them for 3 years now. I would not be letting any small animals out alone in that area! Magnificent birds though.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,888,365 times
Oh my God. Imagine that...a WILD animal running around in OUR community? Could it be that they were there first??

This is the first time I've seen someone seem surprised at seeing a wild animal in a suburb. Up here in Austin, we have coyotes, deer, and other animals right in the middle of the city. No big deal. Just keep you pets in at night and all will be well.

By the way, if I were going to be concerned about wild animals, which I'm not, it will be the Great Horned Owls.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,367,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Oh my God. Imagine that...a WILD animal running around in OUR community?

By the way, if I were going to be concerned about wild animals, which I'm not, it will be the Great Horned Owls.
And chupacabras!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM

561 posts, read 973,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
We've seen a few in Katy. They leave us alone, we leave them alone! I acutally feel bad for them, running out of woods to hide out in...feral hogs actually scare me more lol
You feel bad for them because they are running out of woods to hide out in, yet you live in the very subdivisions that were built in their previous habitat... hmmm.

Newer neighborhoods will have to deal with snakes, coyotes, hogs, and ants more so than established neighborhoods for obvious reasons.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM

705 posts, read 1,261,286 times
Yes I do feel bad for them, that's why I leave them alone. Every subdivision established or new was once habitat to wild animals.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
As others have said, coyotes are ubiquitous throughout NA. I have heard the adults howling and the pups yipyipping in suburban areas. Sugar Land also has some gators and quite a few feral hogs. And nutria rats - lots and lots of nutria rats.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,956,784 times
The coyotes and gators are native to the area. The hogs and nutria are not.

I would expect to see more coyotes in built-up areas as the years go on - they are proving themselves adaptable to human environments. Kind of like rats and pigeons. Humans provide food sources - maybe the rats and pigeons? Plus your cute cat Fluffy.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM

286 posts, read 555,661 times
that's odd, I saw one just today as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston