Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Nightlife in Houston is better than in LA? really? Never heard that one before. You sure you're going to the right places?

Is it really all about going out in Houston?

LA seems to have the new concepts of nightlife and Houston just has the same typical set-up copied over and over.

I dislike Houston nightlife because of how far apart is, plus there are so many different pockets, you have to choose a limited area per night.

Besides, I dont know if I would go to club's to meet "important" people.

Please tell me your being sarcastic.
LA has everything you want but it's just different. Going out to socialize and meet people and network seems almost pointless. Most ppl who are in the know don't hang out at bars and clubs except for maybe the nearby watering holes and if then it's all impersonal and would seem weird to approach them.

I remember meeting people in my field and more and passed up many opportunities from my many encounters with ppl in Houston at big bars. I loved going to Etro, Dirt Bar, Big Star Bar, Numbers, midtown clubs, Fox Hollow, etc. you actually meet people, mingle, exchange numbers and they call you back!

I've been on Sunset, partied in Hollywood and west Hollywood and its fun but is missing this let loose vibe. Out of the ten places I've been to in the last six months, only two did anyone dance. The big clubs are too big, shady and not worth going into. People really like to just drink talk and stick to their clique at all other places.

LA is a lot more like Austin in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 978,155 times
I don't think Radio says Houston's nightlife is better. He just prefers it to LA's. Nothing wrong with that. Just odd that he would network at a club though.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,273,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Sorry. Gotta disagree. Houston does not have "long periods of very nice weather." It's humid from as early as March to all the way to as late as November . Slight majority of the year is not mild to cool.
Everyone's thermostat differs. Here's a tongue-in-cheek summary of my experience of Houston's calendar:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from 60s to 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice however . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure is pretty-looking outside the windows. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I have to go to the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and 90% humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? Why is it 90 degrees? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home from work.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

January - Why is it so dark, damp, cool and rainy?

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anyting if you can keep March from rolling around again!"

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Hear, hear, jm02. Basically, February is the best month. Far from the "long periods of nice weather" others have peddled. Everyone's thermostat is different but to say the majority feels this way is ignorant.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,968,465 times
The weather here is not so bad. Late October to mid April is nice to me. So that is almost half the year. Most places I have lived in the US had sucky weather all year.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
80 with humidity feels decent to me. As does 85 with humidity. 90 and then it gets uncomfortable for me. So to me, Mid-May isn't even that bad. Late May is when it starts to become a problem. Besides, lows are mostly still in the 50s and lower 60s throughout most of April. 40 degree nighttime temps can even last into May.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,276,547 times
To me, the heat is really unbearable between late May and maybe mid September. That's 4 months. The other 7- 8 months are pretty nice and bearable. But I'm with jm02, too bad 5-6 of those months get dark early

Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Hear, hear, jm02. Basically, February is the best month. Far from the "long periods of nice weather" others have peddled. Everyone's thermostat is different but to say the majority feels this way is ignorant.
Well, let's see your PROOF saying otherwise, smart aleck. It's one thing to say I'm wrong, but you should be able to support your being right.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 AM

342 posts, read 804,020 times
Today is where Houston shines. 54 low and 82 high, deep blue sky and yellow sun.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM

No need to respond to someone calling me a smart aleck. Go back and read. Didn't say I was right. Just my opinion. I guess any negative opinion is frowned upon. This will be my last post on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston