Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Wow this guy continues to give the most garbage advice. Get a clue dude. What would 12 year olds be doing if they lived in one of your acclaimed parts of town? They certainly would not be gong to fancy restaurants and the performing arts. Or maybe they would already have successful careers at 12 and be able to afford and drive themselves to these things.

Let me enlighten you. It has more to do with parenting. It is obvious you are not a parent so you have no idea.

Additionally I lived in the Heights probably longer than you have been alive. There is no good schools there from elementary to high school. Nor does Oak Forest.

Your agenda to knock the suburbs and promote inner loop Houston is weak and really quite ignorant especially when people come here looking for good advice. The reason the suburbs are a whole different world for you are because you are narrow minded. I lived 21 years in the Heights and 20 before that in Chicago. I adjusted quite fine this past year to the Sugar Land. My housing budget could have put me into most of the best parts of Houston but we chose what was best for us.

The OP needs to do the same.
While I may not have children I know plenty of people who do. There ARE plenty of good schools in the area. I have no agenda. Just giving honest advice. The OP can take it or leave it.

Oak Forest Elementary School - Houston, Texas - TX - School overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 9,772 times
I wanted to keep my budget modest just to save more money to buy. If I need to spend a few hundred more I will. I just want the best environment for my child.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
If diversity is important, you've come to the right city. Even the suburbs are diverse around here. As for schools, I moved to Katy to be in a good school district for my kids, but there are some things Katy ISD doesn't have, like dedicated schools for GT kids. Houston ISD does have a magnet school program, but you have to compete for space in those schools. If your kids are really gifted and talented, I believe HISD has a magnet school at River Oaks Elementary for kids who can qualify through testing, at least they did back in the '70s when I was going to HISD schools.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
A three bedroom for $800 is going to put you into a scary area - schools are also going to be scary. Go to www.har.com for rentals. Budget is going to have to come up by quite a bit (OK - a lot) for good areas with good schools.

Figure that if the homes are selling for $200K or more - the rents are going to be $2200 plus.

Houses renting for $800 puts you in a neighborhood where they sell for $70K or less.

As to Kingwood and the 12 year old girls - I don't know, I grew up in a town of less than 5K and there wasn't much to do there, for sure - but we never thought of alleviating boredom that way. Sounds like an urban legend, of sorts.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM

872 posts, read 827,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Good schools are in expensive areas. That is just how it goes. It is hard enough to find a one bedroom under 1200 in Houston. We have a housing shortage here. There are several suburbs you can live in. Sugar Land, Katy, Kingwood are your best bets. If you are looking for diversity you need to live in the city. The suburb schools are going down hill. I would look at a two bedroom. I hear scary stories about some suburbs. I met a girl that grew up in Kingwood through a friend and she was telling me about how all the girls give bj's at the age of 12 because there is nothing to do out there. It seems few of them go to college. Just a different world to me out there. If I were you I would live in an older apartment in the city that is zoned to a good elementary school. I am sure many will say I am crazy, but I know lots of single moms that live in the Heights with young children. Anyways, you might want to look into it. Try to find a place in Oak Forest, Heights, or Montrose. The areas are safe and there are very good schools in certain parts of all of them.

Do you know when you are being lied to??????????

Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 9,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
A three bedroom for $800 is going to put you into a scary area - schools are also going to be scary. Go to www.har.com for rentals. Budget is going to have to come up by quite a bit (OK - a lot) for good areas with good schools.

Figure that if the homes are selling for $200K or more - the rents are going to be $2200 plus.

Houses renting for $800 puts you in a neighborhood where they sell for $70K or less.

As to Kingwood and the 12 year old girls - I don't know, I grew up in a town of less than 5K and there wasn't much to do there, for sure - but we never thought of alleviating boredom that way. Sounds like an urban legend, of sorts.

I knew 800 wasn't going to work. That's what I pay currently. I was looking to pay 1200. I can't see myself paying more thsn 1800 to rent, I may have to look into buying sooner.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Do you know when you are being lied to??????????
Not sure why you all think this is so far fetched. Anyways, believe what you wish. I don't really care I have heard all sorts of stories from people growing up in private schools, inner loop schools, and suburb schools. I have a more unique view when it is come from the mouths of students that went there vs parents who are told what their kids want them to know. I also have friends with children and nephews too.

Last edited by Schumacher713; 09-26-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
All the burbs are diverse and definitely not lily white, but different neighborhoods/schools show different diversity. You can look up a school's profile which shows their ethnic makeup. It's on Har.com under schools or the website for each district.

There are relatively few blacks in south Katy, and most of those are of Nigerian descent. There are a couple in each class. There are more Hispanics, Asians, and middle eastern kids.

I am not an authority of Sugarland, but I think they have more Asians, middle eastern kids, and blacks. Less Hispanics than other areas, but they are still there.

Pearland is pretty diverse for all ethnic groups.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am not an authority of Sugarland, but I think they have more Asians, middle eastern kids, and blacks. Less Hispanics than other areas, but they are still there.
Nope, Sugar Land is still almost all White, Asian and Indian/Paki... very few Hispanics and Blacks in comparison. Missouri City has more Blacks, and Rosenberg has more Hispanics.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
I was wrong. Here is the data from the 2011 school profiles. They will not equal 100% due to me rounding up or down and other races/combinations not listed. Not sure where middle eastern and Pakistani/Indian kids fall? These were the four main categories. (black, hispanic, asian and Caucasian)

Sugarland:
First Colony Middle school is 13% black and 13% Hispanic 36 %Asian 34 %white
Fort Settlement Middle is 6% black and 8 1/2 % Hispanic 53%Asian 31%white
Sartartia Middle is 7% black and 10 % Hispanic 46%Asian 33% white

Katy:
Beckendorff Middle school is 4% black and 18%Hispanic 24% Asian 52% white
Woodcreek Jr.High is 6% black and 23% Hispanic 11%Asian 56%white

Good luck in finding a great school/home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston