Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,894,169 times

Advertisements

You might want to check out Cinco Ranch and Sugarland, both of which are extremely nice areas. They're not located in heavily forested areas like the Woodlands or Kingwood, but there's no shortage of trees, and the aesthetics will blow you away (e.g., the landscaping).

Someone mentioned highway 290. I used to go into Houston on 290 from Austin, but I now cross over to I-10 at the Sam Houston tollway. 290 must be the nation's scariest freeway. Extremely heavy traffic, narrow lanes, difficult to see striping, and routine tailgating. Avoid at all costs. Some of the other freeways aren't too bad, especially I-10 west, which is my favorite freeway anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 32,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
You might want to check out Cinco Ranch and Sugarland, both of which are extremely nice areas. They're not located in heavily forested areas like the Woodlands or Kingwood, but there's no shortage of trees, and the aesthetics will blow you away (e.g., the landscaping).

Someone mentioned highway 290. I used to go into Houston on 290 from Austin, but I now cross over to I-10 at the Sam Houston tollway. 290 must be the nation's scariest freeway. Extremely heavy traffic, narrow lanes, difficult to see striping, and routine tailgating. Avoid at all costs. Some of the other freeways aren't too bad, especially I-10 west, which is my favorite freeway anywhere.
Thanks! I've heard great things about those areas.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM

468 posts, read 783,565 times
Fall Creek is 15 mins north of down town, you can do $215k with upgrades

Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Fall Creek is 15 mins north of down town, you can do $215k with upgrades
Fall Creek seems like a great community, one of the builders we're considering builds in that community.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in the Houston area with my budget, you're stuck between more sq, lower quality builds vs amenities and slightly better builds but lower sq ft.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiego View Post
Fall Creek seems like a great community, one of the builders we're considering builds in that community.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in the Houston area with my budget, you're stuck between more sq, lower quality builds vs amenities and slightly better builds but lower sq ft.
Yep. Unless you really need that extra square footage - you are better off going with a better build in a better area. All things connected make a difference - better schools, better appreciation, less maintenance, lower utility bills, etc.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 PM

22 posts, read 59,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Cypress to Downtown is a headache - don't do it.

Kingwood looks as far, but 59 moves, unlike 290. I would do Kingwood before The Woodlands because #1) prices escalating in The Woodlands, due to Exxon, which makes it hard on that budget and #2) I think 59 moves faster than 45 to Downtown.
I commuted from Spring to Downtown for 3 months. It was killer both ways. Easily 1 hour sitting in a car driving at snails pace after crossing I-45 and Beltway 8. That was leaving home around 7:15am. The only time I had a 45minute commute was when I was on the road before 6:30am.

I then used the park and ride and it made life much nicer, because they use the HOV lanes, though I had to stand on the bus going back home in the afternoon for 30 minutes at times.

You're looking at the other corner, which I don't have much experience with, but it seems to be a similar distance. Are you okay with being in a car 1.5 hours each way? Because that will happen in peak rush hour. You'll never avoid it unless you leave home around 630am and leave downtown around 3:30pm.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Thanks everyone in Houston for being so helpful to those out-of-towners looking for tips.

Quick update on my move progress - we are now pre-approved and ready to make an offer and looking at a few different areas around Spring (Montgomery/East of 45). My question today is looking way ahead, when the Grand Parkway cuts through Spring and Riley Fuzzell Rd. One of the neighborhoods we've been looking (Lockeridge Farms) is very close to the proposed Parkway design (see picture)

In your opinion, would this help or hurt the value of the house due to the proximity? Not asking anyone to predict the future, but just a general idea if in Houston this would be a good thing.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,994,140 times
General rule is closer to a major freeway the more desirable the real estate due to convenience. I think it should still apply here.

Where you pull that map from? The parkway is long way to go from what i understand.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
I'll let the pros chime in, but once XOM moves in the prices for that area will go up 20% (if they haven't already), so you better decide quickly.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
General rule is closer to a major freeway the more desirable the real estate due to convenience. I think it should still apply here.

Where you pull that map from? The parkway is long way to go from what i understand.

Yes, it's ways away, but it's my nature to do as much research as I can before pulling the trigger!

Here's the Google Maps mashup for Grand Parkway - Grand Parkway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston