Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times

Advertisements

"Since the bottom of the recession, the Houston metro area has grown by 309,100 jobs, or 201.9% of the 153,100 jobs lost during the recession. No other major U.S. metro has exceeded its previous employment peak by a larger proportion.”

"Harvey says Houston is hiring across the board--but there’s “definitely an emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math),” he says. “That includes professionals in finance, medical professionals, and certainly the engineering community.”

The Best and Worst Cities for Jobs This Fall - Yahoo Finance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Key word; professionals.

Another thing Houston is synonymous with; low wage service sector work.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
I'm just gonna say it. It's been a hellish day so I'm in a mood but honestly if Houston is jobs we're not getting the top tier people. If this board is anything to go by sure people take pay cuts and are budgeting and with our property taxes and stuff but still but the type of housing budgets people ask for help about doesn't ring STEM sector people. Nothing wrong with that but I'm just saying.

We're kind of getting more MA/PCA types over RN to MD salary types. Just as a medical example that give you a gist of salary. $70-100k+++ folks not in droves.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'm tired of hearing "Houston is job"
The more we push that, the faster that's going to change to "Houston is chaos"

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Key word; professionals.

Another thing Houston is synonymous with; low wage service sector work.
Did you even read the article? Lol ,theres nothing low wage about oil and gas or the Medical Industry, or Law industry. There are jobs right now in the oil/gas industry that are hiring for what is essentially a laborer that start out paying $55,000. Of course if you have no education your job prospects are low. If you're going to troll, just stay in the California forum.

Local College Creates Training Center For Oil Jobs - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I'm just gonna say it. It's been a hellish day so I'm in a mood but honestly if Houston is jobs we're not getting the top tier people. If this board is anything to go by sure people take pay cuts and are budgeting and with our property taxes and stuff but still but the type of housing budgets people ask for help about doesn't ring STEM sector people. Nothing wrong with that but I'm just saying.

We're kind of getting more MA/PCA types over RN to MD salary types. Just as a medical example that give you a gist of salary. $70-100k+++ folks not in droves.
I've thought about this, and I think the reason this board skews toward the lower income transplants is because lower income jobs tend to offer less orientation to their transplants. My wife and I moved here because she got a job as a humanities professor at a community college. We just just felt lucky enough to have any kind of a job in the humanities that she was quick to accept, but the job itself is not particularly "perk"y; it came with no travel money and little in the way of "new city" orientation. Compare that to a comparable position at a university, and you're likely to have faculty give you tours of neighborhoods in your price range, near the university, etc... People use this board when they don't have anywhere else to turn, and that's why we're such a motley crew!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Did you even read the article? Lol ,theres nothing low wage about oil and gas or the Medical Industry, or Law industry. There are jobs right now in the oil/gas industry that are hiring for what is essentially a laborer that start out paying $55,000. Of course if you have no education your job prospects are low. If you're going to troll, just stay in the California forum.

Local College Creates Training Center For Oil Jobs - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston
Skilled labor, professional usually make up the total people that are benefiting the most from the economic boom. And I think that the local college creating a training center for oil jobs is a great start to get people not benefiting from the boom into it. I think that is exactly what the city should focus on doing.

Besides the two types I listed, job prospects are still pretty bland. The point wasn't to troll but that the hype around Houston should be put into context. I've also posted up several articles that say wages are up, job growth is up but so is poverty in Houston. Why? Because a huge chunk of the growth are low wage jobs. At the lower end, it's just like the rest of the country (proly worse considering the bad services in TX).

So quit with the troll accusations and just accept the fact that the Houston boosters aren't telling the whole story. Houston's success is a bit more nuanced that you're making it out to be.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM

54 posts, read 128,196 times
Yes please send me all these jobs that start out at 55k I have a long list of people looking for work lol

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Saudi Arabia is synonymous with jobs. not sure if we want that

Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM

The article is from 2011 but pretty sums up the other half if the story.

Like I've been saying I knew there was a reason why Forbes and all those other financial rags are praising TX but not other states faring well.

Also why the only people that seem to buy the hype are the people most benefitting from the boom; skilled laborers and professionals in the right industries. I love Texas needs to face facts instead of just embracing right wing jingoism and telling the people not faring well to tough it up.

Why Texas is the China of the West | Mother Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: