Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM

71 posts, read 158,996 times

Advertisements

Hi, all, we need your help choosing between Home Depot and Lowes. I don't think I can tell any difference between the two and brands carried by them (nor could my husband I guess). We normally choose to go to one place instead of the other based on convenience only (e.g., if we go to Costco shopping that day, we will go to Lowes; but if we are on the way back home from somewhere, we will go to Home Depot). Sometimes, my husband has to visit both places to find the gadget he needs, but we never find one place that always has the things we need (or have the things with better quality). We never formed an opinion as to which one is better (and we are ok with it). But now, we are thinking about updating our bathroom sinks and countertops, and really need to make a decision as to which one to go.

We need solely to update the sinks and the countertops because the previous owner had done a beautiful job upgrading the bathroom showers, floor and etc. (why they left the pink sinks and white corian countertops in place is beyond me). We visited Home Depot this past Saturday - the lady there told me that if we buy the sinks and countertops from them, the installation is included (i.e., no extra fee). We will check out with Lowes this weekend to see if they have the same deal.

Have you guys ever used Home Depot or Lowes to install bathroom countertops and/or sinks? How is the workmanship? Would you recommend it? We are also thinking about hiring a local contractor to do the job, but since the job is relatively easy, maybe a big boy like Home Depot or Lowes may do the job relatively cheaper? We welcome any of your thoughts and opinions and recommendations. Thank you!!!

Daphne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM

191 posts, read 350,607 times
To be honest, I hear that HD and Lowes end up with some of the lower quality workers because the folks that do good work can support themselves and have lucrative business through word of mouth. I don't have specific experience with HD or Lowes but I do have some friends that used a contractor through them. The rates for installation weren't terrible, but they overestimated the amount of materials needed and the friends ended up with significant leftover, worthless scrap that they paid for.

In addition to your research on Lowes and HD, you might check Floor & Decor. They usually have a bulletin board with plenty of business cards. They also have contractors building sample displays for the store and you can see their work prior to hiring them. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post
To be honest, I hear that HD and Lowes end up with some of the lower quality workers because the folks that do good work can support themselves and have lucrative business through word of mouth. I don't have specific experience with HD or Lowes but I do have some friends that used a contractor through them. The rates for installation weren't terrible, but they overestimated the amount of materials needed and the friends ended up with significant leftover, worthless scrap that they paid for.

In addition to your research on Lowes and HD, you might check Floor & Decor. They usually have a bulletin board with plenty of business cards. They also have contractors building sample displays for the store and you can see their work prior to hiring them. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
Both companies contract out any work they sell in store. You can never be sure who will show up to do the job. I've had two jobs done through Lowes and was happy enough both times, but I did save quite a lot when I used a contractor directly instead of using theirs to do a different job.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Thank you. Do you think you saved a lot because the local contractor can get the materials (the granite and sinks) at a lower price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Both companies contract out any work they sell in store. You can never be sure who will show up to do the job. I've had two jobs done through Lowes and was happy enough both times, but I did save quite a lot when I used a contractor directly instead of using theirs to do a different job.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Yes, stay away from the big-box stores for installation for the most part like mentioned above. Not sure where you're located, but we're using Texas Custom Granite to finish out our bathroom countertops on the west side of town. They're super nice and have heard good things about their work through co-workers which is how I found out about them. Might be worth a look.
Texas Custom Granite

Old 09-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Thank you for the recommendation. We live in the West Memorial area - will definitely check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Yes, stay away from the big-box stores for installation for the most part like mentioned above. Not sure where you're located, but we're using Texas Custom Granite to finish out our bathroom countertops on the west side of town. They're super nice and have heard good things about their work through co-workers which is how I found out about them. Might be worth a look.
Texas Custom Granite

Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne326 View Post
Hi, all, we need your help choosing between Home Depot and Lowes. I don't think I can tell any difference between the two and brands carried by them (nor could my husband I guess). We normally choose to go to one place instead of the other based on convenience only (e.g., if we go to Costco shopping that day, we will go to Lowes; but if we are on the way back home from somewhere, we will go to Home Depot). Sometimes, my husband has to visit both places to find the gadget he needs, but we never find one place that always has the things we need (or have the things with better quality). We never formed an opinion as to which one is better (and we are ok with it). But now, we are thinking about updating our bathroom sinks and countertops, and really need to make a decision as to which one to go.

We need solely to update the sinks and the countertops because the previous owner had done a beautiful job upgrading the bathroom showers, floor and etc. (why they left the pink sinks and white corian countertops in place is beyond me). We visited Home Depot this past Saturday - the lady there told me that if we buy the sinks and countertops from them, the installation is included (i.e., no extra fee). We will check out with Lowes this weekend to see if they have the same deal.

Have you guys ever used Home Depot or Lowes to install bathroom countertops and/or sinks? How is the workmanship? Would you recommend it? We are also thinking about hiring a local contractor to do the job, but since the job is relatively easy, maybe a big boy like Home Depot or Lowes may do the job relatively cheaper? We welcome any of your thoughts and opinions and recommendations. Thank you!!!

Daphne
We have used them for other installation needs and they are pretty good. They provide a warranty and are pretty competitive. I'm a vet, so I get 10% off the cost of materials at both Lowes and Home Depot, which is really nice.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Their workmanship is fine. Their granite is extremely expensive compared to local places. I would say 2-3x.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Thank you. Any local contractor you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Their workmanship is fine. Their granite is extremely expensive compared to local places. I would say 2-3x.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston