Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM

785 posts, read 1,240,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Good luck with that.
Hrm? They do a good job of keeping them away from Market Square. Of course, it means they all congregate on Allen's Landing but I've never seen it be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,159,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't know why Houston treats these issues like they are the hardest problems to solve. Is our city planners that dumb and clueless about building urban areas???

I personally feel urbanizing midtown is the way to go. That will eventually feed into downtown. Downtown at this point is kinda of on the fence of beyond repair due to the tunnels.
Except that is not true.. hell I was downtown just wednesday.. and the number of people out and about at 9 at night was decent.. given that a year ago it would be a ghost town by 6....

Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Glad somebody mention the transit part. I think people's unwillingness to drive to downtown and to find parking turns not only people off, but developers as well.
I think GreenStreet is going to offer validated parking in their garages with purchase.

And if you read their plan on page 32, they're proposing that the city take some of the private surface lots and offer them free or nearly-free (first 2 hours are free, then $1 or $2 afterwards) that are in the vicinity for use by shoppers. They're also proposing more garages that are connected and have easy street access (also offering first two hours free and validated parking).

Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Hrm? They do a good job of keeping them away from Market Square. Of course, it means they all congregate on Allen's Landing but I've never seen it be impossible.
For the most part they keep them out of Discovery green as well.. It about how much you enforce the loitoring laws really.. but really they dont bother me...except the ones that keep begging even after you say no....
I say a group of people at flying saucer having a drink and a dude was aking for some change.. guy said , n but he just kept at it.. thats the sort of crap that turns people off to a area

I dont expect them to be alround allen landing for long ,once the coffee House is up and running .look for the city to run them out there.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Just remember that even with the new downtown residential coming in, it's not enough to support more than some convenience retail. Downtown is still on the edge of the populated area with disposable income - it needs to be in the middle of it to have a better chance at retail success.
Here's what they're saying about the population near the proposed downtown retail corridor versus our other established retail centers:

Pop. wjin 1-mlle
Downtown - 23,594
Galleria - 17,925
Memorial City Mall - 14,075
Woodlands Mall - 3,442

Pop. w /in 3-miles
Downtown - 167,801
Galleria - 181,618
Memorial City Mall - 120,762
Woodlands Mall - 47,277

Obviously everyone drives to the malls so the comparison isn't completely direct, but if these numbers are true then there are plenty of people that are in walking range of this retail corridor, not to mention other options like the bike share, Greenlink, and the light rail.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
For the most part they keep them out of Discovery green as well.. It about how much you enforce the loitoring laws really.. but really they dont bother me...except the ones that keep begging even after you say no....
I say a group of people at flying saucer having a drink and a dude was aking for some change.. guy said , n but he just kept at it.. thats the sort of crap that turns people off to a area

I dont expect them to be alround allen landing for long ,once the coffee House is up and running .look for the city to run them out there.
Quite true, it was worse trying to walk around DC. The homeless here are quite manageable compared to other cities, they haven't reached zombie epidemic proportions here yet

Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Here's what they're saying about the population near the proposed downtown retail corridor versus our other established retail centers:

Pop. wjin 1-mlle
Downtown - 23,594
Galleria - 17,925
Woodlands Mall - 3,442

Pop. w /in 3-miles
Downtown - 167,801
Galleria - 181,618
Woodlands Mall - 47,277

Obviously everyone drives to the malls so the comparison isn't completely direct, but if these numbers are true then there are plenty of people that are in walking range of this retail corridor, not to mention other options like the bike share, Greenlink, and the light rail.
Right the numbers are there it convince people to change there precetion of DT.. that must be addressed... I think Green St has the right idea.. once up they will be holdin open venue events, and free concert .etc . it takes time to change people views on area..

Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,050,108 times
Quote:

Pop. wjin 1-mlle
Downtown - 23,594
Galleria - 17,925
Woodlands Mall - 3,442

Pop. w /in 3-miles
Downtown - 167,801
Galleria - 181,618
Woodlands Mall - 47,277

Notice that I said population with a lot of disposable income - downtown still lacks that to the north, east, and southeast; that's what differentiates it from the other retail districts. It is changing though. The rapid increase in white collar population in Midtown etc. represents potential downtown retail customers.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,564,080 times
I always had big hopes for that mall. On my 1st day in houston some street bum scared the bejesus out of me when that was a parking lot. next day they cordon off the whole lot to start building the mall. It was my view from my 1111 fannin

Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Notice that I said population with a lot of disposable income - downtown still lacks that to the north, east, and southeast; that's what differentiates it from the other retail districts. It is changing though. The rapid increase in white collar population in Midtown etc. represents potential downtown retail customers.
Doesn't East Downtown represent a population with disposable income? That was one of the areas they cited in their report, especially because it was so very close. North and Southeast are definitely the missing pieces though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston