Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM

188 posts, read 350,718 times

Advertisements

[quote=GTRdad;31398579][b]I see a lot of pairs in Katy mills where the fatty hubby is in a simple tshirt and jeans while the wife is completely dressed up and looks like a pharoah and they just walk and walk just showing off 'something' not sure what or maybe they just want to be seen.

So true,my thoughts exactly. I witnessed similar samples in other suburbs also. I don't know if I will hurt some people by saying this, but same attitude is seen sometimes in showing off the kind of car they drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,469,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
Time to move. Two incidents. I'm outta here.
Yep, it's been all downhill since Aldi set up shop here

Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM

988 posts, read 1,207,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In my CV, should have mentioned debate judge at Spring High School.

Debate does not involve insulting folks who have another opinion.
Do the debate standards and Spring High School allow for propositional fallacies, straw men, and appeals to authority?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,564,080 times
another one on facebook. random incident I suppose

Suspect arrested, lockdown lifted at Katy ISD elementary school | Latest News - Home

Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 PM

967 posts, read 2,623,297 times
Sure, GTR, get out while you still can.

Dare I ask what enclave you will find that will be 100% crime free? Shoot, even Mayberry had a police department for a reason.

Let's be reasonable, none of us can buy ourselves out of real life. In real life sometimes bad things happen. Cinco Ranch is simply a neighborhood with a few pools and parks and some deed restrictions. Nothing more.

Where are you planning to go that crime no matter how small doesn't exist?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,161,373 times
Crime will always go where the money is..... Doesn't have to do with political affiliation.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:37 PM

988 posts, read 1,207,974 times
Decent, hard working people aren't allowed to have nice things or live in crime free areas. We keep moving westward to escape the crime riddled Obama-voter filth, and they keep following us. Now that the Katy area is expanding almost to Brookshire, we get to import their trash too. Might as well move to Columbus or Brenham and get it over with.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,161,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Decent, hard working people aren't allowed to have nice things or live in crime free areas. We keep moving westward to escape the crime riddled Obama-voter filth, and they keep following us. Now that the Katy area is expanding almost to Brookshire, we get to import their trash too. Might as well move to Columbus or Brenham and get it over with.
I doubt hard working people have to copy and paste their rants.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,275,691 times
While crime can happen anywhere, some places are relatively safer than others. Of the two incidents mentioned, one was a targeted domestic dispute. It was very serious and tragic indeed, but it was not a random crime against an unrelated person.

That being said, Katy has growing pains, and it does have it's share of crime, which are primarily burglaries, that are mostly preventable with some effort and due diligence.

I do think we have a crime problem in Houston, although a typical Houston suburb, with all its issues, still seems much safer IMHO than our neighboring state to the East.

What can be done to combat the crime issue?
1) Better early education -should teach common sense & the evils of crime. While it is ultimately the parents responsibility for raising a child, there needs to be an understanding that many low income parents will not deliver. Maybe they are working 2-3 jobs - who knows. We need to address this vs. just ignoring it.

2) Better unemployment benefits. I know this is controversial, but Texas unemployment benefits are pathetic compared to other states. I personally know people who have been out of work for 6 months and were trying hard to find a job, and the unemployment benefits were pathetic. I am in no way advocating for a well fare state, but just mentioning that unemployment benefits should be improved for those actively engaged with finding gainful employment. Many people may become desperate when the feel hope is lost.

3) Be tough on organized gangs. Many gangs in the Houston area are turning our kids into thugs that will later terrorize hardworking people. This is not just a Houston issue. The State and County need to be tough on this. Some of these people are so evil that taking another person's life is nothing to them.

4) Be tough on criminals, especially violent criminals, while at the same time giving hope to those who will be released. Prison should NOT be a place where crime can be directed on the outside and should not be a place where prisoners learn to be even more hardened criminals. Those prisoners who are able to work should work in prison generating income for the facility to reduce taxpayer burden while learning skills. Also, there should be a path for released prisoners to be able to remove the 'felony' stigma so they can again find gainful employment. If a prisoner is released and has no means to find gainful employment, what do you think many will be forced to do? The 'felony' stigma removes all hope from.these people, and perpetuates there criminal activities when being released. Something needs to be done to address this.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,740,553 times
Given the vast inequities in the way income is distributed, what is really surprising about American society is that there isn't more crime being committed. If we wanted less crime--like actually wanted it--we'd raise the minimum wage to a living wage, institute universal single payer healthcare and cap corporate profits. There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: