Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 17,353 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a house and move from San Diego, CA to Houston, TX within 2-3 months, I've been to TX many times but never to Houston. I'll go to Houston next week to see a couple houses that I found online, they are located in Sugar Land, price range between 100k-120k for a 3 beds/2baths. I made some researches online and heard good stuff about Sugar Land, but recently while doing my home work, I found some very nice houses with reasonable prices just to the north of Sugar Land towards George bush Park, exactly in Mission Bend and Alief. I have no idea of how these neighborhoods are comparing to Sugar Land, are they Better? Worst? I have a family, pregnant wife and 3 children, they are in middle/elementary schools. Please advise. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 AM

914 posts, read 1,837,315 times
Alief schools are not the best. Sugarland schools are better.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM

235 posts, read 360,937 times
If those houses go to Alief schools, avoid them.

Bad news.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,703,758 times
That price range and good schools in Sugar Land might not be possible.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Many thanks to all of those who have provided valueable information that helped me a lot!

Regarding the weather, how humid is it? and for how many months the humidty lasts usually

Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,223,877 times
Great short Spring - LOOOOOONG hot Summer (94-102) degrees, over 60% humidity - short great Fall - short wonderful Winter.

Agree with others - stay out of Alief - or the part of Sugar Land that borders it.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM

61,925 posts, read 87,533,958 times
I would say: don't buy a house, yet. Rent first and look around, take more time, check other areas, drive by on different days and times, check the traffic etc.
Where will you work?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 AM

235 posts, read 360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would say: don't buy a house, yet. Rent first and look around, take more time, check other areas, drive by on different days and times, check the traffic etc.
Where will you work?
This ^^^^^^^

Rent first and figure out where you want to live. Even if it is just for six months.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where will you work?
I agree! I even would suggest the same if I read a post like mine, but don't you think it is kind of difficult to move twice within a year with a lot of furniture and 5 members family? Moving means changing the address in too many places and get 3 kids jumping to different school every time, it is just a headache. My work has nothing to do with where I live as my work is based on traveling around the states and overseas.

I just want to make sure that my choice of living in Sugar Land wont be something that I would regret in the future. Thanks for your concern.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:22 AM

61,925 posts, read 87,533,958 times
^^^ No, it's way more difficult to live in a house you might not like, because you didn't realized there are problems when you bought it, or get stuck in an undesirable area, because you didn't check on it before the deal. While it's not important to you where you live, you may have to consider what could be important to your wife and kids.
It is NEVER a good idea to come to a city (you never been in before), for few days, and buy a house. It's not a pair of shoes - it's an expensive, long term investment. It should be well researched.
What we like and suggest might be nice and good, but ultimately YOU are the guy who will pay the mortgage, and if you travel a lot - your wife will be stuck with problems to solve.
There might be a lack of shopping diversity, or not enough recreational area, or schools that are not what YOU expect, or HOA that is difficult to deal with etc.

You also need to have it inspected by independent inspector. (inspector not appointed/suggested by a selling Realtor, and it is advised to be present at such inspection to ask questions/understand problems)
Don't expect a house in that price range to be in the greatest shape. You need to know your house well, before you decide to buy, and you need to know all the faults, then decide if you want to do the repairs/improvements and how much they will cost you. That has to be done BEFORE you decide to buy it.

It will be wise to check the flood map too:
http://fbcmap.co.fort-bend.tx.us/floodmaptool/

Research the house previous insurance claims, if any.

The crime statistics:
The system can be viewed at www.raidsonline.com, or a link is available on the Fort Bend County website, www.co.fort-bend.tx.us, under the “criminal statistics” link on the sheriff’s office site. The link is “Bair Analytical/RaidsOnline.”
Once on the RAIDS Online site, click on Texas to see the communities participating.

You also need some time to check different lending companies for a best deal - except you are going to pay cash.
Are you a first time buyer? There might be things you need to know before you decide on a house purchase.
Renting is the smartest option, even if short term. You can store your excess stuff in a rented storage.
BTW: we have no way to know what YOU might regret in the future. That's why it's so important to research all your options in person.

Temperature and humidity charts (2012)
https://weatherspark.com/history/296...-United-States

Last edited by elnina; 08-31-2013 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston