Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 95,707 times

Advertisements

I had an earlier thread about my possible relocation to Houston. Well, I got the job. I am working from home until the beginning of the year then my company will move me down to Houston. I do have to spend a week or so in Houston every month and I am trying to figure out commutes times. I have narrowed down to where I want to live to either The Woodlands or Midtown. Kind of opposite sides of the spectrum I know.

I am going down next week and I talked to my boss and he recommended me staying in a hotel near where I looking at to live so I can gauge the commute times. I have traveled from The Woodlands to Greenspoint and it took me about 20 minutes. What do you think the best route from Midtown/Medical Center to Greenspoint would be?

I'm trying to find some hotels as close and reasonably priced as I can right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
How old are you and what do you like to do? Are you single? Kids? What is your apartment budget? Don't worry about the commute times. They will be about the same from both. If you have a family then live in the Woodlands. If you are young and single then live in midtown/montrose/heights. I know many people that made the mistake of moving to the Woodlands when they first moved here. One actually broke his lease. From the Woodlands you will have a 20min commute to work. You will have a 45min to have fun. You will also have a 45min drunk drive unless you plan to crash at friends places. The big difference will be the price.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
How old are you and what do you like to do? Are you single? Kids? What is your apartment budget? Don't worry about the commute times. They will be about the same from both. If you have a family then live in the Woodlands. If you are young and single then live in midtown/montrose/heights. I know many people that made the mistake of moving to the Woodlands when they first moved here. One actually broke his lease. From the Woodlands you will have a 20min commute to work. You will have a 45min to have fun. You will also have a 45min drunk drive unless you plan to crash at friends places. The big difference will be the price.
Mid 20's, Male, Single, Zero kids. I would find a roommate if I lived in Midtown. The price difference between a 1 and 2 bedroom apartment is crazy. I'm looking to spend around $1000/month, obviously, lower the better.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
Mid 20's, Male, Single, Zero kids.
I stopped reading there. Midtown.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Read back through his earlier thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...h-houston.html) and it seems like what he's wanting is space and a house (not an apartment), and doesn't care about nightlife.

In that case, the Woodlands would be a better fit, though probably not for the price you're looking for. Have you thought about looking into Spring, Kingwood, or even Tomball? All of them should have just as much commute access as the Woodlands (maybe even faster, because the entrances to I-45 from the Woodlands can get very congested) but with much better prices.

If you don't care about space anymore, then yeah: Midtown. Driving from Midtown to Greenspoint with no rush hour traffic should take you about 25 minutes. Not much difference. And your only route is pretty much also I-45 unless you want to pay to use the Hardy Tollway.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Read back through his earlier thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...h-houston.html) and it seems like what he's wanting is space and a house (not an apartment), and doesn't care about nightlife.
He doesn't know what he is talking about. I kid I kid. No reason for him to be in TW, space or not.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm just checking out the areas right now. I found some people I might be able to move in with in Midtown. They are pretty good sized apartments with a reasonable $/sq. ft. I would be willing to 'rough it' in an apartment in Midtown for a year. I wouldn't want move to The Woodlands then regret it. Midtown is at the top of my list and I'm sure it will stay that way after I visit.

Crono_Clone, I am liquidating some of my assets and I know I will be moving and plan on storing them at my parents house in a spare bedroom to prevent some storage fees. This might sound crazy, but I have never lived in an apartment. years in college included.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
I'm just checking out the areas right now. I found some people I might be able to move in with in Midtown. They are pretty good sized apartments with a reasonable $/sq. ft. I would be willing to 'rough it' in an apartment in Midtown for a year. I wouldn't want move to The Woodlands then regret it. Midtown is at the top of my list and I'm sure it will stay that way after I visit.

Crono_Clone, I am liquidating some of my assets and I know I will be moving and plan on storing them at my parents house in a spare bedroom to prevent some storage fees. This might sound crazy, but I have never lived in an apartment. years in college included.
Hehe yeah, you should adjust soon enough. A lot of people do move to a new city thinking that they can live just like they do now (lots of space, privacy, etc), but space is the first thing to go in a big city. It might feel weird at first having all these people around you (apartment) who could probably hear what you're doing if they put their ears to the wall, but meh....you get used to it haha.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Can anyone recommend some apartments to look at while I'm in the area. I have found the larger ones, but I would be interested in looking at the smaller apartments. 5-25 apartments, if there are any.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Also, any information on using the train to go to Greenspoint. What are your thoughts on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston